• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Nekomonogatari White Sub.Blu-Ray

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:36 am Reply with quote
I absolutely loved this arc. I think it is the best stuff in the Monogatari franchise since Bakemonogatari. I am pleased to hear that Carl liked the packaging; I thought I was the only one who did not hate this packaging and release strategy.

I do not see what is the big deal in sectioning the releases in individual arcs and the lack of chipboard boxes.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually warming up to the volume format. And since it seems to go hand in hand with Aniplex releasing their titles so early (we got the 4th JP volume just one month after the last volume, v10, was released in Japan, AKA faaast) i'm all for it. It's also kind of neat that each volume is specifically made for one girl and that you can pick which arcs you want to buy. Yep, it's growing on me...

spoiler[Guess i'll pick up the vols that's been released so far come September Smile.]
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:48 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

I do not see what is the big deal in sectioning the releases in individual arcs and the lack of chipboard boxes.

When you are paying $60 for 5 episodes, and for something that calls itself 'Limited Edition', you want to feel that you are getting something worth that amount of money. No matter how good the actual disks are, it is all about the total package.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:01 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

When you are paying $60 for 5 episodes, and for something that calls itself 'Limited Edition', you want to feel that you are getting something worth that amount of money. No matter how good the actual disks are, it is all about the total package.

I am focusing on the release format and packaging. I agree that the sets are pricey. But I have noticed that people who were paying AoA prices are making a big fuzz about sectioning the releases and the absence of chip board boxes.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:11 pm Reply with quote
To each their own, but if it calls itself a Limited Edition, people expect a premium box.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:13 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

I think you should factor these things into the price:

- The speed at which we get these releases
- Illustrations/cover artwork
- Packaging quality (flimsy/not flimsy?)
- Video quality
- Audio quality
- Physical extras
- Digital extras

In this release we get speed, we get artwork straight from the Japanese releases (this is amazing, most other companies usually deliver overused promo artwork everyone's seen a 100 times...), we do at least get a slip case, some companies do not even provide this, but yeah I would've much preferred it to be chipboard. Video quality is on par with the Japanese, so is audio quality. We get an awesome slew of extras with art cards from various artists and a neat little booklet with a bunch of stuff. Digital extras is the standard clean op/ed.

I say this release proves worthy of the price tag, following the criteria above. If you're not a collector it may not appeal as much, but then again, this release is not aimed at people who are just looking for a disc in a cheap case Wink.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:58 pm Reply with quote
^I feel NIS sets are miles above in quality compared to the sets AoA puts out.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:16 pm Reply with quote
@SouthPacific

Everyone is different, when it comes about separating them from their money.

Question was asked, why are people complaining about the box. The answer is you are paying a premium price and you are paying for a "Limited Edition". So, for some people, they feel cheated if the box is cheap.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:33 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
@SouthPacific

Everyone is different, when it comes about separating them from their money.

Question was asked, why are people complaining about the box. The answer is you are paying a premium price and you are paying for a "Limited Edition". So, for some people, they feel cheated if the box is cheap.

You said this
Quote:

I responded to that. Nothing less, nothing more. Using the points that I presented the end product is a very good one, even if it doesn't come with a chipboard box.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:55 pm Reply with quote
I buy disc releases of anime because I want to have physical copies. If the packaging is luxurious, I am glad to have it. But if the packaging is bare bones, I will also gladly take it. In either case pricing is not an issue because I am paying for the disc content I want to own.

That is my view on the price of deluxe editions. But I can understand other people being hesitant about paying big bucks for something that is not considered a premium item. Aniplex USA is playing a potentially dangerous game because some of its customers have accepted paying high prices for deluxe releases.

If AoA wants to keep charging high prices, they should keep offering deluxe items if they do not want its established costumers to get pissed and go away. Or AoA could stop doing deluxe items and adjust their prices to the typical standards of other R1 companies.
Via_01

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:43 pm Reply with quote
I really liked this arc, and I loved how the finally gave some well-deserved development to Hanekawa.

