• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mysterious Girlfriend X Manga Ends Next Month

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the-antihero

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:58 am Reply with quote
DAMMIT!! DAMMIT!! DAMMIT!! DAMMIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!!! I wanted this series to keep going for years!! Anime cry
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:05 am Reply with quote
Could the drool angle be considered a fetish or is it me over thinking it?
normajean19

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:24 am Reply with quote
Well, this sucks. I did not see this coming. Hopefully it gets a good ending.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:32 am Reply with quote
Well, now that it's over, I might bother reading the manga on Crunchyroll. Or not, since that gimmick got old enough in the anime.
zensunni

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:36 am Reply with quote
Well... That sucks! I have felt that the series was seriously moving the relationship forward for a while, with several "near-miss" kisses and his sister finding out about their relationship and seeming to approve of it, at least up to a point. spoiler[The chapter that best illustrates big sister's dilemma is the one in which she gives Tsubaki cologne to wear on a date, even though he doesn't know that she knows he is going on a date. Urabe nearly kisses him at the Karaoke parlor and sis takes back the cologne when he gets home. She says that he needs to concentrate on school for now because she has gotten nervous about how she reacted to her boyfriend wearing that cologne when she was their age.]

I suppose we can expect that Tsubaki will meet one or both of Urabe's parents in the next two episodes and that they will:

1) Kiss
2) Go public with their relationship with at least their families, if not at school as well.
3) Possibly do what the voice told Urabe would happen in the first chapter.
4) Maybe have a time skip to the "Mysterious Wife" phase of the relationship.

In any event, I really love the manga and wish that it were continuing. Even more, I wish that they were going to announce the 2nd season of anime along with the final chapter, timed in order to boost sales of the final volume of manga... That would be GREAT!
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:50 am Reply with quote
Oh, so this is coming to an end. I enjoyed the anime, so I do hope that it could get a 2nd season. Though, I've no idea how the anime sold, so that might not be realistic. Laughing

And, am I right in saying that this hasn't been licensed in English?
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:58 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:

It's on Crunchyroll Manga, but nobody has it for print. Kodansha USA may get it down the line.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:00 am Reply with quote
I think the author's refusal to advance their relationship (and thus the story) story sort of doomed this. Fantastic idea but this was never meant to last for a long time the way it was envisioned. There's only so far you can keep your two main characters in the same love purgatory until it gets stale.

Last edited by Bugnin on Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:33 am; edited 1 time in total
nargun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:05 am Reply with quote
Huh!

Rather sooner than I expected: it's been clearly wrapping up for a good while, but I thought we'd see Urabe's family situation beforehand.

Quote:

Not gonna happen. Seriously: the manga has not once hinted that the relationship would be long term. Or indeed that they'd have sex more than once. Note all that stuff a chapter or so back with the sister's ex-boyfriend? Ex, see: some relationships just don't work the way you hope.

[iI mean, Akira knows virtually nothing about Mikoto because he hasn't asked, and stuff like that. Compare with some of the other couples. Seriously, there's some nice subtleties here.]
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:16 am Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
Ali07 wrote:

It's on Crunchyroll Manga, but nobody has it for print. Kodansha USA may get it down the line.

Ah, I didn't realise that. I do hope that it sees print, would definitely pick it up.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:24 am Reply with quote
I hate to see this end but I had a feeling it would. The author clearly wanted to avoid anything beyond platonic relationships. It is frustrating but then again high school romance in real life almost always is.

One thing I love is the character artwork. The wonderful sort-of-crosseyed and sort-of goofy expressions and magnificent, slender and graceful female figures which the artist was not shy about showing. I don't see that remarked upon enough and I hope we see that kind of work elsewhere.

But Urabe and Oka are personalities that are going to be hard to replace. Clueless Boyfriend Y is a dime-a-dozen type but even he was done well enough I don't want to see him go either.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:53 am Reply with quote
Sad news indeed. Like others, I hope it ends well.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:11 am Reply with quote
I hope the series doesn't troll us with no kiss at the very end.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
the-antihero

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
I hope the series doesn't troll us with no kiss at the very end.

Expect it. Troll endings are pretty common

Last edited by the-antihero on Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
zensunni

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:47 pm Reply with quote
nargun wrote:
Huh!

Rather sooner than I expected: it's been clearly wrapping up for a good while, but I thought we'd see Urabe's family situation beforehand.

Quote:

Not gonna happen. Seriously: the manga has not once hinted that the relationship would be long term. Or indeed that they'd have sex more than once. Note all that stuff a chapter or so back with the sister's ex-boyfriend? Ex, see: some relationships just don't work the way you hope.

[iI mean, Akira knows virtually nothing about Mikoto because he hasn't asked, and stuff like that. Compare with some of the other couples. Seriously, there's some nice subtleties here.]

There have been tons of subtle hints that they will get married all along.

First, Urabe really comes across as the type of girl who won't be doing that type of thing before marriage. That may not be common in either Japanese or western cultures, but she is an uncommon kind of girl. (I wouldn't be surprised too if they do have sex before marriage, but my bet is that Urabe won't do that.)

Second, Chapter 12 - Mysterious Memory. This would be the "Meet the mother-in-law" chapter. It happens that she is already dead. Urabe dressing up in a pretty, frilly dress and going for a grave visit with Tsubaki is a certain indication of potential matrimony. She wanted to impress his mom and dressed in a manner rather uncharacteristic for her. Incidentally, this was the chapter chosen for the final emotional scene in the anime. A very good choice, I might add.

Third, Chapter 19 - Mysterious Older Sister. In this chapter, Urabe happens to meet Tsubaki's sister in town and has a nice discussion with her in which she doesn't let it slip that they are dating. At the end of the chapter, when Urabe tells Tsubaki about the meeting, she comments "I hoped that I would have an older sister like her someday." Tsubaki, while watching her leave in stunned silence, thinks, "Maybe my 'Mysterious Girlfriend' will become my 'Mysterious Wife' someday..." and then immediately returns his brain to the regularly scheduled 17 year-old male agenda: kissing, %#$!@, and all kinds of other things...

More recently, Urabe has met his "custodial mother", meaning his sister, told her that they are dating, and gained her tacit approval of their relationship. Tsubaki doesn't know this yet, but that is immaterial in this manga.

The only thing remaining that would be needed in polite Japanese culture is for him to meet her parents and gain their approval.

The lack of knowledge of Uraba has much more to do with the whole "Mysterious" aspect than anything else. If Tsubaki was asking tons of questions and getting clear answers, Urabe would lose that sense of mystery. He has learned some things about her along the way, but usually at the expense of some new mystery.

In any event, we'll know in a little over a month... sadly enough.

EDIT: Oh, and his sister's lack of a relationship is directly related to their mother's death. She didn't go to college because mom died and she stayed home to raise her little brother in her mom's place. That has nothing to do with the mangaka's take on where the Urabe x Tsubaki relationship may be headed. I wouldn't doubt that big sis gets back together with her old flame, who she saw on the street recently, as you noted. That may be a driving force in the last two chapters... (I really hope it is. I'd like to see big sis happy.)

Now, Oka and Ueno? I don't see them making it past high school. Oka is a live wire and will want to be free and easy in college. Not to mention that Ueno is such a dolt that he hasn't figured out that his best friend is dating a girl right under his nose when his girlfriend, the class rep, and several other girls have figured it out relatively easily.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3