• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Nintendo Sales Down 8% in 2nd Quarter Despite Mario Kart 8

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
Nintendo's the most consumer friendly company out there, butit doesn't line up with what modern gamers have become. Anti-consumerism is rewarded in this environment and it's too late for anyone to really fight against it.

Because if Ubisoft says it, it must be true. Laughing

But no, even granting your premise that gamers have accepted DLC/micro-transactions, the idea that they actually want them is utterly laughable. Nobody passed on buying a Wii U because it lacks DLC or micro-transactions. That's just...I don't even know how somebody could suggest that with a straight face. Ditto that people buy PS4 or XBO because it has them. In reality, these are two completely unrelated factors. DLC to success is a correlation and not in any way causation.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:45 pm Reply with quote
The fact is that Nintendo can still make a pretty penny by doing for games what a lot of companies do with dedicated music players vs. all in one machines - sell to the medium. There's always going to be a market for dedicated machines with new software, as opposed to something like the nVidia SHIELD (Sierra Hotel India Echo Lima Delta) which is mostly a way of porting PC games to portable architecture. http://techreport.com/review/26871/nvidia-shield-tablet-reviewed A lot of that stuff is just too complex for most people who want to have an easy way to play games on the go, good, well designed games that are more intricate than Candy Crush, which is what Nintendo can do and do well. Yes, iOS can now play Bioshock, an Xbox 360 game, nearly console perfect. That doesn't change that tablets aren't designed as dedicated gaming machines, and some people prefer dedicated gaming machines.

But they can't compete in a home console setting. That's all. No one is saying the company should close shop, just that they should re-evaluate their position and strategies. Then again, the glaciai pace of chance in Japanese companies is infamous.
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:12 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
In 1986 Nintendo ruled the world. In 2014, they're losing money on home consoles and would be better served focusing solely on the mobile sector where their dominance is still present and if they do make home console games, sell them to third parties. No one wants their IP's bought by...EA.

Well maybe after they brought gaming back, but before then people said they were stupid to release a games console since no one wanted one of those so they had to trojan horse it into people's homes. Then you go into the console wars where every latest console release by Sega or Atari or Phillips was a prophesied Nintendoom. I was just saying people have been calling Nintendoom for a long time now.

Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Don't forget about activision and ubisoft as potential buyers as well. Uggghhh the thought of any one of these companies buying out Nintendo ip's scares the hell out me.

Why are these companies still in business despite gamers everywhere saying how awful they are? Because they still buy their games and support them. EA can destroy SimCity with always on DRM, constantly remove features from the Sims which were in previous installments of the games for no reason other than to sell them back to you for 20 bucks a pop, and effective ruin the Sims franchise, but people will still buy Sims games rather than tell them no. These companies exist because people allow them to so if it does come to that people have no one to blame but themselves.

It's extremely saddening to see companies I find beneficial and doing the right thing get criticized while parasite companies are rewarded. Is this really what gaming is now? And the gaming I grew up with in the 90s and early 00s now the weird niche lunch table to jocks and popular kids which are now the casual market? Is that why Dragon Quest, Phantasy Star, and other franchises I'd love to play are dead in America and not seen as profitable?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:42 am Reply with quote
Fedora-san wrote:

Is that why Dragon Quest, Phantasy Star, and other franchises I'd love to play are dead in America and not seen as profitable?

If they ever release 'em.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:50 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Fedora-san wrote:

Is that why Dragon Quest, Phantasy Star, and other franchises I'd love to play are dead in America and not seen as profitable?

Dragon Quest is being re-released, for iOS.
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:41 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Fedora-san wrote:

You can add Yakuza to the list too. 6 was announced but no localization planned for 5. Might as well throw in all the anime games like Digimon and Youkai Watch. Main reason I took up learning Japanese. Already imported a few games to help me practice. Not a fan of the modern gaming community.
lostrune

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:24 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Guile wrote:
Nintendo's the most consumer friendly company out there, butit doesn't line up with what [url=/sites/davidthier/2014/07/08/ubisoft-exec-gamers-have-accepted-dlc-and-microtransactions/]modern gamers[/url] have become. Anti-consumerism is rewarded in this environment and it's too late for anyone to really fight against it.

Because if Ubisoft says it, it must be true. Laughing

Didn't you watch Gamescon? People cheered when they announced DLC Laughing New generation of gamers are here.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Earlier today, I saw this article from Time Magazine regarding Nintendo. Here's the picture of the article I took today:

I don't know if you can see it really well. I apologize if the image is not good.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:51 pm Reply with quote
"Nintendo's refusal to put Mario on your iPhone is hurting."

Yup.
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:01 am Reply with quote
Mario, now on iPhone!

Super Mushroom: .49$
Fire Flower: .99$
Super Star: .99$
Yoshi Upgrade: 1.99$
Luigi Skin: 1.99$
Wario Skin 1.99$
Time Trial Mode: 2.99$

Nintendo is now saved.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:15 am Reply with quote
Don't know why Nintendo couldn't deliver plenty of quality and worthwhile mobile games. Square Enix and other Japanese developers sure do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:21 am Reply with quote
There's a market for premium priced games on iOS. I hate to have to keep bringing this up, but http://www.cnet.com/news/bioshock-heads-to-apples-ios-as-premium-priced-mobile-game/

You can't tell me that Mario is harder to port than Bioshock. Especially since emulators for Android OS come a dime a dozen.
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:53 am Reply with quote
Did you actually watch the video review? They tore the iOS port of Bioshock apart by citing it's terrible controls and graphics. It seems like games still have plenty of ways to go before iOS can claim to give the same experience as consoles. Especially controls. No matter what you do, touchscreen controls are not going to live up to tactile feedback buttons and analog sticks. iOS games are best kept to either menu-based games like those Final Fantasy ports or casual games which only require a tap or a swipe of the finger like Cut the Rope. Playing Super Mario 3D Land with touchscreen controls sounds like a nightmare.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it wasn't a review. It was an announcement. And they mentioned fears. So yeah, none of that was in the article. And of course, mobile controllers do exist, usually via Bluetooth.

The fact of the matter is that there is nothing technologically preventing a tablet from running 3DS games.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3