• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Announcement: Welcome to Daily Streaming Reviews!

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:40 am Reply with quote
Oooh, this sounds pretty interesting! I'm one of those people who missed (and relied on) The Stream a lot, so i'm looking forward to this new format. Smile
Via_01

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:58 am Reply with quote
This sounds really interesting and promising, and as long as the comments section isn't as chaotic as the Preview Guide's, I'm willing to discuss these reviews with everyone else.
AnimeFan617
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Cool! I've been wondering what has become of "The Stream," and now I know, and this is just fantastic!
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:02 pm Reply with quote
This sounds perfect! Ever since the stream disappeared, reviews of streaming shows were always what the site was lacking. Great thinking!

I tend to watch 11-13 shows a season, and I never drop anime, but I almost alwats enjoy them. So I probably wouldn't be a good enough reviewer otherwise I would have loved to help out!

I look forward to seeing how this all works out!
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Really glad to see ANN going out on a limb with this new format and hiring some great writers. I think it will really pay off for the site.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:10 pm Reply with quote
This is a fantabulous idea, and I am sure it will generate a lot more interesting discussions and drive more traffic to the site. Everybody wins! Smile
Redcrimson

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Welp, ANN staffers officially make up the majority of my follows on twitter now. I'm excited to see how this whole thing turns out. Definitely a bunch of talented critics and writers in that lot!
Barbobot

Have been really looking forward to this since Zac announced his plans on twitter. Hopefully you can come up with a streamlined way to allow us to browse through all the episode reviews as more build up over time.
Marzan

Great idea. Look forward to it. It'll be very useful to get impressions from relatively 'objective' writers.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Very interesting idea, although I definitely miss The Stream because it provided a great space to discuss all the streaming series at the same time, but yeah, it was just too much work, especially now that almost everything is being streamed. Still like this idea, it will be very helpful to get an idea of which shows that I'm not watching would be worth marathoning later on, which was one of the things I found most helpful about The Stream
Spleen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:27 pm Reply with quote
It would be good if each day's reviews could be all posted on one page. That was what I liked about the Stream - reading it once a month was a good way to pick up on shows that I'd dropped after the first episode or hadn't bothered to watch but turned out to be actually worth watching. Plus it's often funny to read the reviews of stuff that's crap.

If every review has its own page then it won't be nearly as easy to follow as the Stream was.

To be honest I'm not sure why you couldn't just resurrect the Stream with different writers responsible for writing each review. (Ok, it would be difficult to do the ranking, but that hardly matters as it didn't really mean anything anyway.)
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:37 pm Reply with quote
WhatTheFlick and the AV Club may do reviews for weekly airing shows, but aren't those mostly 40-60 minute shows heavy with much to discuss? I can't exactly see the purposefulness in someone trash-talking a harem comedy every single week for 12 weeks. Maybe it'll mirror Bamboo's old column and only be about a paragraph or two long? Some episodes don't really have much to intelligently discuss beyond that.

I'm also not looking forward to some reviewers giving straight F-s for some shows.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:42 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
WhatTheFlick and the AV Club may do reviews for weekly airing shows, but aren't those mostly 40-60 minute shows heavy with much to discuss?

Never visited the former but AV Club covers a small mountain of sitcoms and other comedies that are 22 minute episodes. Doesn't seem to deter them.

Quote:
I can't exactly see the purposefulness in someone trash-talking a harem comedy every single week for 12 weeks. Maybe it'll mirror Bamboo's old column and only be about a paragraph or two long? Some episodes don't really have much to intelligently discuss beyond that.

As an aside, there are elements in place that should prevent something from turning into "trash-talking a harem comedy every week", as is explained in the article.

The writers do not have a minimum or maximum word count. They are instructed to "write until they don't have anything left to say about the episode" or are comfortable that they've put it all out there. For some this could mean a few paragraphs, for others it could mean 1200 words. It'll vary dramatically depending on the show and the writer.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:

I'm also not looking forward to some reviewers giving straight F-s for some shows.

As mentioned in the piece, if a writer hates a show enough to just keep giving it Fs then we'll work on having them swap shows with someone else or potentially just drop it if they can't handle it anymore. We're not looking for "hatewatch" reviews at all and the writers understand that. We will work around it if it ever comes to that.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Yay, now I can stop bugging AV Club to start covering Toonami's run of Attack on Titan.

BTW, Lauren Orsini is quite a get as a reviewer. I just caught up on her otakujournalist.com site over the past few weeks.
varmintx

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:20 pm Reply with quote
I like that you had to assemble a small army of reviewers to take over Bamboo's column. Kind of amazing she was able to do it for as long as she did.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7