• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
"New Nintendo 3DS" and System-Locked Games

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Video Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:07 am Reply with quote
So, with the announcement of the "New Nintendo 3DS" (they really need a better name for it), they also announced that Xenoblade 3DS will be unplayable on older 3DS systems, and that there is "no guarantee" that other new games will work on them, either (as far as I've seen, the only unreleased games that will definitely work are the new Pokemon games, probably because they'd have rioting if they wouldn't work on a system that won't even be released in the West before the games).

I get that it's supposed to be more powerful than the original, and they want to do things with the more powerful processor. But this is being compared to the GB>GBC transition, and, from what I'm seeing from Nintendo, this isn't the case.

With the GB>GBC transition, there was a significant, visible change to the system. The GBC could display colors. Additionally, there was an extended transition period, where games were released for the GB, but were "enhanced" on the GBC. Even looking just at Pokemon games; Pokemon Yellow was the first Pokemon game to be enhanced for the GBC. It came out in 1998 (1999 in the US). Pokemon Puzzle Challenge was the first GBC-only Pokemon game. It came out in 2000 (same for US). That was 2 years (1 in the US) where most (if not all) games were compatible for both systems (the first main Pokemon game that was GBC-only was Crystal, which came out 3 months later in Japan, and 6 months later in the US).

With the 3DS>New 3DS transition, they've already announced a game that's not compatible, and the way the "no guarantees" is sounding, is that they're leaving it up to developers/publishers to decide if they even want to make it 3DS compatible. This means that, suddenly, the original 3DS could be an outdated system, with no new games on it. There's never been, to my knowledge, and at least in recent generations, a period where new hardware completely replaces the older system, with no new games coming out for it.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm pretty pissed at this.
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Well now that you've said that most older games (except for ungodly popular things like Pokemon AS/OR) are suddenly going to become obsolete, I too am quite pissed. Sure, the DSi had camera only games, but they were few and far between and they sucked and the DSi could still play old DS games. Xenoblade is not that, that's a real game that I won't be able to play, dammit! I wish they had waited way longer on this release, in about 3 more years, I would've been fine with this news, but a lot of us (me included) just got a 3DS last year for Pokemon, we've barely had our 3DSs for a year and it's about to become out of date just like that! I'm not sure what I'm going to do except eventually give in, but I hope developers will stick with the 3DS for a while yet.
DKL

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:05 pm Reply with quote
I think if the thing doesn't fly with consumers, a lot of developers/publishers/whatever will end up just not using the extra power and will maintain compatability with the old 3DS.
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:02 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Well now that you've said that most older games (except for ungodly popular things like Pokemon AS/OR) are suddenly going to become obsolete, I too am quite pissed. Sure, the DSi had camera only games, but they were few and far between and they sucked and the DSi could still play old DS games. Xenoblade is not that, that's a real game that I won't be able to play, dammit! I wish they had waited way longer on this release, in about 3 more years, I would've been fine with this news, but a lot of us (me included) just got a 3DS last year for Pokemon, we've barely had our 3DSs for a year and it's about to become out of date just like that! I'm not sure what I'm going to do except eventually give in, but I hope developers will stick with the 3DS for a while yet.

I might be misunderstanding your post, but I think you might be misunderstanding me as well. The New 3DS will still play older 3DS titles... but the old 3DS isn't "guaranteed" to play new games, other than Pokemon, which is the only game confirmed to play on the old one.

It's similar to the GB>GBC thing, except we had 1-2 years of cross-compatible games, and from everything I'm seeing, Pokemon could be the last original 3DS compatible game.

[note: Smash, also, since it comes out before the New 3DS... 2 weeks to go in Japan!]
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:52 pm Reply with quote
^Ah, yes, I thought you made it sound like the new one wouldn't be guaranteed to play old games. I mean, with the original DS, models eventually phased out GBA games, I figured it was something similar here. I'm hoping that it will only be a select few games though, at least I still have Xenoblade on the Wii (unplayed, because when I got my PS3, my mom took my Wii for Netflix purposes, but I did get it back recently but need to find someplace to set it back up with my new TV).
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:56 pm Reply with quote
I don't really care myself. I'll buy it, I have a job, money's not exactly an issue for me especially if it's just the usual 150-200 dollar price, and I can sell my old 3DS XL for around 110 so I'm only going to pay 50 for the upgrade. New specs and buttons are enough of a justification for me to do it, any future games are a bonus.
DJStarstryker

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:31 am Reply with quote
I don't really care that much. I'm not buying a New 3DS until/if there's several games that I want for it. I no longer buy video game hardware until there's several I want. I felt like I got burned with the original Wii - I bought it on day 1 but not enough games came out for it that I liked and it sat collecting dust. It's the same reason I never bought a Vita.

If there's several games that come out for it that I really want, it'll earn its extra cost and I'll buy it. Until then, I'm happy with my regular 3DS.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Video Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1