• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kawamori of First Macross to Helm, Design New Macross

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Wow 'Macross' getting updated? Now that is news. Well, we'll see how this one fares against the older version.

I guess with new technology in animation it's time to redo the old. Though I can't think of what they could have done for the their 25th anniversary.
jgreen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Just because this is for the 25th anniversary doesn't mean that it'll just be a retelling of the original story, does it? The news blurb is kind of ambiguous.

I for one hope for a new story, one that builds off of the original without being a direct sequel, like Macross Plus. I can't say I'm too surprised Kawamori's involved....he's been involved in EVERY Macross sequel.

Y'know what would be a nice 25th birthday present? Actually getting Macross 7 and Macross Zero released in the States.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
pat_payne

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Wow 'Macross' getting updated? Now that is news. Well, we'll see how this one fares against the older version.

I guess with new technology in animation it's time to redo the old. Though I can't think of what they could have done for the their 25th anniversary.

I love Macross (it's what got me into anime in the first place), but I hate to say it...after the disappointments of 7 and Zero, maybe letting Kawamori have such a big role in the production is a little like letting George Lucas direct the last three Star Wars movies. They're both the respective creators and did well at first (Macross TV / DYRL and Star Wars Ep. IV were classics in anyone's book), but somewhere along the way, they just got ...I dunno... Kawamori ended up getting really pretentious in his later works like Arjuna (which wielded the "+5 holy avenger 2x4 of direct preaching messages to the viewer" -- I gave up after the first episode because of that) while Lucas kiddyfied much of the prequels (blessedly ratcheting it way down for ROTS) and turned them into bland pap as opposed to the lightning-fast space fantasy of the first trilogy.

Besides (personal gripe time) -- with Kawamori helming, it's guaranteed that, again, Hikaru Ichijyo, Misa Hayase and Lynn Minmay will not be making an appearance.
ABetterTimeandPlace

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:35 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
I for one hope for a new story, one that builds off of the original without being a direct sequel, like Macross Plus. I can't say I'm too surprised Kawamori's involved....he's been involved in EVERY Macross sequel.

He actually wasn't involved in Macross II, but otherwise, he was involved in every Macross anime sequel.
ABetterTimeandPlace

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:42 pm Reply with quote
pat_payne wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:

I love Macross (it's what got me into anime in the first place), but I hate to say it...after the disappointments of 7 and Zero, maybe letting Kawamori have such a big role in the production is a little like letting George Lucas direct the last three Star Wars movies. They're both the respective creators and did well at first (Macross TV / DYRL and Star Wars Ep. IV were classics in anyone's book), but somewhere along the way, they just got ...I dunno... Kawamori ended up getting really pretentious in his later works like Arjuna (which wielded the "+5 holy avenger 2x4 of direct preaching messages to the viewer" -- I gave up after the first episode because of that) while Lucas kiddyfied much of the prequels (blessedly ratcheting it way down for ROTS) and turned them into bland pap as opposed to the lightning-fast space fantasy of the first trilogy.

The thing is, Kawamori's not directing day-to-day on this one, according to the credits. It's going to be like Macross Plus, where he also executive-directed, while another director (Cowboy Bebop's Shinichiro Watanabe for Macross Plus) did the actual production directing. It's more like Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, to carry the Star Wars analogy maybe too far.

Quote:
Besides (personal gripe time) -- with Kawamori helming, it's guaranteed that, again, Hikaru Ichijyo, Misa Hayase and Lynn Minmay will not be making an appearance.

Well, the death of Hikaru's voice actor a decade ago pretty much sealed the deal already.

The only exceptions are small game cameos redubbed by another actor. Anyways, the focus on new characters was pretty much guaranteed as long as any of the original Macross staffers are involved. Remember that Macross II was created without Kawamori's involvement and while Hikaru's actor was still alive, and yet it didn't have those three characters either.

The fans who want more of those three will still want more for another 25 years, while the creators and the fans who are happy with how their story ended twenty years ago will move on.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Yoko Kanno seems to follow Kawamori around on his projects as well, so I hope to see her on board, especially since the originally composer is no longer with us. I also hope to see Miyatake back again.

PS Voice actors can be replaced as with the Zeta Gundam films which had a few recasts.
W-General

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:01 pm Reply with quote
I love Macross 7 and everything about it was epic....only a little sad that the love triangle never got resolved. Nevertheless, it's still a true Macross series in every way.

can't wait to see the new Macross
pat_payne

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:

PS Voice actors can be replaced as with the Zeta Gundam films which had a few recasts.

Also Lupin III, which soldiered on after Yasuo Yamada, Lupin's VA, passed away in the '90s.
Shale

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Yes, but Lupin III needs Lupin. It was either replace Yamada or hang up the series. Macross has already shown that the franchise can exist without Hikaru, and it can even be successful in the process (viz. Plus).
ABetterTimeandPlace

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:48 am Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:

That would be the case if both the creators and the Japanese fans want the character to come back…but that's just not the case. Other than the game cameos (which do have a new Hikaru voice), most are happy moving on. The lack of the original voice simply clinches it.
Area88

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:35 pm Reply with quote
pat_payne wrote:
If you want to see these characters again then watch Orguss which is being released on dvd shortly. All those characters make cameo appearances from Macross.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:46 pm Reply with quote
pat_payne wrote:

Doesn't Max appear in Kawamori's Macross 7?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1