• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 6 Series Starring Aspiring Mangaka

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimeFan617
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:32 am Reply with quote
K-ON beats Beck?! How does that happen?!
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:39 am Reply with quote
No Genshiken?
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Ugh... and the depression of not being able to have Bakuman in my collection begins again Crying or Very sad ... please someone, anyone, put out that damn Blu-ray!!!
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:00 pm Reply with quote
AnimeFan617 wrote:

Good question.
I voted for K-On! so I am glad that it did so well, but I am also a bit surprised.
According to the encyclopedia twice as many people have read the Beck manga, and rated it much higher than the K-On! manga.
So I do have to wonder why there is so much difference between the poll and the encyclopedia

I suspect that people in the poll were voting for the whole franchise that is K-On!, and not just the manga.
As a big fan of K-On! I must admit that it is difficult to separate my appreciation of the manga from the anime and music.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Takamachi Ryoko

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Oh ho so the popularity of K-ON! still lives.

As soon as I saw mangaka, I expect Bakuman. and Nozaki-kun, weren't disappointed. I don't know much about Comic Party, but I've watched a few episode of Mangirl and still remember when I watched Dojin Work, pretty funny. WTH is Tatsumi? If it wasn't for the list then nobody would know it. And is it counted anyway? It's a movie and the list is "series".
CatSword

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:13 pm Reply with quote
I absolutely love Comic Party. It's one of my favorite anime - it's an absolute thrill to watch from beginning to end. I wish someone would translate the VN, though that's unlike as it's more then a decade old. Glad to see it made it on the list.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blue21

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:58 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
No Genshiken?

In that series, working in the industry is kind of a side plot, so I wasn't surprised it wasn't included.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:29 pm Reply with quote
I have to say that Bakuman and Nozaki-kun have been giving out diametrically opposed views of the lives of high-school manga-ka. The former makes it sound like a miracle, and even then only attained through super talent, insane work ethic and the support of experienced professionals, while the latter suggests it's a nearly stress-free, after-school gig, with little to no talent required - just a bit of (unpaid?) help from your artistically inclined friends. Smile
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:23 pm Reply with quote
AnimeFan617 wrote:

I was actually really happy to see that Beck still has enough fans to place #2. I would love for someone to do a license rescue on the manga.

Since the list usually has 7 spots and only 6 were used, it was a shame to not see Jiro Tanaguchi's A Zoo in Winter or Shunju Aono's I'll Give It My All Tomorrow.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Years ago Comic Party, along with being the first non-mainstream anime I’ve own, re-inspire me to create stories except this time through comic format (before then it was through story books). Seeing Kazuki make people happy with his doujinshi made me want to spread happiness through my stories. Concerning the story at the time it was different from what I’ve use to have seen before when it came to animated shows (Before than it was just either comedic skits or action). It was my first time watching a slice of life cartoon and I enjoyed it.

Even to this day I still like Comic Party, but I’ve notice it’s not as good as I once thought it was. Kazuki, for a central character, is dull. He’s also slow to pick up on certain things that should be obvious (like deciding on a price for your books before selling). Granted even during those days I knew he was slow to pick up on things that should have been obvious, but watching it more recently I realize he’s even more slow then I thought he was. Perhaps it’s because Kazuki was use as a means to share about what goes on in things relating to doujinshi and anime/manga pop culture in general. Which leads to another thing I’ve realize when I’ve last watch this. This anime is one big PSA or infomercial (I don’t know what you’ll call it really) on doujinshi and anime/manga pop culture, which in my case was fitting because this was during my early years of being a part of this pop culture. Another thing I’ve notice was just

I think in the manga adaptation by Sekihiko Inui Kazuki has more character and is less slow, but I haven’t read the manga in a long time. I think if I read it now I might like the manga more than the show (and it use to be the other way around though I still enjoy the manga).

Also I am interested in giving this Tatsumi by Yoshihiro Tatsumi a try. The plot and its subject matter seems good.

AnimeFan617 wrote:

Perhaps the majority of people who voted are not as familiar with Beck as they are with K-On.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:16 pm Reply with quote
That was some really interesting stuff about Mangirl!. Thank you Lynzee.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Nozaki-kun!

This list also reminds me that I should check out Bakuman. Since the anime's license seems a little bit up in the air, I noticed Madman has released the entire manga. They even have a box set of it...now to wait until Madman's next sale...
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
Nozaki-kun!

This list also reminds me that I should check out Bakuman. Since the anime's license seems a little bit up in the air, I noticed Madman has released the entire manga. They even have a box set of it...now to wait until Madman's next sale...

It's on sale for $100 on amazon right now, but it appears as if volume 10 in the box set is really volume 8 with a volume 10 cover. Does anyone know if this was fixed or if Viz offered an exchange?
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:13 pm Reply with quote
It's really interesting to read Death Note after reading Bakuman. Bakuman is not so much a 180 as an thinly-veiled story about a pair of manga-creators creating, developing, and elaborating a manga series like Death Note. "You know, what this series really needs is a contest, but not like a standard shounen tournament, but with a twist..." "I know, we'll have the hero and the villain collaborate on a problem, neither of them knowing who the other really is!", and on and on. Reading the two together is tremendous fun.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:09 pm Reply with quote
I guess I can be happy Violinist of Hameln managed to secure the #10 spot at least. :)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2