• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
M3 the dark metal (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:54 pm Reply with quote
This show gets significantly better in the second half. Really happy that my patience finally pays off Very Happy (Let's see if I have the same patience with Argevollen).
Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be the case with most people. Sad

I have mixed feeling about the second opening song. I prefer it more to the first one. Problem is... the upbeat tune doesn't fit the overall dark atmosphere of the show. The accompanying visual also doesn't help: It gives an impression that everybody is doing fine Shocked

Sooo... This 'sin' the kids committed was apparently a misunderstanding: Tsugumi thought they (especially Sasame & Akashi) abandoned her while actually they were "only" running away in panic at the sight of the damage caused by the Lightless Realm. If anything, their sin was that they didn't clear up the misunderstanding soon enough Confused
However, what I don't understand is this: spoiler[Why did she have to wait for a whole damn 10 years until she finally decided to pay her childhood friends "a visit"... when she could've gone outta the Realm whenever she wanted to (didn't she do that in episode 1/2?). Holding grudge for 10 years in solitude has driven you nuts, lady Sad ]

Anyway... Glad to see Iwato and Raika are OK. Together with Susan, they are by far the most likable characters of the show. I don't want anything bad happens to them. Smile

Next episode will most likely reveal more of the villagers' secrets: spoiler[why they're able to communicate telepathically, why they had the lightless crystal & the alpha corpse, and most importantly: why the IX wanted them dead.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:32 am Reply with quote
Good to see some of us have held on and gotten to the juicey bits

L'Imperatore wrote:
I have mixed feeling about the second opening song. I prefer it more to the first one. Problem is... the upbeat tune doesn't fit the overall dark atmosphere of the show. The accompanying visual also doesn't help: It gives an impression that everybody is doing fine Shocked

That is exactly my complaint, it is not that it is a bad song, it is that it totally goes against the atmosphere of the show which has been a huge part of the show. The music feels like a betrayal to the tone.

Just look at the new ED, it has aspects that are important: brutal shots of necrometal, it shows the kids which are an aspect of the show's creepiness and done well with the covering eyes. Also nano is just perfect, you can easily add this to her list of songs in anime, like BTOOOM, Magical Warfare, and Arpeggio, where she seems really good at portraying atmosphere. This is only like the 5th anime she has been involved in and I really cannot get enough of her.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:38 am Reply with quote
Honestly I think the show really picked up around episode 9 or so. Of course even when it wasn't that great it was far from terrible. I've always thought Akashi had strong characterization (Sasame, Minashi, and Heito were fine too), it's the others who I didn't really click with at first. I don't think they were established very well, so the show's attempts to convince me that they were important rang a bit hollow. This got better when they finally explored Emiru's background, then when Mahmu got her turn, and the Iwato/Raika subplot is cute.

L'Imperatore wrote:
Sooo... This 'sin' the kids committed was apparently a misunderstanding: Tsugumi thought they (especially Sasame & Akashi) abandoned her while actually they were "only" running away in panic at the sight of the damage caused by the Lightless Realm. If anything, their sin was that they didn't clear up the misunderstanding soon enough Confused
However, what I don't understand is this: spoiler[Why did she have to wait for a whole damn 10 years until she finally decided to pay her childhood friends "a visit"... when she could've gone outta the Realm whenever she wanted to (didn't she do that in episode 1/2?). Holding grudge for 10 years in solitude has driven you nuts, lady Sad ]

In Sasame and Minashi's case, their sin is also creating the Lightless Realm in the first place.

I think it just took 10 years spoiler[for Tsugumi to lose hope that they'd come back for her.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:39 am Reply with quote
Oops, I missed a week

Episode 17

What I like the most out of this is I kind of spoiler[sympathise with Tsugumi, I can see how she ended up like she has]. She is not spoiler[crazy because she is a villain, she has lost it because everyone disappeared, and when she gave chase her friends got scared and ran away, her siblings helping them]. Mixed with spoiler[years of isolation] it makes complete sense why after spoiler[deciding to go to them that she is shattered and so vindictive.] Who wouldn't end up like that?

I actually feel quite annoyed at spoiler[Sasame that she apparently took someone important to her sister away, never went back, and due to fuzzy memories of it Akashi would fall in love with her].

Episode 18

And crazy spoiler[villain title enters from the other side]. Well it was clear that spoiler[mad scientist seems nuts by general character], and although being quite cruel till now, we finally see spoiler[his sins]. His spoiler[research into telepathy that he likely devoted himself to was sconed by his peers and seniors, and in following the woman that loved him he took disturbing steps and pretty much destroyed her village]. I can only assume by the way he acts that he spoiler[suffers from sociopathy and was not praised enough as a child, turning him into a sickly mind willing to do anything to succeed].

