• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ARGEVOLLEN (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:17 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

Maybe I did not understand it properly but, that island spoiler[is supposedly neutral although the good guys were using parts of it as a testing ground.] Is that something bad?

I did not want it at the time of watching, but spoiler[did how the fighting start in this episode in neutral ground be blamed on the good guys, even if it was stopping an attack planned on them.]
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:22 am Reply with quote
DP,

It sounded, during the news broadcast, that no blame had been assigned. They only noted that both side were there fighting and were wondering if it would spill over onto the island.

I should note that it is the *island* that was considered "neutral territory", and the fight actually took place on the mainland near the island (that bridge was what connected the two). The Captain mentioned destroying the bridge if it looked like the fight might spill over in that direction.

What happened was spoiler[the Bad Guys shipped their mechas to the island (which was a violation of the island's neutrality, but they bribed people to make it happen) and then took the mechas off the island by truck. They intended to take the mechas to the rear of the Good Guys' forces and wreck some havoc while at the same time attacking from the front, hoping that would break the stalemate currently in effect.] The enemy mecha unit looked pretty competent even outside of the Elite Dude, so I imagine they would've done some serious damage in the process, but would all have probably ended up dead/captured, which is why the Bad Guy military commander was so pissed off about the entire mission.

Anyway, it wasn't a horrible plan for Anime Army Tactics, but unfortunately for the Bad Guys, spoiler[they un-serendipitously (for them) ran into the Good Guys, who were able to break up the plan.] Even better, Main Character Dude looks like he's starting to man up. He actually said something smart this episode. Character development! Hurray!
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:20 am Reply with quote
Do the air force and radar exist in their world? Just wondering. Confused

I must say that my biggest issue with this show is that it is lacking the intensity you'd expect from frontline battle. It's kinda hard to take a war show seriously when the show itself barely does. In one episode, this unit of the supposedly invaded nation gets sacrificed and almost wiped out by artillery fire... only to enjoy massage later on! Goodness, DAT moaning! Shocked

Other than that, it's doing fine (it also helps that I've set my bar low). The main protagonist has serious disciplinary issue, yes, but at least he gets slightly better in later episodes. Also, he doesn't master the control of his new mech in one night. That's a plus.

DuskyPredator wrote:

Maybe I did not understand it properly but, that island spoiler[is supposedly neutral although the good guys were using parts of it as a testing ground.] Is that something bad?

It is implied that the island has strong economic (and due to its history, perhaps also political) ties with the good guys' nation. Sooo...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:49 am Reply with quote
Episode 9

Lets be honest, at this point the "bad guys" are more likable than the "good guys". And it does not quite have to do with what this episode was doing in terms of showing that they are people too, although showing the "spoiler[good guys" ruthlessly attack that base] did help. Through all the talk of war bonds and clueless high ranking officers, they just seem a hell lot more organised, professional, and maybe even more honour. "Good guys" have had ranked officers stab each other in the back, this episode showed spoiler[one who refuses promotions, one who tried to still command his troops before dying when things got real, and one who sacrificed himself for his own men to retreat]. The show could be doing a great job at making me root for the unexpected side, but I think that it is just doing a really bad job at doing the one it wants.

Actually the episode may have hinted at the spoiler[real bad guys, it is not the nations, the corporation that made the Argevollen seems to really like the feud so they can sell weapons]. Actually seems the entire point of spoiler[giving it to the home team was to show off its capabilities so they can likely sell them to any side].
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:26 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed watching spoiler[Argevollen kick ass (although it didn't have a totally easy time, either).] That is all.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:52 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I really enjoyed watching spoiler[Argevollen kick ass (although it didn't have a totally easy time, either).] That is all.

I have to say that I was a bit shocked by this episode. The military stuff actually seemed like military stuff. And the (relatively) good guys actually showed a level of competence in their actions -- a first, from my point of view. I actually didn't have a problem with any part of this episode -- if the show had been like this from the beginning, I would have a much higher opinion of it rather than it being habitually on-the-bubble.

I also like how it seems like the MC is slowly getting better -- slowly, but surely. Much better than being an insta-expert pilot.

All of you guys that dumped this series, if you're reading this, should at least check this one out. I don't know if it'll stay this good, but this one episode is worth spending the time to watch, IMO.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
if the show had been like this from the beginning, I would have a much higher opinion of it rather than it being habitually on-the-bubble.

In regards to developing a "sympathetic rival force" I don't think it could be done (as effectively) without the slog of establishing our protagonist unit, that said the episodes building up our protagonist group should have been handled better.

I doubt the series will have a "great" finish but it will have an end worthy of what has been established so far.

Wild Eyed prediction:spoiler[ our protagonists will have to square off against 3 next gen Argevollen units and somehow manage to pull off a win to tie up the finale]
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:22 pm Reply with quote
And yet another mech anime that flees from the idea that war occurs because conflicts exist and are real, and instead hides behind the comfort of Evil People.

It wasn't all that clear to me why Argy had such a hard time with one-armed knifeymech, though.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:56 pm Reply with quote
'Coz the pilot of the other mech was a hard-drinkin' stud, yo.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It wasn't all that clear to me why Argy had such a hard time with one-armed knifeymech, though.
Because the series has hammered it in several times that Tokimune is a comparative scrub when it comes to piloting a mech, the only reason why is he is alive is due to luck and the fact that Argevollen is an advanced programmed mech.

His squad mates have called Tokimune out on this and enemy pilots have called him out on this, that said I think Tokimune has a better potential character development arc than a certain "invincible" pilot in the other ongoing mech series.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I realize that's the goal, but he had no trouble with all the other otherwise indistinguishable mechs, and I don't know how "skill" is going to improve the results of spoiler[rushing blindly at an enemy for a headbutt.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:33 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

We had a lot of good submissions this week, but lets see who won this week's award for military stupidity. And the award goes to *opens envelope* the spoiler[main character for staying a bridge that is about to blow up]. It is good to know that this series is not going to lose what makes it special.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:08 am Reply with quote
Laughing

But let's not forget to give some credit to the Ingelmia forces who, after seeing their invasion stall, have now taken to making small, pointless breakthoughs along the front line that inevitably get moped up by Special Unit 8.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:50 am Reply with quote
Yes, Blood-, but as this episode showed, they're gradually pushing the Arandas forces back. Eventually this will force the main line forces out of their positions. Arandas is fighting a losing battle from a positional viewpoint.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:53 am Reply with quote
Ah, but Tour... your reckoning doesn't take into consideration the awesomeness of--

--ARGEVOLLEN!!!

Which will single-handled win da war, dontcha know (even with the wrong-sized flanges).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 12