• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The real ages of Mitsuko Horie and Yasunori Masutani

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Southkaio

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:31 am Reply with quote
The real age of Mitsuko Horie:

Every website told me that she was born in 1957. Since she began her career in the 1960s, the 1940s (or the late 1930s) seem plausible as her decade of birth.

The real age of Yasunori Masutani:

According to IMDb, he was born in 1947, not 1961.

Your thoughts?
omiya

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:23 am Reply with quote
Southkaio wrote:
The real age of Mitsuko Horie:

Every website told me that she was born in 1957. Since she began her career in the 1960s, the 1940s (or the late 1930s) seem plausible as her decade of birth.

The real age of Yasunori Masutani:

According to IMDb, he was born in 1947, not 1961.

Your thoughts?

Wikipedia (Japanese) mentions her appearing on a television programme in 1966, but that her first professional appearance was 1969.

I saw her live in January 2013 with Ichirou Mizuki and Hironobu Kageyama, (fourth or fifth row seat) and would believe the Japanese wikipedia entry more than imdb.com for her age.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:46 am Reply with quote
1) It's considered courteous to include links to the ANN pages of anyone you're reporting errors of.
2) It's considered courteous to include links to your proof of error.
3) I'm not sure if IMDB is considered a valid source (same as Wikipedia)

Now, that being said.

Mitsuko Horie's age s being sourced to Wikipedia.jp (which is considered a valid source). Her Aoni Productions profile confirms the March 8 as the day and month, so that's a partial cross-confirmation.

Reading her Wiki.jp page (via very poor Google translate), the earliest date listed for activity is 1966 (which would be age 9), in which she was part of a choir for theme music. Given that I've heard amazing stuff come out of a Japanese 14-year-old before, I have no problem in believing that a 9-year-old was part of a choir for theme music.

Now, for Yasunori Masutani. Source for his birth date is Wiki.en. Which we know is a no-no. Cross referencing to his Aoni Production profile, we have confirmation of the month/day again. However, Wiki.jp supports the 1961 year. His first role was in 1990, which would put him at age 29 (by the 1961 date), which seems reasonable for many voice actors.

Looking at the IMDB page... First off, there's no way to view sources nor contributors, and poking around, I've confirmed that IMDB does still allow random people to make edits/add information to pages. So we don't know the source of the 1947 date, which would put him at age 43 when he started acting.

Personally, knowing a few of his roles, which do sound "older", but only in comparison to the rest of his cast (ohai der, adult characters surrounded by children in .hack), I'd much more believe the 1961 date over the 1947 one.

As an aside, Japan has no problem in using children actors/actresses in things, and, at least in some instances, they go on to other things. Rina Koike, who played Sailor Luna on PGSM, had already joined a junior idol group at age 10, and was 11 when PGSM aired. The pre-mentioned 14-year-old is Asuca Hayashi, who had her solo debut at 13, and performed Chiisaki Mono from the 6th Pokemon movie at age 14 (her performance is actually in the English version of the movie as well). Even lead actors/actresses in sentai, at least, tend to be teenagers. I've even seen people argue that actresses are "too old" for the roles, when they're only 18 (16-18 tends to be the most common range for sentai lead actresses). So an age shouldn't be disregarded as being "too young", unless the roles are physically impossible (I think there's a few cases of same name where people are credited for things before they were born).
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:38 pm Reply with quote
No wiki, whether English or Japanese, is considered a reliable source. I could go an edit the Japanese Wikipedia article now, and so can anyone else.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:05 pm Reply with quote
English Wikipedia actually lists an exact source for Mitsuko Horie's birth date: "American Dream". Animage 32: 3–10. February 1981.

It will be hard to verify without someone who has access to that issue of Animage, though.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Nihonjoe on Wikipedia has it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Anime_and_manga/Magazines#Animage

He's probably the one who entered it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1