• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Least favorite arcs of your favorite anime?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:14 pm Reply with quote
What do you consider your favorite story's miss?

The Celestial Tower Arc- Hunter x Hunter: This really might as well have been called "The Nen Exposition Arc." It had an annoying, repetitive cycle. Someone fights, Wing gives a Nen lecture, someone fights, Wing gives a Nen lecture, fight, lecture, you get the point. I get what Togashi was going for. He didn't want Nen to be just another Shonen energy source the heroes use to make fireballs. The thing is, "Naruto" had different chakra types, but Kishimoto kept the explanations long enough to know how it works, but still brief enough to not slow down the story arc. The Chakra explanations were spread throughout the series rather than pushed into one arc. Another example was "Dragon Ball," a series notorious for its padding. They didn't even need to give an explanation to how Goku could make a Kamehameha. Or, if you want an example written by Togashi himself, "Yu Yu Hakusho" only needed one chapter to explain how Spirit Energy worked.

The Fortuneteller Baba Tournament- Dragon Ball: The only good thing about this arc was spoiler[Goku's reunion with Grandpa Gohan]. Everything else just seemed like padding. At the end of the Red Ribbon arc, you'd think Goku's journey was finally over and he could revive those killed by the RRA, right? Nope. Instead, we get this forced tournament arc because the last Dragon Ball is being hidden in a special box that can't be tracked on the Dragon Radar. This arc is forgettable and skippable. Sure, it introduces Baba, but let's be honest here. Is she really that integral to the story? She only shows up now and then to act as a plot device for a situation either Kami or the Kais could easily fill in for.

The Zanpakuto Filler Arc: Bleach- The only thing more annoying than a filler arc is a filler arc that completely interrupts canon. I give the Virtual World arc in YGO a pass since that at least had some character development for the Kaiba brothers. Say what you will about the Bount Arc and most of the "Naruto" fillers, but at least they picked appropriate moments to start their fillers. Wasn't Ichigo in the middle of fighting Aizen's lackeys? Did they actually have the time to get out of the battle to deal with everyone's Zanpakutos taking human form? What were Aizen and the Espada doing during all this? Playing cards until Ichigo and his friends got back?

Endless Eight: Haruhi Suzumiya- Because I know people are going to add this. As someone that doesn't like TMOHS, I know the basic gist why people hate this arc. I could barely get through the episodes once. Seeing the same episode eight times will make me drive a pitchfork in my brain. If this were any more pretentious, Tanigawa would have been hopping around the screen chanting "ask me what it means." You know your story arc is bad when the voice actors (or at least Wendee Lee) talks sheisse about it at conventions.
Lain'sHairline

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:33 pm Reply with quote
All the Bleach filler arcs gave me a splitting headache, I don't know what the deal is but non cannon material is usually, but not always horrible.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:53 am Reply with quote
Daphne Arc - Fairy Tail
Not incredibly interesting, and characters felt like they were acting out of character.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:33 am Reply with quote
Alabasta arc- One Piece

A whole lot of buildup to one big anticlimactic waste of an ending. Years spent in terror of a weapon of mass destruction that apparently carries the atomic payload of a 99 cent firecracker from wal-mart.
DJStarstryker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:15 am Reply with quote
Sailor Moon SuperS, the season in general, is my least favorite arc of Sailor Moon. It has good music and good animation. There's some episodes that actually do a good job of developing the characters. But there's some big downsides:

- The villains are some of the least interesting villains in the series in my opinion.
- Chibiusa in general is not that interesting, and SuperS has this huge focus on her.
- Pegasus is not a good love interest type.
- With the exception of Sailor Moon and Chibimoon getting their Super upgrades, NOTHING HAPPENS. There are no new Sailor Senshi, nobody else gets new attacks, and heck, even the outer senshi are not present at all (with the exception of the SuperS special that hasn't been officially released outside of Japan yet).
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:21 am Reply with quote
Bugnin wrote:
Alabasta arc- One Piece

A whole lot of buildup to one big anticlimactic waste of an ending. Years spent in terror of a weapon of mass destruction that apparently carries the atomic payload of a 99 cent firecracker from wal-mart.

I forgot about Alabasta. Only, my problem was that it seemed to drag on for too long, but with this series, I'm used to long story arcs at this point.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:55 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:

The Fortuneteller Baba Tournament- Dragon Ball: The only good thing about this arc was spoiler[Goku's reunion with Grandpa Gohan]. Everything else just seemed like padding.

I'm trying to think of a retort but nothing's popping out. It's the arc that brought DB back to its scatological/comedy roots? It's a bit of good fun? Out of all the Tournaments, it's the one with the most replay value? It's stupid and silly, like the show used to be but then gets serious, as the rest of it became?

