• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tokyo ESP (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:17 pm Reply with quote
I wish the flashbacks in this series was a bit longer so we can learn more about the characters or at least sympathize with them. Anyways, Rinka got a spoiler[bit stronger this episode after sparring and training]. Not too shabby I guess but I thought overall the episode was meh.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:01 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[Rinka was getting her ass handed to her by Ayumu.
Master Roshi sure paired her with an interesting guy.
Guess he can see things before they happen; precognition.
It's ironic how Ayumu's mom is against ESP users.
Rinka sure was serious about training..
Was fun when she realized his power & kicked his ass.
It was surprising to see Murasai show interest in training too.
Kyoutarou-Minami drama continues..
Ayumu's mom got herself attacked.
It's no wonder since she's against ESP so openly & actively.
Wow! Didn't expect Murasaki & Ayumu to make such a good team.
Damn, now the skeleton is out of the closet.
Wonder if his mom is gonna be ungrateful and judge him or the opposite..]
Takamachi Ryoko

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7: eh decent episode I guess, the pacing is still slow but action is a bit better. The part when Rinka spoiler[kicks Ayumu's butt] was pretty good, too bad the sound effect was dull, at least they make her look smarter in the manga. Ayumu's mom went spoiler[Senetor Kelly's speech, got attacked and rescued by her ESP son], more drama.

I like how the Fist of the North Star and Enter the Dragon got parodied this time. Even Murasaki's shirt said 300, obviously referred to her dad. And is it just me but spoiler[ the electricity guy] looks like Warpath from DOFP (probably because I just saw it). Too bad that we didn't see spoiler[Yoda] in the panda costume. This show is a whole network of parodies cross-references.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:38 pm Reply with quote
So it would seem that the Tokyo police martial arts master was a stuffed panda bear for many years before anyone encountered an esper.

You would think if they were used to such freakish stuff they would be able to cope with other paranormals better. Whatever.

45Kg Rinka doing body throws on 96Kg dad. Uh, yeah. Pretty goo martial arts master anyway.

I don't see how any of it is going to add up to them being able to defeat the bad guy espers but we'll see.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Agreed that the whole show is a network of parodies, homages, and outright rip-offs of other properties, but catching all of the references is part of the fun. And I did quite like the touch that spoiler[although Murasaki can copy skills from previous users of weapons using her psychometry, a body that is not conditioned to move that way pays for it afterwards].

Wouldn't say that Rinka is only 45k unless there's something in official documentation which states that, though. The way she's drawn, she looks like a more substantial girl than that, and given her athleticism, one would expect her to be even heavier than her build suggests. (I knew a girl in high school who claimed to be 50 kg at 62 inches tall, but you wouldn't have guessed her to be much over 45 kg to look at her.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Although, who knows in this show. The "elementary school girl" doesn't look any younger than anyone else, to me.
thebeats42

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:19 am Reply with quote
spoiler[now that the number 1 person who is against ESP discovers that her child is one she will probably either become a supporter of ESP users or just abandon her son.]
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:20 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[Ayumu & mom talk.
I knew she was going to be ungrateful..
There sure were a lot of anti ESP propaganda around town.
Rinka is still feeling guilty about Kyotaro.
Flashbacks to time time together were nice.
Rinka got attacked at the amusement park.
Good thing she trained for something like that.
Minami seems to be recruiting newly made espers.
She is definitely up to something.
There is no way she would just let Kyotarou go..
Still, Rinka got her wish.]
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:36 pm Reply with quote
More built-up in the latest episode...
Can I also just mention that the Chinese spoken in this episode was almost laughable? I'm talking about the girl talking at the restaurant of course.

Anyways, it looks like spoiler[Minami as gathered some Espers for the test for their next move. I really wonder if she will meet Azuma again in battle though. Oh that blush at the end Embarassed]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
I'm talking about the girl talking at the restaurant of course.

Her eyes are really creepy. The Chinese slave at least has quite a legitimate gripe but I get the feeling she isn't going to show much restraint when things get active. And Minami seems to have quite some talent for seeking out trashy and psychotic women. The one that didn't pass the test was pretty stupid though.

Political mom is political. I was reminded of an anti-homosexual right winger whose sone comes out as gay.

Does anyone know of any significance to dedicating the ending credits to naked (not that I'm complaining) Minami?
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:10 am Reply with quote
In these sorts of series (including the X-men), they tend to promote the "anti-power" crowd as being irrational bigots, and we as viewers tend to disagree with their position because we see these protagonist heroes that are out saving people and are quite nice, but really if people were developing super powers and some of them were randomly using them for chaos and violence, it would be TERRIFYING, like 9/11 on steroids, and a backlash would be inevitable, and not entirely unjustified.

I don't entirely agree with the anti-ESPERs here, but I can totally empathize with their viewpoints. If I were some normal citizen living through that, I would want anything I could find to get a handle on all these people walking around who might blow up at any moment. I mean, they are often analogized to other social issues like race or sexuality, but it's not like gay people are going to start spitting acid at you or something. Wink

Quote:

Can I also just mention that the Chinese spoken in this episode was almost laughable? I'm talking about the girl talking at the restaurant of course.

I bet it was better than the English in most of these. Wink Anyone else note the spelling error in Ayumu's homework?

Quote:

Her eyes are really creepy.

It's funny what they leave in and what they mess with. In the manga there are a lot of characters with really freaky looks, but they are more rare in the anime. Ayamu's mom and Rinka's "friends" are way more weird looking in the manga. Here's a pic from the manga:
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9:

I'm not a big fan of spoiler[Rinka but she really didn't deserve to get beat like that within an inch of her life.] Those damn espers will definitely pay...

It's good to know that some of their powers aren't spoiler[invincible though since Azuma was able to resist that mind control power. Also, we get to see a bit of Minami's past this episode. I sure hope Rinka knows what she's doing though because a round 2 against them is not going to be pretty.]
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:52 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[Minami reminiscing about her childhood days.
No wonder she became strong.
School under esper attack..
Minami got her powers in just the right time.
I knew they did something to Azuma.
He never would have helped the bad guys.
Seems like they were all being mind controlled by the blonde girl.
Poor Rinka got too much of beating..
She lost her fish and with it her powers.
The government meddle in as well & that's never a good thing.
They're rounding up all the ESP users.
Now they have more than one enemy.
Murasaki was awesome with those nunchucks.
Things went downhill really fast...]
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:38 pm Reply with quote
This is a raid! spoiler[Have you gratuitously murdered an appropriate quantity of school kids in your anime yet?]

Check out the latest episode, man. We're set.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:00 am Reply with quote
Sure doesn't look too good for the good guys at this point. Those women espers sure don't give us much reason to like them. Rinka sure got the shit beat out of her.

All in all I have never seen a good-vs-evil anime where it seemed so lopsided in the bad guys favor. I just don't see what little power Rinka has -- at least spoiler[when she has it] -- that will come even close to carrying the day.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10