• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What's been your experience buying digital manga? Kindle?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedSwirl

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I actually like reading comics in general on my iPad Mini. I think I can deal with having comics exclusively in that format. I just don't like DRM all that much, especially buying comics locked to publisher-specific apps.

I never realized the amount of manga that's already available on Kindle and iBooks though. How is it in terms of keeping up with official release schedules? And is the selection really match-for-match what Viz and Shonen Jump make available on their own stores?
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:50 am Reply with quote
For me it has been bad because most manga are not available on my version of the Kindle so I can't support the industry. I don't feel like buying a brand new kindle just to read digital manga.

I can also read scanlations on my kindle just fine so it makes no sense to me that my version is unsupported (although I only look at unlicensed stuff like Chihayafuru).
potatochobit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:58 pm Reply with quote
last time I tried to buy online manga it was like pay a monthly fee and get access for a few months... I think it was shonen jump.
idk, kind of a bad business model. I prefer physical books though I never buy them on the release dates.
I have a few books on ipad but none manga.
NiceAndBlue

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:49 pm Reply with quote
I prefer the Comixology app for manga. They seem to have everything that is available from Viz. For some reason the Kindle versions are super low res and just look awful on a 10" tablet. I had originally purchased All You Need is Kill through the Kindle app and it looked horrible, so I returned it and the Comixology version was at least double the resolution if not more. Sadly the Viz app is still not compatible with my Samsung Tab Pro. I would love to subscribe to SJ but I just don't want to read it on my computer.

The Crunchyroll Manga app is also really great as well. Lot of cool series that aren't available anywhere else.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Aside from getting burnt by JManga's closing, the only other experience I have is with eManga and that went nice and smoothly, beyond them insisting on calling it "Erementar Gerade". Haven't felt the need to purchase anything more than the two tanks I did at first, though.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:52 am Reply with quote
I just saw the review for Food wars and it is on kindle
maybe I will buy it...
I think there is an app for reading these on ipad mini

this is the first I have heard of comixology
I guess I don't mind trying a new series on DDL
but I insist on having paperbacks of yotsuba and rosario+vampire and hard covers for suzumiya haruhi

as for your OP question, I think they come out on DDL pretty fast, not like how anime on download to own are all old and terrible.

EDIT:
lol! comixology is owned by amazon?
is this cross compatible with kindle then?
NiceAndBlue

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:29 am Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:

EDIT:
lol! comixology is owned by amazon?
is this cross compatible with kindle then?

It was purchased by Amazon rather recently. Its actually one of the largest comic apps around, but it has mostly featured American comics primarily. Comixology is completely seperate from Kindle at the moment, but who knows if that will change in the future.
ajr

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:33 am Reply with quote
I can't speak for the pay-to-DL (until the company goes bankrupt) model, but Crunchyroll Manga is a steal just reading Space Brothers, And Yet The Town Moves, and Ajin. A Silent Voice is just icing on the cake a big bucket of frosting next to the cake.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:58 pm Reply with quote
I don't read enough manga for it to be worth it personally.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1