• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) irregular at magic high school (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I don't think I quite grasp this thesis competition thing. If I'm developing a revolutionary idea that will change the face of the world economy, something that would be a national security risk if it got into the wrong hands, I sure wouldn't present it at the science fair. If the government is worried about that, I don't see why they'd let it be presented at a competition.

Espionage is to ferret out things being kept hidden, not things put into a public competition. I guess if they're just submitting their theses to the government who will never even reveal the winners (as they would then become targets), I could buy this, but as it is, it makes no sense to me.

Well, there's the obvious value of sharing this stuff amongst your peers. It's not like the presentations give away every little detail of the thesis anyways. That's in the actual paper, which is submitted through private channels. How well some one can present their idea can also reflect their talents and they could even get scouted. The venue is a lot smaller than NSC (since, like real life, people don't care about intellectual pursuits, they only care about sports) so it's not a huge public even like that was. And they take security very seriously.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Two episodes without ONIISAMA being said! Anyways, we get a lot of spoiler[Erika and Leo] in the latest episode. It felt more like a built-up. But unfortunately, this was also one of the weakest episode imo of this arc and last few weeks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:02 pm Reply with quote
This episode had two of my favourite scenes. spoiler[Erika/Leo and Mizuki/Mikihiko] OTP. Your typical "guy walks in on girl changing" and "guy accidentally gropes breasts" senarios, but, what's this? spoiler[It didn't happen to Tatsuya?] Mind = blown!
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:42 am Reply with quote
I am loving this arc already. Best girl Erika getting a lot of screen time and even a fan service scene.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:49 am Reply with quote
Episode 21

Wait, without a certain character's 'awesome" flooding the series I can actually see that there are other characters in this show, and that is actually pretty good. Fanservice clichés aside. Also somewhat confusing with some of the names being thrown around, maybe too many characters for me to properly identify each one's traits. We have glasses, red hair, sister, awesome, big guy, president, Espurr, pigtails, facial mole, boring faced student council accountant, purple hair, and guy in this episode that does not have any defining traits but apparently wants to be a soldier or something (he made a shield in that match).

"Was that overkill?"
Well spoiler[she was performing espionage, shooting out darts that release tear gas, and previously used a rocket motorbike, I think putting her in a position she can't pull another dirty trick] is pretty good.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:12 am Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
I am loving this arc already. Best girl Erika getting a lot of screen time and even a fan service scene.

She's my favourite girl too. I like Erika with a ponytail a lot more if they'd just combine it with short shorts and maybe a tank top.... ahhhhh yes.

A bit surprising that Erika is teaching Leo. I hope that we get to see more of those two together since they are probably my two favourite characters.

Last edited by Cam0 on Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:14 am Reply with quote
You just need to watch the opening to get a taste of what's to come.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:34 pm Reply with quote
I don't care what anyone says Leo's "Goldberg" tackle was the best attack I've seen in the series.

It's weird that I kind of liked this episode. And that's not because it didn't really have Tatsuya in it (though that's totally a plus).

This might be the first episode where they've directly focused on developing character pairings as well giving the side characters some much needed detail. Unfortunate that it took 21 episodes just to accomplish this feat though.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Episode 22:

So this high-security detention center. It is up to visitors to repel any intruders? Not one person shows up.

And I thought this "Tiger" assassin guy was supposed to be well nigh on to invincible. Then he gets smacked around by not one but two cliques of high school kids. Of course having Tatasuya on your side sort of settles things beforehand but still.

Miyuki: you naughty girl.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:01 pm Reply with quote
A lot of stuff crammed into this episode. Understandable, as they needed to fit in the rest of volume 6 so they can start volume 7 next episode. Got some cool fights and Miyuki in her underwear out of it at least.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:01 pm Reply with quote
The next few episodes will probably be rushed too...oh well. After 2 weeks of no ONIISAMA, I see that Miyuki is about full force.

The fight imo from the latest episode was actually decent. spoiler[Zhou] annoyed me quite a bit though with his role.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:41 am Reply with quote
The assassin is pretty weak if they can't beat some high school students.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:45 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:

Maybe that is the problem, he thought of them as high school students instead of actually pretty strong soldiers that pretty much have beating bad guys on the curriculum.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:27 am Reply with quote
Sometimes it's so difficult to keep up with this show. Names and all being thrown around while I'm trying to figure out what the last line/scene was all about.

Anyway wasn't that pretty man with a long hair spoiler[like allied with the baddies or something? Why did he press the alarm then? It seems like he went back to cover his own ass afterwards.]
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:53 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:

You can't put them on the level of your garden variety high school kids. It's not like they only started learning magic in high school. They come from prestegous families and recieved a lot of training at home. In the first place, magic is hereditary so each generation is stronger than the last.

Also take into consideration it was 3 against 1 and he was still injured from his fight with the world's greatest swordsman.

Cam0 wrote:
Anyway wasn't that pretty man with a long hair spoiler[like allied with the baddies or something? Why did he press the alarm then? It seems like he went back to cover his own ass afterwards.]

spoiler[Zhou is working with the bad guys, yeah, but that doesn't mean they have a particularly good relationship. He was going to take care of Chiaki peacefully as he eventually did, but tiger dude was sent in to kill her first. I suppose you could look at it as a dick measuring contest: both parties wanted to take the credit for dealing with the problem and thus put themselves above the other.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 26 of 33