• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
A Mystery

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:58 am Reply with quote
@Unicorn Blade: I felt the same way about Dusk Maiden of Amnesia - or at least up until episode 6, since your opinion may vary based on the end result. The comedy wasn't my cup of tea either.

My opinion is that the next set of episodes is definitely better in many aspects and answers most questions. Do not expect real, hardcore horror though. It will not happen. There are also some other, some new, negative aspects, but I will not dwell on them now since you haven't seen everything yet.
You will probably not think it was a waste of your time though.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:31 am Reply with quote
Ok, so finished Dusk Maiden of Amnesia... It was all in all not very bad, but it was not all that good either. I did not really expect a gory horror, but something along the lines of Ghost Hunt, with a lot of mystery, some horror, and some fun. Ghost Hunt was entertaining, the Maiden dragged a bit, a sort of art knowing it had only 12 episodes.
The only really good episode was episode 6 where they had to deal with all that paranoia concerning human sacrifice and bullying, it was intense and surprisingly scarier than the discovery of Yuko's past. I hoped the rest of the show would follow down that path, but no... I felt a bit underwhelmed by the second part as well, despite them discovering what happened to Yuko. I don't know what it was, maybe the way they told the story, it did not have as much impact. The ending was good up until spoiler[Yuko's reappearance] - I was not impressed. The last minute eradicated a lot of positive emotions I started having for this episode.
I do not mind spoiler[happy endings], but it would be nice to end it in a bitter-sweet way, rather that finding out spoiler[the whole beautiful goodbye scene was just a massive tease ]. But maybe this ending fits in more with all the boob grabbing and rubbing from before.

So as before, not a bad series, with a lot of enjoyable moments, but this is perhaps an example where with less (fanservice and fewer genres) it could be so much more (in terms of quality).
thebeats42

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:14 am Reply with quote
I'm currently watching Bakemonogatari Season 2: Nisemonogatari.
Gahara-san is just sooooo lovable <3
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:31 pm Reply with quote
I was in Japan for six months so I took a break from my ever increasing "to-watch" anime DVD pile, but now I'm back and randomly took whatever was on top of the very literal pile. I ended up marathoning Bokurano.

It's difficult to say if I liked the show or not. I suppose you could say I liked it in the sense that it delivered an interesting and gripping story that kept me on the edge of my seat for most of the time. It reminded me a lot of Madoka, with the children gradually learning how terrifying their battles are, and how powerless they were against that giant and inescapable system.

I also think they managed to give every kid its individuality and make the audience sympathize with them and the horrors they were facing. They also explored some really interesting ideas and concepts, such as the will to live and how far people could go for it, and the things that are worth fighting and dying for. The final battle was especially well executed, I was holding my breath the whole time and even spilled a tear or two as the whole Earth seemed to stand still, waiting for the results of the battle.

That said, I was bothered by how it sometimes took the drama to extremely contrived levels. There were two particular episodes where this happened: Daiichi's episode and Maki's episode. It felt unnecessarily cruel to have two episodes in succession in which the featured pilot was about to achieve something spoiler[-Daiichi getting a precious day with his siblings and Maki meeting her new little brother-] just to be thrown into battle right before they could do it. It felt like they were just forcefully trying to make you pity those poor kids, as if everything they were going through wasn't enough.

Something else that bothered me was that, even after the horrifying truth is revealed, there is no attempt made by any of the characters to fight back against the terrible system. To keep up the comparison with Madoka, the magical girls rebel against the system after they discover all the truth about it, but the children in Bokurano just sort of accept that they have to keep spoiler[destroying other universes] because someone just decided so.

Regardless, it was a very well executed show. I won't say it was "entertaining" or "fun", because as I watched I just kept growing more and more horrified at what those kids had had to face, but they managed to pull at my heartstrings and make me invested in those children's story, which I think is a great feat in itself. Rated Very Good
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Just started up on Touch yesterday. Heard quite a bit about this series being very popular back in its day and being another of Adachi's popular sports/ romance titles. Presently six episodes into the series and it looks like this one is somewhat more comedy-driven thanks to the antics of Tatsuya. Not sure what to think of it thus far, but will press on to see what more has to offer for now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:55 am Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
Just started up on Touch yesterday. Heard quite a bit about this series being very popular back in its day and being another of Adachi's popular sports/ romance titles. Presently six episodes into the series and it looks like this one is somewhat more comedy-driven thanks to the antics of Tatsuya. Not sure what to think of it thus far, but will press on to see what more has to offer for now.

Have you read/watched Cross Game at all? I'd be interested to see how they compare if you have. I really enjoyed that show and plan on buying the manga. I've been meaning to check out Touch, but haven't got around to it yet.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:48 am Reply with quote
For absolutely no reason at all, I decied to check out some of Fate/Zero. I'm proud to say I made it through four episodes before realizing I don't give a damn about this franchise. I must have known known that for awhile as my dislike for it is usually focused on one character.

The cons:
Saber. Nothing like taking the absurd reveal of Fate/Stay Night and getting that out of the way early. Any one of the supposedly "chaste" knights {Hint: starts with an "L". Heh, an elle... because he's French...} I would have accepted, especially the ones noted for sword fighting {back to elle...} but what they do, continuously, is just dumb. There's fan fiction and fan slash fiction and then there's "don't think too hard on it" fan fiction. They're the real legendary figures but they also get the mythologies tied to them from what people believe? But then, logically, wouldn't that make Saber...

Ah, thinking hurts! She doesn't have the build for mastering a two hand sword...

Again the pain! And in her 25 years...

Again, dammit! And she always look so moe at age 15 because...

Ow! Screw it, moving on.

Why Fujiki, Japan? Why always Fujiki, Japan? They move everything there in episode one and it's done completely without irony? No questions, no doubts?