...however, nothing, absolutely nothing, will beat Koimonogatari in my list.

spoiler[Kaiki best girl]
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:46 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I buy disc releases of anime because I want to have physical copies. If the packaging is luxurious, I am glad to have it. But if the packaging is bare bones, I will also gladly take it. In either case pricing is not an issue because I am paying for the disc content I want to own.

That is my view on the price of deluxe editions. But I can understand other people being hesitant about paying big bucks for something that is not considered a premium item. Aniplex USA is playing a potentially dangerous game because some of its customers have accepted paying high prices for deluxe releases.

If AoA wants to keep charging high prices, they should keep offering deluxe items if they do not want its established costumers to get pissed and go away. Or AoA could stop doing deluxe items and adjust their prices to the typical standards of other R1 companies.

I don't think they're playing a dangerous game at all. They're trying out new ways (new ways in the current market that is) to release anime in the R1 market, and that's a good thing. Other companies seem very relucatant to change, and if you've got some knowledge in business it's good to do it the way Aniplex goes about distributing anime. It's a niche market and they offer niche products. Sentai/Funimation also sell their products to a niche market, but they sell them in a way that one would think is meant to appeal to a mainstream market. But that market does not exist for anime.

So I think Aniplex is doing more than just fine. The increase of titles in their catalog points towards that, and the fact that they're willing to try different methods to distribute means they're in a position where they can take potential losses, which means they're not worrying about having to close up shop.

Quote:
Or AoA could stop doing deluxe items and adjust their prices to the typical standards of other R1 companies.

spoiler[I gave you a funny picture response to that quote because Goto-san himself have said that they're in the R1 market to create memorable releases, AKA deluxe editions, and that it has so far been proven very successful for them. He has also pointed out that some releases will have to be treated differently, which is probably why we see barebones DVD releases for titles that simply won't sell, even if they were to create deluxe editions of those titles in order to appeal to hardcore collectors which is their main intent.]
Shaterri

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad to see Aniplex releasing this content at all, and I'm more than happy to buy it, but I also don't think it's unreasonable to expect at least some semblance of 'parity' with the Japanese releases in what's supposed to be a premium box. I can understand not wanting to translate the character-commentary (which I'm sure was a substantial chunk of the effort in the Bakemonogatari box set), but not getting the music in these boxes is a damn shame. I can imagine there are some licensing issues involved, but it would be nice to at least get the impression they'd made an effort.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
That is, its one unique stumble; all of Monogatari's ongoing stumbles—the hyperverbality, the fondness for anime archetypes, the persistent emotional distance—are still out in force.

Well, that's pretty much the best thing I've read today. Thanks, Carl.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:06 pm Reply with quote
NIS releases are pretty cool. Aniplex's aren't as "high quality" and "deluxe" as they're made out to be. Or maybe that's just up to personal opinion. I bought the Kill la Kill volume 1 limited edition just because of how fancy people say they are in defense of the pricing, but it wasn't that good. I've seen much better limited edition releases in the past that are also more affordable to. It's not like I'm ever going to do anything with those "beautiful" postcards anyway. The bonus soundtrack CD however was a really cool addition, those are the kind of things I want to see more of in limited editions and such. But now I gotta buy the rest of the volumes anyway. Well technically I don't, but it'd be weird to just have the first one.

SouthPacific wrote:
I don't think they're playing a dangerous game at all. They're trying out new ways (new ways in the current market that is) to release anime in the R1 market, and that's a good thing. Other companies seem very relucatant to change, and if you've got some knowledge in business it's good to do it the way Aniplex goes about distributing anime. It's a niche market and they offer niche products. Sentai/Funimation also sell their products to a niche market, but they sell them in a way that one would think is meant to appeal to a mainstream market. But that market does not exist for anime.

I don't think anime is a "niche" market like you're saying like it's a fact. Funimation has a bunch of pretty mainstream titles like Dragon Ball Z, Fullmetal Alchemist and the recent breakout one Attack on Titan. Plus they have great and accessible movies like Wolf Children too. Sure, there's a lot of obscure and weird sh*t out there that not nearly as many people are into, but that's not the entire medium. It's just a lot of it. But 90% percent of everything is shit, right? So most of the stuff that's well known is probably the other 10 percent.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3