Wondering if spoiler[Mad scientist had a hand in the siblings not returning]? Looking at each character feels quite interesting from different characters' point of view.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:48 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I actually feel quite annoyed at spoiler[Sasame that she apparently took someone important to her sister away, never went back, and due to fuzzy memories of it Akashi would fall in love with her].

I thought it was pretty clear that even as kids Akashi liked Sasame, not Tsugumi. He even outright says his telling Tsugumi he'll always be with her was because he was imitating Aoshi, not because he had feelings for her.
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:03 am Reply with quote
What happens to our spoiler[Mad Scientist] may serve as a warning to every aspiring spoiler[scientist] out there: No matter how noble your goal is, always mind your spoiler[research ethics] because all sympathy ends when you start doing things like a total jerk.

Seriously, that is quite a gruesome death. And he's unrepentant till the end. Too bad. Sad

Okay, now... how's Heito doing?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:41 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I can only assume by the way he acts that he spoiler[suffers from sociopathy and was not praised enough as a child, turning him into a sickly mind willing to do anything to succeed].

Oh my, I was actually totally correct.

Episode 19

You know what, he might be totally unlikable, spoiler[but I could not help but feel sorry for him, clearly he had real problems understanding how his actions affect others, and maybe not his own fault]. Despite all that he obviously spoiler[really loved Mimei, but there was something so wrong with him that he did not realise what he did to her and that he pretty much became the devil]. He actually spoiler[forgot that his actions killed her, in the end what he wanted most was to connect with her]. Actually I would see his entire goal of trying to connect people as kind of ironic with what he lacked.

I rather enjoyed this trip into this character's mind.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:34 am Reply with quote
Episode 20

Well, spoiler[Aoshi is dead]. Turns out that going all spoiler[awesome had some negative affects on him, which should leave Akashi out of being really effective with combat.] Hopefully what they get out will be worth it.

I wonder if I was the only one thinking of Resident Evil while she is looing around the old lab spoiler[and a lumbering monster comes in]. Although the dialogue is too good for that.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, didn't expect spoiler[that LIMs could die. I sorta considered them effectively dead in the first place. I bet they'll move Sasame over to the Argent and maybe Minashi will get Heito.]
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:05 am Reply with quote
Soo... Will we get to see spoiler[Iwato in LIM mode] or not? Neutral

No idea how spoiler["becoming one" with Tsugumi and (presumably) the corpse] can somehow calm her down, while it's pretty clear (to the viewers, though) that all she wants is, well, Akashi. If anything, it only serves as an excuse to create the final boss of the show: spoiler[human-machine-corpse hybrid.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:40 am Reply with quote
Episode 21

spoiler[Becoming one]. I am guessing he either plans on spoiler[boning her, or turning himself into necrometal which increases the bond somehow fusing g with her]. Probably the second one. While he seems pretty reasonable his major downside has been playing up, he thinks of his opinion better than anyone else and comes off as a bit controlling.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Obviously Minashi's goal is to turn everyone into spoiler[tang.]

So they finally remembered spoiler[Heito] exists. spoiler[Considering how much him and Akashi were at each others throats, I don't see how they could work too well as a pilot/LIM combo.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Episode 22

Thank heavens, spoiler[I was afraid that Mahmu would die right there]. Also yes, someone finally spoiler[called Minashi out on being an obnoxious know it all that acts like he knows better than everyone else]. I really like Tsugumi's part in the series.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it was cool that spoiler[Minashi] got called out and spoiler[Mahmu] really stepped up.

Damn, you sure can spoiler[convert some one into a LIM and install them in a MA-Vess] pretty damn quickly.
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:54 am Reply with quote
I, 2 weeks ago wrote:
If anything, it only serves as an excuse to create the final boss of the show: spoiler[human-machine-corpse hybrid.]

Ahaha, my guess is correct... to some extent.

It turns out that Akashi's, ahem, (over)sensitivity literally enables himself to spoiler[act as his own mech's LIM, a feat none could emulate without first being infected by necrometal. I like this way of "powering-up" in the sense that it doesn't suddenly come out of nowhere (e.g., FRIENDSHIIIIPS!!! or "I must protect those I love!!!!" stuffs). It is inside him all along (the very gift he despises, no less!) and gradually develops, first with his brother, then with Heito, and finally unlocks its full potential right before the climactic battle.]

The last episode is pretty much your typical JRPG final boss duel. Bring it on! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6