• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Cardcaptor Sakura (TV) (via Crunchyroll).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:11 pm Reply with quote

Cardcaptor Sakura

Genres: adventure, magic, romance
Themes: magical girl, school

Plot Summary: Sakura Kinomoto was an ordinary 4th grader until the day she opened a strange book and let dozens of powerful magic cards loose on the world. Keroberos, the Guardian of the Clow Cards, informs Sakura that it is now her responsibility to find and capture the freed cards. However, much to the reluctant Sakura's dismay, things aren't going to be easy for her; simply saying magic words and waving her wand around isn't good enough. Each card is a living, thinking, extremely powerful being. She'll have to learn to cope with her new responsibilities, as well as ordinary troubles involving love, school, family, and friends. With the support of her friend Tomoyo and a young boy with powers of his own, she must learn how to use her newly awakened magical abilities to collect each card and prevent the disaster that will befall the world if she doesn't.
----------------------------------

Since Crunchyroll is about to stream the entire series (ANN Announcement), I figured it might be a good time to create a series discussion thread for this oldie but goodie. I checked the series discussion index thread and didn't see any entry there, and I assume if there is a discussion thread it is probably many years old.

I've read a few of the news articles to try and get a better understanding for the release schedule, and it seems like all of the subbed episodes will come out on Tuesday August 12, and dubbed episodes "as produced," so I'm not sure if that means there will be a roll out of the dubbed episodes in some way? Well, anyway, I figured it might be nice to have a thread to discuss the show.

I went to re-watch episode 1 in advance of the CR release. I haven't watched the show in years, and there were all kinds of memories that flooded back after watching just a little bit. For example, I remember thinking Sakura was kind of "cool" because she gets about on inline skates. I guess that was back when inline skates were such a huge fad, but it's really kind of interesting to think about now since inline skates (like skateboards) were kind of looked at in pop culture as a "boys" type of thing. I recall someone else in the forum earlier talking about the psychology of magical girl shows (I think it was in the thread discussing the lack of "magical boy" shows), and how they thought that transforming into a magical girl for battle was sort of like a girl taking on some kind of role that society normally left to boys (battling evil), and so the girls transformed into a different person in order to take on that "warrior" role. If you accepted that theory, then I wonder if Sakura might be a subversion of that type of concept if she is presented in that "tomboyish" manner from the get-go. Just some food for thought.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:21 pm Reply with quote
I watched the subbed and dubbed before. (well I re-watched the dubbed a few years ago even though I watched it before during my childhood). Overall, it turned out to be one of my favorite all time series.

It's an instant classic and I like the characters and overall story. The Japanese version has some hidden mature themes with the relationship between two particular characters. The only two problems I had with the show are perhaps some less emphasis on the cards (with some over usage on some cards like the Fly card despite it getting little characterization). Some other cards like the Mirror Card really stood out and I liked how the show focused on them occasionally. The other problem is perhaps the show dragged a bit during the third season. Overall, an excellent series though imo. I would watch some of these episodes occasionally still even today. I'll probably check out CR's Cardcaptor Sakura release next week when it comes out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:57 pm Reply with quote
The quality of animation gives it a very dated look, but it's still a classic that defined a genre. I'm glad I picked up the whole set of DVD singles when Right Stuf was offering them as a bundle.

I could see myself watching it on CR over the next few weeks.
heroictype

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:13 pm Reply with quote
This one's an old favorite that I've been meaning to rewatch for quite some time, so I'm definitely taking this chance. I consider Sakura a pioneer member of the inspiring magical girl heroines club (also featuring Usagi Tsukino, Duck, and many more), and her adventures are still charming.
SaiyanYasha

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Cutesy Magical girl storyline. it has Funny moments lovable characters especially Kero, and it's enough to say this is the best animation of Clamp i've ever seen in my life.Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1