• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment, Tales of Xillia 2 Games' Launch Trailers Streamed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:50 am Reply with quote
Until Namco decides on a physical release, they could raise the level cap to 9999999999999999999 for all I care and I wouldn't buy it.

Did pick up Xillia 2 today though. Its funny about a few years ago we had Vesperia on the 360, Symphonia New Dawn on the Wii, and a psp game. Now Tales bolsters 4.5 games on the ps3 alone, with another vita game coming in a few months, and Zestria sometime shortly afterward. Really glad Namco changed their minds on keeping Tales from US shores.
razisgosu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:07 am Reply with quote
Would you rather have no game or a physical release? Given the fact Sword Art Online is an anime, niche in the US already and on the Vita, a small user based platform, the fact Bamco brought this over at all is extremely surprising.

A digital only release is a safer option on an extremely risky release such as this. It baffles me people complain about not supporting digital only and then act shocked releases stop coming.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:35 am Reply with quote
Yeah its amazing how entitled people get over a game that we shouldn't even have gotten considering how bamco believes their vita games won't sell in the west.
The Count

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:23 am Reply with quote
For me it's not the lack of a physical releases that's preventing me from buying this title, it's the utter shit translation. I watched the first couple of hours of this game and holy f*** there are errors all over the place. You can tell by my post's that I'm not a English major, but when errors are this apparent and abundant it's completely unacceptable to me.

If they do this rush job bull crap to Tales of Hearts then I'd be pissed, but SAO, I can live without.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:33 am Reply with quote
You must have been watching a playthrough of the Japanese release which had an English option.

I'm a few hours into the NA version and there's no problems with the English.
The Count

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
You must have been watching a playthrough of the Japanese release which had an English option.

Nope, it's from the US release from here. If others are fine playing the game with a crap translation I honestly don't care, but If you can't see all the errors I don't know what to say.
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Bandai Namco's handling of Sword Art Online has been terrible. I'm fine with it being digital-only because well, it's a super niche title and it took pestering to convince Sony to even release Freedom Wars as a cartridge in Europe.

However, their Twitter account constantly telling people that the game will cost £29.99 in the United Kingdom when it's actually the slightly higher £32.99 and apologising for the error by mention that the DLC that was planned to be free anyway is still free (thanks?). Then there's the awful translation. They probably thought that they could save money by using the Asian English translation and fixing a few errors, but their proof-reading job wasn't thorough enough and what's left is easily the worst localisation job I have ever seen.
TheMorry

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:27 pm Reply with quote
I just bought and downloaded Sword Art online, however it seems the first game for the PSP is nowhere to be found? We were suposed to get that for free or am i mistaken?
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:42 pm Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:
I just bought and downloaded Sword Art online, however it seems the first game for the PSP is nowhere to be found? We were suposed to get that for free or am i mistaken?

Hollow Fragment is just an updated version of infinity moment. Once you get through the beginning it will catch you up on the infinity moment stuff then you can switch between the 2 stories whenever you want.
Knight-Hart

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:03 pm Reply with quote
The translation for SAO: Hollow Fragment is pretty awful. They call Kirito a "black man" instead of a "man-in-black". Seriously...

The English in general just sounds weird. Plus there's not English voice acting either. I wish NISA had translated it (I know, I know, licence rights...) NISA or Aksys would've done a much better job.
Zetabag

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:07 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Its funny about a few years ago we had Vesperia on the 360, Symphonia New Dawn on the Wii, and a psp game. Now Tales bolsters 4.5 games on the ps3 alone, with another vita game coming in a few months, and Zestria sometime shortly afterward. Really glad Namco changed their minds on keeping Tales from US shores.

And yet they still consider us unworthy of the PS3 edition of Vesperia *mumble grumble*

Anyway, happy this finally came out and I already picked it up myself though its a shame that us lowly peons in the US don't get the day one edition. Would have liked that metallic case and I'm too broke to afford the collectors edition ( if there are any left).

Last edited by Zetabag on Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
razisgosu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

Gotta pay closer attention, I've noticed it plenty so far and am in the same boat 2-3 hours in. There are grammar errors, sentences that are pretty wordy, and spelling errors. I took screenshots of the first couple I noticed.

I won't complain about it being digital only, but the translation is definitely less than stellar.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:19 am Reply with quote
Can't wait to get started playing Xillia 2, been really looking forward to it. I'll probably pick up SAO as well.

Agree with both of you guys on this (CrownKlown and Zetabag), I'm glad they settled in so well on PS3 and started really regularly putting out games and bringing them over and I would have liked the PS3 version of ToV to have made it over with them.

Looking forward to Zestiria and their eventual PS4 game since I believe they vaguely said they are already working on one even though they obviously won't talk about it until Zestiria comes out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1