• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sentai Filmworks December 2014 Solicitations

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:07 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Anyone else think the Chunibyo boxset is a bit too high? Right now at RightStuf, it's the same price as FUNi's Kamisama Kiss LE, but if you compare the physical extras and special features, there's absolutely no comparison. Kamisama comes packed with a lot of unique, one-of-a-kind items, whereas Chunibyo only comes with your standard paper chochkies and a keychain.

I think what Sentai is attempting to do here is to charge for both the bluray AND the DVD, which, when it comes to combo packs, you're not supposed to do. Not to mention that, as of right now, this collector's edition is the only way to own the show on BD and the only way to watch the dub. It's not as outrageously priced as their HOTD set, but it's still a lot more than what it's actually worth if you ask me. Confused

Yes, it is a bit high. And if I remember correctly, you made pretty much the exact comment about the price of the High School of the Dead special edition set. Your comments looks like soap boxing to me.
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:34 pm Reply with quote
I may get Reideen at some point, I do like things based on older series and I've heard the original had possible influence on RahXephon so...
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:55 pm Reply with quote
It appears as if Sentai is also now starting to combine their previous two-volume releases into single volumes; recently seen with Book of Bantorra and now occurring with Bodacious Space Pirates, Ef Memories/Melodies, and Hiiro no Kakera (among others that I'm probably forgetting). They're not even adding any special features or previously unavailable content or anything. Their main selling point is basically 'one less disc case on your shelf.' At least Funimation is doing this with shows that haven't had Blu Ray releases, like Index.

I'm starting to think that any shows with 20+ episodes (or two seasons of 12/13 episodes) that Sentai releases in two parts aren't worth picking up since they'll likely get a complete series release later on down the line. I mean, hell, the shows they're doing this with aren't even out of print. They're pretty much deliberately trying to get people to double dip. Me, personally, the only reason I'd pick them up is so I can sell my multi-volume sets and save some shelf space. But for others who don't have this issue, I can't possibly see why they'd double dip for something with the same exact format, content, and special features.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:19 am Reply with quote
I spoke with a nice guy named Mike at anime network and he says they think Bodacious space pirates will not be interlaced and both discs will be in 1080P this time.

now, does that mean it was re-encoded, idk, but it is something to look forward to.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:27 am Reply with quote
Sohma_Curse wrote:
It appears as if Sentai is also now starting to combine their previous two-volume releases into single volumes; recently seen with Book of Bantorra and now occurring with Bodacious Space Pirates, Ef Memories/Melodies, and Hiiro no Kakera (among others that I'm probably forgetting). They're not even adding any special features or previously unavailable content or anything. Their main selling point is basically 'one less disc case on your shelf.' At least Funimation is doing this with shows that haven't had Blu Ray releases, like Index.

I'm starting to think that any shows with 20+ episodes (or two seasons of 12/13 episodes) that Sentai releases in two parts aren't worth picking up since they'll likely get a complete series release later on down the line. I mean, hell, the shows they're doing this with aren't even out of print. They're pretty much deliberately trying to get people to double dip. Me, personally, the only reason I'd pick them up is so I can sell my multi-volume sets and save some shelf space. But for others who don't have this issue, I can't possibly see why they'd double dip for something with the same exact format, content, and special features.

Actually, this "release in two parts and then eventually offer a single collection" has been a long-standing practice for both Sentai and Funi ever since they replaced their "release shows in single volumes of 3 to 4 episodes each" method.

It's not meant encourage people to double dip. It is more expensive to buy a show when it first comes out in two parts, but that strategy is designed to snag the "early adopters" who need a title right away. The cheaper "single collection" release is designed to snag the budget conscious (like myself) who are prepared to wait 18 months or even a few years before buying a title. I've been patiently waiting for Sentai to cough up a Qwaser of Stigmata season one complete collection, for example.

The other thing that generally happens is that it is not unusual for both parts of a release to still be available when the complete collection comes out. What'll you'll find is that TRSI will usually offer those two parts at a greatly reduced price so that sometimes it is cheaper to buy the two parts than it is to buy the complete collection when it first comes out.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:04 am Reply with quote
Sohma_Curse wrote:
They're pretty much deliberately trying to get people to double dip.

That complaint only works if the repackage has a new dub or episode; They're honestly not expecting you to buy the show in two parts and then buy the same thing again in a complete package {Funimation, maybe. In the case of Dragon Ball Z, I think they're betting on it}.

As for me, I have a few complete DVD collection - most of them previously in spindle cases- and one BD- with 13 episodes per disk- so I'm sticking with the half sets. I am spending about twenty dollars more per show {it helps to shop at a 60-70% discount} but that's twenty dollars compared to waiting for two to three years for a marginal discount.

Funimation? I wait. Usually not that long, either.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:05 pm Reply with quote
The title I'm a little confused about is Detroit Metal City on BD. I can't believe there is much of an audience that was waiting for a blu-ray version or much of a group that would double dip on it. The animation is so basic that there's not much likelihood of an improvement from the DVD, so the only reason to pick it up again would be for improved audio. Not a completely insignificant reason, considering the musical focus, but not a great new draw. Maybe if you repackaged it with something else. Grab the movie license from VIZ or include a CD soundtrack... but just a BD upgrade. I'm a very big fan of the show but I'm not tempted in the least.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WTK

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions! DVD/Blu-ray Complete (Hyb) Collector's Ed.

http://www.rightstuf.com/i/sfccdk100
Quote:
This collector's edition contains episodes 1-13 plus an eye patch, stickers, postcards, a keychain, and a 152-page art booklet packed with character information, director and actor commentary, and more.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:30 pm Reply with quote
^ Oh, so the book is 152 pages? Okay, that helps take the sting off the steep price tag quite a bit. I can live with that. Smile
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:23 pm Reply with quote
The OVA, shorts and a big-ass artbook.... let's hope Sentai keeps firing on all cylinders with these collector's editions(even if the HotD set was the misfire people say it was).
potatochobit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:45 pm Reply with quote
I expect section 23 to be cheap, idk if limited editions are a good plan.

they put out a lot of shows but many of them are mediocre to sub-par. I would not expect too many more limited editions.

when i asked them to do a girls und panzer limited edition they didn't listen to me and did that weird OVAs on an extra disc thing, i can never tell what they are thinking though.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:12 am Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
when i asked them to do a girls und panzer limited edition they didn't listen to me and did that weird OVAs on an extra disc thing, i can never tell what they are thinking though.

I think it was done that way originally because of licensing restrictions. I can definitely see them going back and releasing a complete limited edition box of Girls und Panzer with the OVAs included later on, seeing as the show was a pretty big hit for them.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:00 pm Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
I expect section 23 to be cheap, idk if limited editions are a good plan.

they put out a lot of shows but many of them are mediocre to sub-par. I would not expect too many more limited editions.

The fact that Sentai releases mediocre to sub par shows (like all other R1 companies do) does not mean they will not do more limited editions in the future. I expect a well-received show like Chaika to receive the limited edition treatment. Captain Earth also seems like a likely candidate. And do not forget about season 2 of Chuunibyou.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Thus far, Infinite Stratos 2 gets a pitty purchase, for completion's sake sake since I already have the (much better) 1st season. I may also pick up The Ambition of Oda Nobuna, but that's about it.

Any and all copies of Diabolik Douchebags can go ahead and take their rightful and inevitable place in the nearest Texas landfill for all I care. Twisted Evil
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2