• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Brighter Days

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:18 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the audio lesson, I have never been interested in the audio format, and have yet to notice a problem with my audio, but then again I am not an audiophile.

Your comments about OVA's, doesn't bring much hope to us waiting for the Gatchaman Crowds OVA which supposedly gives us the climatic battle that was missing and skipped from the TV series.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:22 am Reply with quote
OK, Audio. Well let me get my Audiophile hat out and slip it on.

There's been a lot of talk, and opinion, over the years in Audio circles about lossless vs lossy audio ( Note : both words are flagged by my spell check as errors. ) and I find myself agreeing with Justin. For the most part you can't tell the difference.

The thing is that Audio, be it 5.1 Home Theater or classic Stereo, has to play thru speakers at some point and it is those speakers, with all their compromises and flaws that determine how good or bad the sound is.

So, If you have an Anime with lossy audio that sounds bad to you keep in mind that someone else with an different sound setup may think that that same disk is the best sounding thing ever and they may very well be right.

Mark Gosdin
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Answerman wrote:
but in the mean time I don't think anybody in the US would be too excited to buy a Blu-ray with a single episode 25-minute OAV on it.

And yet, this is what Aniplex USA could try to do with the "unaired" episode 25 of Kill la Kill. I hope I am wrong about it, and they include episode 25 in volume 5.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Sentai did release that one 15-minute Highschool of the Dead OAV episode seperately for like $10, but I wonder if that was just an exception.
omiya

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:43 pm Reply with quote
There are enough anime theme songs that are also released with a special version that comes with a PV of the song on blu-ray these days - a short form blu-ray isn't entirely out of the question.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:43 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Answerman wrote:
but in the mean time I don't think anybody in the US would be too excited to buy a Blu-ray with a single episode 25-minute OAV on it.

And yet, this is what Aniplex USA could try to do with the "unaired" episode 25 of Kill la Kill. I hope I am wrong about it, and they include episode 25 in volume 5.

Please don't give them ideas; I'm still hurting over my "singles are more profitable but only if the distributor doesn't mind diminishing returns on other titles" comment from last year. Look what happened.

Anyway, this kind of reminds me of the theoretical High School of the Dead OVA, a single BD with a twenty minute OVA on it. Of course, his point is stand alone OVA episodes being released these days... kind of like anime movies less than an hour long which are comparable. They just don't exist in this modern, direct market.

This Boy Caught a Merman. Wait, what?
LavenderMintRose

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Distributors do put OVAs/bonus episodes on series DVDs. FUNi but the 6 bonus episodes of Black Butler II onto the DVDs (or do those not count because they were included with episodes on the Japanese bluray release? Every other volume in Japan was one episode + one OVA, instead of 2 episodes.) I know Guilty Crown got mini-episodes on the US DVDs. Attack on Titan is listed as having "Chibi Theater" episodes. I guess there were other OVAs, then?
FUNi also just licensed the new Black Butler OVA series, Book of Murder, which covers the arc after Book of Circus, from the manga. And at last year's Otakon, they licensed Akito the Exiled, which is also an OVA.
Unfortunately, the other Code Geass OVA, Nunnally in Wonderland, falls more into what the answer described - non-essential squee material for hardcore fans. So despite the fact that it is the greatest thing ever, it probably won't get licensed.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully since Attack on Titan has several of them so far and more coming, maybe they'll be able to do a set like they did with those Fullmetal OVAs to make it more likely they come over.

I'll say I definitely prefer and enjoy when we get 5.1 for both dub and the jp track (mostly the movies and some OVAs as he said, etc.) and appreciate the extra work for a 5.1 dub like Funi tends to provide, over stereo. For example, I double-dipped back when that 5.1 Bebop remix came out.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Cutting up Night Shift Nurses? For shame! Too bad the hentai market here collapsed before they could license the likes of Kazama Mana.
IanC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
Sentai did release that one 15-minute Highschool of the Dead OAV episode seperately for like $10, but I wonder if that was just an exception.

Manga UK did the same tho it only got a stand alone release at cons (otherwise it was done as a special edition release with the series.)

I didn't even notice the missing chapter in Coffin of Cerebrum… Confused
normajean19

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Anonymous wrote:
Another title that got the same treatment was Hisasi's Cute Devil Girlfriend due to the chapter featuring children engaging in sexual intercourse.

Did this actually happen? I thought it was getting released uncensored.
ly000001

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Justin wrote:
I've heard gossip that "Show X had its masters lost in a fire," so many times, only to later be completely proven wrong, that I've stopped believing it.

I've heard the same gossip about "Project A-ko" to explain why we still don't have an HD version of it. I don't know if I would be happy or annoyed if such a version were to appear for sale on Japanese shelves tomorrow Confused
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Please don't give them ideas; I'm still hurting over my "singles are more profitable but only if the distributor doesn't mind diminishing returns on other titles" comment from last year. Look what happened.

While I seriously doubt that Aniplex USA takes into account yours or my opinions when making business decisions, I would like to recommend 3 things to them.

1. Offer ALL your releases on BD.

2. If you are going to charge very high prices for special edition BD releases, at least offer standard BD releases at more reasonable prices ($6-7 per episode).

3. Sell your DVD's at the same prices that other R1 distributors offer them. The reverse import excuse does not work with DVD's.

It would be so great if Aniplex USA listened to these 3 ideas. Wink
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Having been in Mushi Productions, where the film reels for all the old Tezuka shows like astroboy, etc, are kept (hopefully, _were kept_) only ~5 years ago, it does NOT surprise me in the slightest that they all burnt up in fires over the years.

That building is a death trap... an ancient all-wooden structure filled to the brim with animation supplies from 50 years ago... shelves full of paint that's not longer used, envelopes, knick-knacks... All situated in the middle of a random neighborhood of western tokyo.

There was talk about actually moving them all somewhere more safe at the time if I recall... Not sure that actually happened (I hope so!).

I can only sort of shudder when I think about what Toei picture's warehouse must look like.

Another anecdote... At anime sols, to put up some of the old Tatsunoko shows, they had to find the scripts for a number of them. This took them literally _days_ combing through their warehouse to find the _original_ paper scripts. These things are bound up with string and ancient parchment... Scanning them was like working with the freakin' dead sea scrolls. God the pressure of that.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:13 pm Reply with quote
^The theater plot from Inglourious Basterds suddenly comes to mind..
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4