• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
House of 1000 Manga - Unico

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Levonr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:37 am Reply with quote
I forgot to buy it and now its impossible to find in stock at a reasonable price. Is there anywhere I can buy a digital edition?
grooven

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:15 pm Reply with quote
I totally helped with funding this on kickstarter Smile I'm a Tezuka fan and love Unico! It is a beautiful book. I was surprised by some of the darker stories. The one with the prince in the forest is part of the premise for the first movie, but it's much darker here.
Doodleboy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Yeah... storywise it didn't floor me... But the art was pretty gorgeous. With the backgrounds and colors it really did feel like an animated film.
oriana3k

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:16 am Reply with quote
Levon_r wrote:
I forgot to buy it and now its impossible to find in stock at a reasonable price. Is there anywhere I can buy a digital edition?

Emanga.com recently added it (and their other Tezuka books) to their release schedule. Unico's listed for September 9th.
Levonr

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:39 am Reply with quote
Oriana3k wrote:
Levon_r wrote:

Emanga.com recently added it (and their other Tezuka books) to their release schedule. Unico's listed for September 9th.

Thanks, looking forward to it.
Deedlet

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:38 am Reply with quote
Levon_r wrote:
Oriana3k wrote:
Levon_r wrote:

Thanks, looking forward to it.

oh.. my.. god...
I grew up on the Unico movies and didn't know about the kickstarter or anything until I read this. This is wonderful and I'm so happy I'll actually get to read the manga. I'm going to look for some copies as well and see if I can get a hold of them in print. This made my day!
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:39 am Reply with quote
Over on DMP's Facebook page, they linked to this article and wrote:
Quote:
Great Review from ANN by Shaenon K. Garrity!

BTW, There is going to be sweet Tezuka news coming soon!

I can't wait to hear what it is! Am I going to be giving them more money? Probably!

I wasn't able to the do the Kickstarter, but with all four books that came out from it, I bought them all right away. I was lucky my comic shop got them, and I got them half off at that. The Unico book, while full color and gorgeous, was a lot smaller than I thought really. Atomcat and Triton were both about the size I expected, but Unico is my second smallest trim size Tezuka book after Dark Horse's Astro Boy. Also, I totally got my mom to flip read through Atomcat! I do indeed feel accomplished! Both Atomcat and Unico made me feel like I was getting diabetes with how cute and sweet they could be! I also really liked the Island of Magic movie. I re-bought it on Bluray (because I didn't have the Adventures movie anyway), I'm glad that's so easy to get, I wasn't aware the manga was already hard to find.
melmouth

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:22 am Reply with quote
This review did a great job of alerting me to the existence of this rare color manga. The pics you showed are adorable and also visually beautiful.

Thanks!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1