• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Weta Workshop Shows Off Its Godzilla Concept Art

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lain'sHairline

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:08 am Reply with quote
A gentle giant.
Reibooi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:11 am Reply with quote
I know alot of people kinda nitpicked the new Godzilla design but I like it quite a bit. It was awesome how he had a very expressive face without looking to cartoony in the process.

The wait until 2018(I think that is when the 2nd one is coming) is gonna be a long one.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:33 am Reply with quote
Reibooi wrote:
I know alot of people kinda nitpicked the new Godzilla design but I like it quite a bit.

Wait there are people that hate this design. Shocked

Why, it doesn't look anything like Zilla (aka the Dean Devlin's Godzilla), and it's close to the original Japanese one. Don't tell me this is purists attacking this design it'a not done by Japanese. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Julliant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:46 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Reibooi wrote:
I know alot of people kinda nitpicked the new Godzilla design but I like it quite a bit.

Wait there are people that hate this design. Shocked

Why, it doesn't look anything like Zilla (aka the Dean Devlin's Godzilla), and it's close to the original Japanese one. Don't tell me this is purists attacking this design it'a not done by Japanese. Rolling Eyes

You are right, people are attacking it because it's not done by the Japanese. There were some comments about how Godzilla is "American" and needs to hit the treadmill.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:55 am Reply with quote
Julliant wrote:

You are right, people are attacking it because it's not done by the Japanese. There were some comments about how Godzilla is "American" and needs to hit the treadmill.

Yeah, that's Japanophile for ya. Rolling Eyes

I wonder what would happen if Godzilla's design was done by Chinese and Korean, would the same people complain and end up throwing racist slurs at Korean and Chinese for doing it, or would they accept it because it was done by "Asians" not "Americans"??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:37 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Julliant wrote:

Yeah, that's Japanophile for ya. Rolling Eyes

I wonder what would happen if Godzilla's design was done by Chinese and Korean, would the same people complain and end up throwing racist slurs at Korean and Chinese for doing it, or would they accept it because it was done by "Asians" not "Americans"??

Well, we'd get a lot less jokes/grudges/paranoia about the Dean Devlin version coming back...

(Sorry, but push the auto-troll J-word button doesn't quite work for this thread: The new Legendary Pictures "Lizard of Steel" G was all about pushing away the traumatic memories of 1998, and some of us still get cold sweats.)
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Even though giant monsters are unrealistic, it's the square-cube law (this principle states that, as a shape grows in size, its volume grows faster than its surface area) - since he's increased in size, his volume increases more:

Besides, it's all muscles, like the Incredible Hulk. Wink

Japanese Warm Up to Idea of American ‘Godzilla’

• The Internet rumor that the Japanese see the new made-in-America “Godzilla” as “super-sized” and “too fat” is all wrong, Toho would like you to know.

“It’s just a small number of people saying that,” explains Toho PR rep Yosuke Ogura. “The number of people here who are OK with the new ‘Godzilla’ is a lot larger.”

Local fan opinion is more diverse than earlier negative media reports implied.

A glance at recent comments on the popular 2channel message board site reveals more anticipation than snark, now that additional info about the film has appeared, including early reviews.

Japan, however, will be the last major market to view the latest Hollywood iteration of the iconic franchise that Toho launched in 1954 with the first of 28 made-in-Japan Godzilla pics: The studio plans to release “Godzilla” on July 25, nearly six weeks after its U.S. bow, but not out of any uncertainty about its success.

“That’s just the best timing,” explains Ogura. “It’s when big movies are released here.”
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:23 pm Reply with quote
The new Godzilla is made in New Zealand.

People are just demonstrating their prejudice and their ignorance.

Weta is a New Zealand company. You know, Lord of the Rings.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EastN3

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Dang. I scrolled down, saw the lizard head, and suddenly thought it was a Dorohedoro anime announcement. Get on it Japan! *grumble grumble*
silentjay

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:08 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Why, it doesn't look anything like Zilla (aka the Dean Devlin's Godzilla)...

Actually, after seeing the design work, there's a lot of similarities. They both look like they went from the same basic template, but while Tatopoulos' design stuck closer to a monitor lizard, the WETA design stuck closer to the original Toho design. The head especially looks similar.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:27 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
The new Godzilla is made in New Zealand.

People are just demonstrating their prejudice and their ignorance.

Weta is a New Zealand company. You know, Lord of the Rings.

Well that's the problem, these same type of people just assume USA is the only western country that do adapting Japanese stuff and not aware of other countries that does it. Rolling Eyes

silentjay wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
Why, it doesn't look anything like Zilla (aka the Dean Devlin's Godzilla)...

Actually, after seeing the design work, there's a lot of similarities. They both look like they went from the same basic template, but while Tatopoulos' design stuck closer to a monitor lizard, the WETA design stuck closer to the original Toho design. The head especially looks similar.

Yeah, I notice that too. But at least this Godzilla doesn't look anything like the 1998 one, and the reboot stick close to it's Japanese origins, that's the part I care and take seriously.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Nice, but goes for the reptilian look. We seemed to have gone for that look whereas Godzilla is more closer in face to a Asian dragon with a saurian body. I wonder what Weta is even doing these days.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1