• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Playing blu-rays on iMac display

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DKL

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure if this should go here, but I didn't see like a technical forum. In any event, my question involves watching anime and buying things, so I assume that I'm in the right place. If I'm in the wrong forum, feel free to move the topic.

So, I feel that my iMac display is a lot better than my current TV.

It just occurred to me that I should probably consider watching Blu-Rays on it (particularly, I wanna see Cardcaptor Sakura on the thing), but there seems to be a lot of research involved and I'm not sure what the best solution is.

I'm currently considering getting a blu-ray drive:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SE-506CB-RSBD-Blu-ray-External/dp/B00JJGFRIQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407977281&sr=8-1&keywords=blu-ray+drive+mac

And... some 3rd party software to actually play the discs:

http://www.macworld.com/article/1160977/blu_ray_movie_playback_comes_to_the_mac.html

(though not this one since it's getting put on blast... is there better software for my purposes?)

Am I on the right track?

Are there better options?

(I was initially considering hooking my PS3 up to the monitor, but I'm to understand that there are issues associated with this)

Anyway, advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advanced.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:11 pm Reply with quote
playing blu-rays on a macintosh OSX is a bad, bad idea.

using your monitor is fine, not sure about your model imac, search your model imac and 'how to use imac as an external monitor'

the reason is, apple does not support many codecs because they dont want to play licensing fees. you may have audio issues with blu-ray on OSX, AC3 is not supported as well as some other surround sound properties.

here is a ridiculously expensive gadget
there may be cheaper idk

Last edited by potatochobit on Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
DKL

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, that was my main worry: it seems like everywhere I read, there's issues.

That said, I would be down for using my iMac just as a display (that's how I'd want it anyway), but it seems that route has its own share of headaches (at least, this is the case for using a PS3).

I have like an HDMI/DVI converter thing... assuming I'm on the right path, what's the next step?

Is there a way to hook up any kind of blu-ray player to my display without having to deal with issues?

(what I mean is, if it works, I'm just gonna go out and buy a blu-ray player... I just wanna make this as hassle free as possible)
potatochobit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:19 pm Reply with quote
sadly my apple knowledge is very limited
try asking here for better info

http://forums.macrumors.com/index.php

if your imac is hdmi ready, just plugin your ps3 or bluray player
thats it
DKL

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually browsing that place and it's a little hard to get a specific answer for whatever reason lol

Was hoping someone here was doing what I intend on doing so as to get the TL;DR version of everything.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:44 pm Reply with quote
not sure if u can return your dongle

something else u might consider is buying a PC laptop
I saw some last week fro 250$ amd A4s
that's fine to watch blurays

or u can get these korean LCDs very cheap on ebay

here is a cheap 250$ 40" TV
DKL

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:52 pm Reply with quote
At that point though, I might just continue to watch stuff on my current setup (which is not bad, but my iMac display, at least as far as I can see, is a lot better)...

Anyway, I'll continue my research.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:02 pm Reply with quote
the imac display has better color accuracy and is brighter which makes it look good and has high resolution

any decent computer monitor can display very good color with something called a colorimeter like a colormunki which is what I use

however, bluray only plays in 1080p, so once u have that resolution on your TV going higher won't make an improvement but going a larger 'screen' might

since you already own an imac by all means try to use the hdmi but dont spend too much on this
if you have a thunderbolt model imac it's most likely not possible

keep in mind, the bad thing about computer bluray software is every few years you are forced to purchase an upgrade. most companies claim they no longer support the old model and will stop updating your DRM called an AACS key. When that happens no new blurays will be playable. This is not an issue on stand alone blu-ray players.
DKL

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Kinda browsing through here and they are talking about displays comparable to the 27-inch screen I currently have:

http://forums.n4g.com/Is-there-a-PC-screen-that-looks-as-good-a-273939-iMac-screen-m921388.aspx

I'm... hoping to not get another display at this point because there's literally no room anywhere (I even have like an ACER monitor sitting on my living room floor right now... is actually pretty good for fighting games according to people who have played on it, so it might be my game setup as soon as I stop being lazy).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1