• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Haikyu!! (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:19 am Reply with quote
Kageyama sabotaged himself with that crappy serve.
Guess Oikawa managed to influence his play.
Luckily he managed to get a grip.
After Oikawa figured out their signs, he kinda lost it to the pressure.
That guy sure can read a situation and people..
Tanaka was pretty good this time.
Karasuno was struggling to keep up.
The way things are going they will lose 1st set for sure.
Switching out Kageyama was a good choice.
Wonder how will Hinata & the rest react to that & how it will affect their game.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Episode 20

Kageyama was the spoiler[one falling apart this time, he just ain't no good against that guy. Sugawara taking over looks like a good idea, should give the change of pace so Kageyama will learn to calm down.]

Also I will repeat what I said another time about Tanaka, I am usually not a fan of his type of character, but he is actually pretty awesome. I think Tanaka might be my favourite character in the show, his spirit just feels so infectious that he is really what is keeping them going. Him with Hinata scenes are always gold, but he really works off any character. I really care about a lot of the characters though, its a good cast.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:14 am Reply with quote
Episode 21:

Pretty good episode/match again. I liked some of the counters as well as the team unity from Karasuno. I got a feeling this is just the beginning though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:56 am Reply with quote
Suga saaaaaaaan~~!!! I love how he high fived Noya san and jabbed everyone else. Anime hyper So cute! Lots of great moments in this episode.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:53 am Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
Suga saaaaaaaan~~!!! I love how he high fived Noya san and jabbed everyone else. Anime hyper So cute! Lots of great moments in this episode.

Same and I loved how genuinely happy everyone was when Suga stepped into the game.

Looks like this will be the start of a long match between the two, hopefully Kageyama can pick up where Suga left off. I still really want to see Yamaguchi in this match, I want to see how he's prof recessed with his float serve.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:23 am Reply with quote

spoiler[Kageyama got booted off the field.
Koshi came in instead of Kageyama.
Looks like changing players was a good choice.
Koshi is pretty cheerful and nice.
Such a nice change from Kageyama.
Seems like he lifted the teams spirit too.
Thanks to that things got back on track.
Oikawa made sure to ruin Karasuno's streak.
2nd set is their chance to take the lead.
Nice! Karasuno broke Oikawa's streak!
And Kageyama comes into the game again.
Guess he's gotten pumped up enough.]

Intense episode!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:31 am Reply with quote
Episode 21

Thinking about the episode I think that did not entirely focus on exactly what was so good about the change, it was showing Kageyama the extent of it being a team game, perhaps rely a bit more on their skill than blaming things on himself. Sugawara lifted all their spirits about their own strengths, by doing so was able to kind of hold the line, and now they need Kageyama just to help them get ahead.

A number of funny little bits, I liked Hinata spoiler[talking about the praise].
Bugnin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:48 am Reply with quote
Sugawara is the perfect backup. Not really gifted but understands his role on the team and he's smart enough to know how to interact with his stronger teammates.

spoiler[He couldn't salvage that first set, but he steadied the ship and put his team in position to take the second set.]

In a way, he's the easist player on the team to root for.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:08 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I really care about a lot of the characters though, its a good cast.

I think it's pretty clear the author loves all these guys, so we do too. Nobody gets totally left in the shadows and just called out like props when the plot needs them. On the contrary, it's like the characters use the plot to climb up on stage when it's their turn. Smile

That episode was great - halfway through I'm thinking it's about over because they packed so much into it without it feeling rushed.

I haven't read current rules in depth, but isn't it the other team's point if you touch it whether it was out or not? I always thought it was still in play until it hits the floor out of bounds. That's why you can go out of bounds to save the second or even the third hit if the previous hit sent it out. It sure looked to me like the ball bounced off his hand, not the floor, so it shouldn't matter if his hand was over the line or not.

TsunaReborn! wrote:
I want to see how he's prof recessed with his float serve.

Auto-correct on your phone? ;D Yeah, I want to see that too.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:43 pm Reply with quote
^^^ Unfortunately. It was progressed before the phone decided to do its own thing Laughing
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Do you ever get the point of enjoying a show so much that you actually get tired of praising it so much? Yeah…….that’s me.

I’m a natural born cynic and even this far into the series I still have absouletly nothing bad to say about it. The pacing, the character development, the adrenaline filled games……all of it just flows perfectly together. It’s very close to over taking Diamond no Ace as my favorite sports anime of all time (yeah I’m a bit new when it comes to sports anime Razz). I had no idea that anything related to volleyball could possibly make me feel this way xP.

A lot of care was put into developing these characters and it's something that i really appreciate about this anime. Even side characters are loveable in their own way and enemy teams are people I never end up hating. Much like Diamond no Ace. Part of the reason I love both shows so much.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Oh dear, this show. This episode, oh my god. I found myself squealing every time spoiler[Suga celebrated a score], and his expression whenspoiler[ Ukai said "Next time"] literally drove me to tears. Also loved howspoiler[ he greeted everyone with hardslaps, and how he just naturally changed the flow of the game]. Oikawa's dubbing him of spoiler["Mr. Refreshing"] couldn't be more spot-on.

This show and its characters are so beautiful I just have no words. The bar for sports anime is being set so high by this series. I love it so much that I can't say anything but mindless rambling
Bugnin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Oh, and I can't get over how badass those warmups look. They would make a killing off of team apparel sales.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:05 pm Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
Do you ever get the point of enjoying a show so much that you actually get tired of praising it so much? Yeah…….that’s me.

I’m a natural born cynic and even this far into the series I still have absouletly nothing bad to say about it. The pacing, the character development, the adrenaline filled games……all of it just flows perfectly together. It’s very close to over taking Diamond no Ace as my favorite sports anime of all time (yeah I’m a bit new when it comes to sports anime Razz). I had no idea that anything related to volleyball could possibly make me feel this way xP.

A lot of care was put into developing these characters and it's something that i really appreciate about this anime. Even side characters are loveable in their own way and enemy teams are people I never end up hating. Much like Diamond no Ace. Part of the reason I love both shows so much.

The sports anime genre in general has really hit a high note in this generation. I think Haikyuu is the best of the bunch but there is honestly not a bad one out there (unless maybe Yowapeda if you count bike racing as a sport). I'm a huge basketball fan and although Kuroko no Basket has very little to do with real basketball, its written with so much passion that I can't bring myself to dislike it.

The best sports anime of all time to me is still Slam Dunk, though Haikyuu is still very young and honestly has a chance to overtake it at its current level of quality.
danilo07

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:16 pm Reply with quote
I have been meaning to write post in this thread for a while now and I think that now is a perfect time for it.
Frankly, I enjoy the show but not as nearly as much you guys do. The pacing can get really slow at times, especially the pre-tournament episodes, which were stretched far too much. I understand that they were trying to hype up matches as much as possible, but it came at a cost of making really bored with episodes before matches. At one point Kageyama's motivational speeches got too repetitive. OK so he inserted some enthusiasm in Hinata once and it worked, I was really pumped up after that. But then the same scenario started repeating and I quickly became desensitized and bored. The direction in latest episodes felt flat and ever since Dateko episode ,the animation quality is slowly degrading .Hell, I have noticed that they are reusing animation.
It's a fun show, but Ping Pong is still a lot better.
EDIT: Oh, I also forgot to mention how the extraneous and obvious observations made by characters ruin the flow of game. Same thing applies to flashbacks, that are often repeated and unnecessary.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 23