• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Karneval BD+DVD 1-4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:05 pm Reply with quote
It was very pretty to look at (although the lobster claw bangs of almost every male character got on my nerves) and Nai was absolutely adorable. Had this been a 24-26 episode series, I think it would've been a keeper, but at 12 they were just too rushed to tell things they wanted to tell. And there seemed to be no overall plan as to how to even do that, leaving a jumble of story threads that didn't amount to much or even make any sense. Which is a shame, because even if they could do another 12, the narrative thread has already been shot to hell. At this point it's not redeemable unless they started over, and that's not happening.
Quote:
A bit of purple prose in the English adaptation.

Tatum tends to do that, but I don't mind and it seems like it would be at home in this series. I would like to see his fashion extra though. Smile
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Tatum tends to do that, but I don't mind and it seems like it would be at home in this series. I would like to see his fashion extra though. Smile

He really does - it's actually become a bit of a joke with my sister and I - "Purple prose! Check the credits!" Smile

His fashion extra was fun - not worth buying the discs for if you aren't going to rewatch the show, but I really enjoyed hearing his take on the characters.

Also, I couldn't put it in the review, but what this show really made me want to do was go read the manga, which is apparently available in every language but English. BD.net, here I come!
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:39 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Also, I couldn't put it in the review, but what this show really made me want to do was go read the manga, which is apparently available in every language but English. BD.net, here I come!

I think the manga tells a more complete store (though it is still ongoing). There's more time to delve into the characters' pasts, etc. If you liked the anime enough then the manga is definitely worth checking out. Lemon-headed Nai is adorable!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1