No heroes. Hell, who am I supposed to follow in this thing? Six are right out and the seventh doesn't win {Oh prequels, wasting my time from series to series}. Yes, Iskander was interesting. Of course, I never knew Macedonians were six foot tall red heads...

And then there's the idea that four of the Servants were summoned at the same time. "Oh, who got who?" Why, should I care? Or do I mean why should I care? It's all selfish entangling between seven people/teams for one wish anyway. If I could have one wish, I'd wish I wouldn't have to put my life, morals or immortal soul on the line for it? This reminds me of something but I can't quite figure out...

Not Mortal Kombat, not Highlander... Dragon Ball? Damn, really?

It looks nice and it has a great soundtrack and is well cast in both languages; All that just means there's people willing to pool up money for this fan fiction trash.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:40 am Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
Have you read/watched Cross Game at all? I'd be interested to see how they compare if you have. I really enjoyed that show and plan on buying the manga. I've been meaning to check out Touch, but haven't got around to it yet.

I seen Cross Game years ago when Japan aired it. Compared to that title, Touch starts off on a more lighter tone as we don't get the nice tinge of tragedy from the start of the series that happened in Cross Game spoiler[with Wakaba's death] and the comedy is more apparent with Tatsuya's antics whereas any comical moments in Cross Game were more subtle and subdued.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:05 am Reply with quote
Dropped Saikano after two painful episodes. This has such a stupid stupid stupid premise, and the execution - instead of saving the show - just makes it even worse. I can't believe this has been hyped as much as it has.
thebeats42

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:26 am Reply with quote
watching Monogatari series:Second Season
I'm only 2 episodes in and its already interesting. I was expecting more of Senjougahara's family situation but this will do.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Catching up on Glasslip.

I STILL DON'T KNOW WHO TO SHIP. OMG.

Leaning towards Team Kakeru though. Skipping the ED every time. NanoRipe is NOT one of my favorite singers. Waaay too nasal. Anime dazed
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:03 pm Reply with quote
After putting it off for ages, I finally marathoned the last installments of the original Saint Seiya franchise: The Hades Inferno and the Elysion OVAs.

When I first got into Saint Seiya I was like 13 and impressionable and the show is full of muscled, long-haired handsome teenagers, and thus these characters hold a huge nostalgia value for me. I remember crying my eyes out when spoiler[Shaka received Saga and co's Athena Exclamation and the three of them cry upon realizing he understood their mission]. Then some of the spoilers for the Inferno arc came out and I was positively devastated byspoiler[ the scene of the 12 Gold Saints burning out their souls to destroy the Wall of Lament and open the gate to Elysion.] So I had purposefully avoided finishing the whole thing up, but they just put it up on Netflix and I had this intense need to get back in touch with my teen self.

When I first watched them, I didn't pay much attention to such things as animation quality and boy, these OVA are so cheaply produced it hurts (talking heads, recycled scenes, ages of recap, still pans, clunky movements...). I'm not going to go into detail into everything that should be considered wrong about the series and the franchise in general (Saint Seiya is, after all, an epitome of cheesy shonen fantasy battle action nakama power screaming testosterone I-don't-know-what-I'm-typing-anymore). Of course if you're looking for rich storytelling you're not gonna find it here, and the characters have little to no development at all. But tbh, I couldn't care less.

I was happy to still be able to connect with these characters and their battles. There was a surprisingly beautiful and touching scene of spoiler[Aioria reuniting with the spirit of his brother Aioros, and it made me tear up in spite of how short and simple it was]. I'm, as always, impressed by Kurumada's genius and detailed design of the Saints' and Spectres' clothes. The spoiler[God clothes] that take the stage in the Elysion OVA are so breath-takingly beautiful I couldn't stop gawking.

These OVA are obviously made for people like me who just can't get enough of this franchise. From any other perspective, they're incredibly bad (except they're not because DEM FEELS). My only qualm with them is the bafflingly inconclusive ending. Although spoiler[the war against Hades is won, there is no such thing as an epilogue to tell what happened with the world once the Inferno was destroyed, and we don't even know for sure if Seiya is alive (I mean, we know he is because he shows up in Omega, but Elysion ends with him being as good as dead).] It was also kind of frustrating that one of the main plot points of the entire series spoiler[-Seiya's search for his sister- wasn't resolved in spite of an extremely late and pointless introduction of said missing sister in the last four episodes
]

I'm also through the first four episodes of Kamisama Dolls, and not really into it. The main characters are so flat and unengaging I couldn't care less about what happens to any of them. In fact, the only character I find myself rooting for is the villain. The Kakashi have original designs, but that doesn't mean they're good, au contraire, they're extremely uncreative and boring. So far the show isn't even bad, it's just so blatantly mediocre it feels like a waste of time. I may drop it depending on how the next two episodes go.[/spoiler]
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm watching Buso Renkin. It's a trifle, but it's fun. The anime doesn't quite capture the art of the manga though, so that's a shame. It also seems to me that the packaging and extras on the DVD seem better than Viz's usual releases of the time. I wonder if they thought it was going to be more popular than it was.
Onora77

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:50 am Reply with quote
I'm supposed to start on Toradora but I can't get past the first 20 minutes... =/ It doesn't grab me right away like the other animes I loved. My friend recommended it though, so I might give it yet another shot next time.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:06 am Reply with quote
^
I don't blame you. Toradora! is often cited as this amazing show and yet it starts off so terribly.

Oh wow, another psychotic tsundere faux-loli voiced by Rie Kugimiya. Oh wow, another spineless wimpy beta-male voiced by Junji Majima. Add in the source material being a light novel and Mari Okada handling the adaptation (and not the good Okada either), and you've got a perfect storm of facepalms.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 823 of 1061