Black Water Mist, Otherworld Tournament, Great Saiyanman, The "is this Namek?" arc, that one was bad... GT, I want to say specifically the first one, "Dragon Ball Hunt with Kid Goku, Pan and Trunks" but is all of it allowed?
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:17 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Endless Eight: Haruhi Suzumiya- Because I know people are going to add this. As someone that doesn't like TMOHS, I know the basic gist why people hate this arc. I could barely get through the episodes once. Seeing the same episode eight times will make me drive a pitchfork in my brain. If this were any more pretentious, Tanigawa would have been hopping around the screen chanting "ask me what it means." You know your story arc is bad when the voice actors (or at least Wendee Lee) talks sheisse about it at conventions.

As somebody who only saw the first season (which I am indifferent to) and just started reading the light novels (which I like a lot more because we get pure and unfiltered Kyon), I should mention a few tidbits that I researched. As far as I know, "Endless Eight" was adapted from a short story that only covered the final time loop. You might want to blame KyoAni instead of Tanigawa for taking their little prank too far and killing the Haruhi Suzumiya forays into animation. Or both, if you consider Tanigawa approving of this as bad.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Absolutely any arc where the characters go to New York City and we get the great idea how Japanese think all Americans should be like.

Lol

But seriously, I hated this in Marmalade Boy and I hated it in Kodocha by 1000 times more.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:03 am Reply with quote
The Land of Grass Arc- Naruto- I know people are calling the Ninja World War arc where Kishimoto duked the bed, but I'm going for an arc from when "Naruto" was still my favorite anime. The arc only served two purposes. 1. Fanservice for Sasuke's fangirls. 2. Introducing Sai and Yamato, aka, the characters introduced to make Sasuke and Sakura look better by comparison. Sasuke only showed up for one fight before he initiated the Run no Jutsu. Nothing was really gained in this arc. Sai and Yamato are the most useless characters in the series. All Sai ever does is ask Naruto about his junk and occasionally uses that magic paint jutsu, and Yamato just gets his ass kicked and makes scary faces. This was the only arc where they were somewhat useful to the plot, but after that, they were pushed to the background. Sai is the worst offender. You know your character is useless when he only has a six second cameo in "Road to Ninja." Yeah, it's not like he's Naruto and Sakura's team mate or anything.

Conquerors of Shamballa- Fullmetal Alchemist: I guess this is cheating since this is a movie rather than a story arc, but this one progressed the plot of the original FMA anime. One of the big factors in the debate as to which FMA anime was better was the ending. Despite its flaws, I thought the 2003 series was still good on its own merits. COS, however, was a disappointing way to end the series. First, lets start with characters that got royally screwed over. Izumi, Ed and Al's mentor, pulls a T3 Sarah Connor and spoiler[gets insultingly killed offscreen]. Hohenhiem only appears for two scenes before spoiler[Envy kills him]. Hell, I forgot Hohenhiem spoiler[even died because it happened so quickly]. Now, lets get to Envy. Now, you'd think the show's secondary antagonist spoiler[being stuck in a dragon form in a world without Alchemy] would lead to an epic fight, right? Instead, spoiler[he only causes a minor problem for less than two minutes before spending the rest of the movie pinned to the ground]. Finally, we have Gluttony. It's like Studio Bones forgot about him, so they decide to spoiler[turn him into a rejected Hallow from "Bleach," somehow]. I can buy that maybe spoiler[eating Dante caused him to take that monstrous form]. What I don't buy was how Wrath spoiler[was able to kill him without a piece of his former body]. They never explained how Gluttony was made or if he was made from the remains of a dead person, so this just causes a plot hole. Now, let's talk about the villain. Eckhart has no character. She's just a generic take-over-the-world villain. Why Envy wasn't the villain I'll never understand. That's not even getting into her spoiler[rushed death]. After all the trouble she caused in Amestris, spoiler[all it took to defeat her was a few gunshots]. Finally, let's talk about the ending and why it was stupid. What was the point of giving Al the ability to transfer his soul into the armor? It really only served as a plot device for one scene. Do you know what that could have really been useful for? spoiler[Closing the gate on the other side so that the Erlic brothers didn't have to leave behind everybody they knew and loved permanently!] That big bittersweet conclusion could have seriously been avoided if Ed and Al remembered something as awesome and out of the ordinary as transferring souls to armor at will. What, did they lose their brains when they tried transmuting their mother too? I didn't hate the ending because it was depressing. I hated it because it was easily avoidable.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:18 am Reply with quote
I thought Level E was pretty funny throughout, but I got tired of the "super sentai" arc in the middle. The boys weren't that interesting, and the Prince was nowhere to be seen. Maybe I wasn't the right audience for that arc having never watched the shows being parodied. I thought the equivalent arc in Samurai Flamenco was one of the weaker part of that show as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1