• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kiddy Grade 2 - start getting excited!

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amasa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:02 am Reply with quote
The Kiddy Grade 2 pilot has been out for ages now but I only saw it today.

It looks excellent, I am more excited for this title than anything else this year and the pilot has only made me more excited.
So from the looks of things we are going to get an indepth explanation of Eclaire and Lumiere's past and how they met. Mini Eclaire looks really cute but I thought that her body in season 1 was "new" and the shot of her as a child in the pilot looked like a mini version of that body... Am I just confusing myself or should her child appearance be something completely different if she has gone through a number of different looking bodies.

As for all their new skins, I wasn't too impressed. I really don't like Eclaire with red hair, it just doesn't suit her. I actually prefer Lumiere's new skin to her old one though. Eclaire with the dark blue hair throwing chocolate bombs was pretty cool though, I like it how she keeps her little hair-flip trait throughout her characters. Lumiere's final fantasy braid thing is very cool too. I kind of wish they changed the faces a little bit more though, but I suppose some familiarity will help get over the initial character change.
I'm glad that we might get to see a lot of her past in different bodies but I'm not sure what it will accomplish. It could only mean that the new villain has something to do with that. I can't remember from the first season spoiler[ did we ever find out about that guy who created her? Did he die or was there an open ending with him?]

One main wish I have for season 2 is that Tweedledum and Lumiere's potential romance actually eventuates instead of just itching at yuri fanservice. I'd love it if they actually developed it and created some drama out of their affection for each, maybe threatening Lumiere's everlasting partnership with Eclaire.

Also there seems to be a new character, the woman (or man?) with glasses and long blonde hair. The little boy is that king from the snob planet right? I never liked him but that's what I love about Kiddy Grade - character development of characters you thought were fillers. They recycle so much and it's great that we can actually recognize "new" leading characters.

Anyway, it looks like I'm going to have to get used to the ecchi. The last ecchi title I watched was KG1 and it took me some time to get used to it then. I don't like the fanservice at all but it's a small price to pay for good animation, excellent action and thoughtful drama.

Does anybody have any news like when the first episode is going to be aired? It'd be nice if Funimation picked this up extra early, I love what they did with KG1.

Aside from that Hirano's back so I'm happy Very Happy !

[EDIT: Removed the link for the video, as it is essentially a segemented fansub. -TK]
Iritscen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:28 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty excited. I don't know how much enthusiasm you will see on this board in general, though. People here don't usually rave about KG much. But certainly there are a lot of things that could be explained in this sequel that we never got answers to. Think about Armbrust, for instance. His character was just begging for some backstory.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:48 am Reply with quote
It should be noted that these are not 'new skins' for Eclair and Lumiere. These are new characters, though I don't recall their names at the moment.

In any case, the pilot was beautiful and I am really looking forward to seeing the new series.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:55 am Reply with quote
Amasa wrote:
So from the looks of things we are going to get an indepth explanation of Eclaire and Lumiere's past and how they met.

Not necessarily; we already know how they met (see the flashbacks in episode 20) and there's no guarantee the material in the PV will be included in the new series; I think it was there more for reference since there were scenes taken from during the first series and also the novels and manga which may have been included just as a recap of sorts.
Quote:
Mini Eclaire looks really cute but I thought that her body in season 1 was "new" and the shot of her as a child in the pilot looked like a mini version of that body... Am I just confusing myself or should her child appearance be something completely different if she has gone through a number of different looking bodies.

The 'mini' Eclair in the PV is taken from the Pr. novels set 10 years prior to the first series. If you rewatch episode 10 you will see her in the second eyecatch and also see adult Lumiere in one of the flashbacks in that episode.
Quote:
Eclaire with the dark blue hair throwing chocolate bombs was pretty cool though, I like it how she keeps her little hair-flip trait throughout her characters.

That wasn't Eclair but one of the two new heroines, Que Feuilles (according to Newtype; her name in katakana is ク・フィーユ)
Quote:
Lumiere's final fantasy braid thing is very cool too.

And that would be the other new heroine, Ascule (アスクール, again, translation according to Newtype)
Quote:
I can't remember from the first season spoiler[ did we ever find out about that guy who created her? Did he die or was there an open ending with him?]

You'll have to explain that again as I don't follow.
Quote:
Also there seems to be a new character, the woman (or man?) with glasses and long blonde hair.

That's Hiver (イヴェール, my translation this time)
Quote:
The little boy is that king from the snob planet right?

You're thinking of Tim I assume? The new boys name is actually Zoma (ゾマ). When I first saw the streaming preview i thought he might be a young Chevalier.
Quote:
Anyway, it looks like I'm going to have to get used to the ecchi. The last ecchi title I watched was KG1 and it took me some time to get used to it then. I don't like the fanservice at all but it's a small price to pay for good animation, excellent action and thoughtful drama.

Ah, someone after my own heart Smile
Quote:
Does anybody have any news like when the first episode is going to be aired? It'd be nice if Funimation picked this up extra early, I love what they did with KG1.

Bets are on for October, since the Kiddy Grade movies finish showing in September and the previous gímik shows both also premiered in October. Also, FUNimation has expressed an interest.
Quote:
Aside from that Hirano's back so I'm happy Very Happy !

We can only hope, but nothing is guaranteed.

Iritscen wrote:
But certainly there are a lot of things that could be explained in this sequel that we never got answers to. Think about Armbrust, for instance. His character was just begging for some backstory.

There is a lot explained offscreen in the Continuity Files, the novels, audio novels, manga and in Conclusion, but little has been translated into English. As to Armbrust, he did get some backstory.

See also:
anime#7612
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=28435
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2006-10-04/kiddy-grade-2
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=28486
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2007-01-29/gits-solid-state-society-in-july (link misnamed)
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=32253
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Iritscen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, but what were the Continuity Files? I suppose I am out of the loop when it comes to all these other media -- the novels, manga and whatnot.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:34 pm Reply with quote
The Continuity Files were hardback books of about 150-180 pages included with the Japanese Collector's Edition DVDs. The first half was filled with storyboards (or "conte"=continuity, hence the name, with matching script and screenshots) and the rest was character info, design sketches and other background info (the exception being the first volume which had the storyboards for the complete first episode).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Iritscen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Damn those Japanese. How dare they have access to anime-related materials that I don't.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:08 pm Reply with quote
I have access to most of what it available (all the DVDs, soundtracks continuity files, novels, manga and a pile of settei, although none of the audio dramas) but can only understand a fraction of it Anime cry
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Ever since - learning of Eclair/Lumiere being immortal with the ability to "change bodies" - that was a big WTF moment.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1