• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Announcement: Welcome to Daily Streaming Reviews!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
st_owly

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:15 am Reply with quote
bin1127 wrote:
I would've thought Bamboo would reprise her role in some form with the relaunch of stream reviews, but I guess The Stream really left a poor aftertaste.

What is Bamboo assigned to write about these days? I don't read all the articles posted but how could it be that I haven't yet encountered a single post by her? She's the best ANN writer in my books and I hope she wasn't relegated to some dark corner of the site.

She writes the Shelf Life column.
littlefishgirl

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:06 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Thanks for some clarification, Zac. I do see one problem though: cluttering the front page with new reviews every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

We'll space them out as best we can (maybe one per hour or something) but there's nothing we can do about the TV schedule being what it is. There's no point in doing these daily if we spread them out so much that stuff that airs Saturday doesn't get written up until Monday.

I agree with those saying it clutters up the feed--what if it was given it's own heading (with News, Interest, Reviews, Anime, Manga, Novels, Games, Toys, Events, People, Live Action, Episode Reviews? That way the people that would like to sort it out have the ability to.

For the people that would like to be able to find the reviews but don't want them in their feed, perhaps you could make it so the site can filter multiple of those categories...like a checkbox system? For instance, if I want to read News, Interest, and Events, I can check all three at once to see only those (instead of filtering each, one-at-a-time). A way to save category preferences to your account would be awesome, too!

I think it's cool that you're adding this feature to the site, and look forward to seeing how you proceed with all this new content!
rizuchan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:36 am Reply with quote
stardf29 wrote:
I'm curious as to how this will work once a new season starts. Will the episode reviews run concurrently with the Preview Guide? And how will the process of who gets what show go when everyone has at most one episode of the show to work with? Will there be a bloodbath as everyone fights for the shows that look good, leaving the losers with the shows that look to be crap? (With the full acceptance of the possibility that a good-looking show can turn out to be crap and the crap-looking show will turn out good, of course...) Razz

Actually, I was wondering too how this was going to work in combination with the Preview guide. One of the great things about the preview guide is that you have a handful of reviewers with different tastes reviewing different kinds of shows. I'm just afraid that if all of the reviewers pick their shows, and they generally choose genres they like, it'll be difficult to tell which new shows are good all-around and which are "if you like the genre, you'll probably like it" shows.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:49 am Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
bin1127 wrote:
I would've thought Bamboo would reprise her role in some form with the relaunch of stream reviews, but I guess The Stream really left a poor aftertaste.

What is Bamboo assigned to write about these days? I don't read all the articles posted but how could it be that I haven't yet encountered a single post by her? She's the best ANN writer in my books and I hope she wasn't relegated to some dark corner of the site.

animenewsnetwork.com/interest

This is where you will find Bamboo. Shelf Life is secondary to Interest.

Quote:
Actually, I was wondering too how this was going to work in combination with the Preview guide.

As mentioned in the editorial: preview guide isn't changing. You may see a couple names from the Daily Streaming side joining it, but it's going to be the same as it ever was. I won't be adding 8 people to it; at most it'll be one or two folks.

Likely we will do the guide and then launch daily streaming reviews for the season after it's over.

For anyone curious about the show selection process, here's how it works: everyone submits a Top 5 list of shows they'd most like to write about. Hope and I sit down with those Top 5s and try to give everyone at least one or two of their top 5 shows, and then ask for volunteers for the series nobody requested. People snap those up and then whatever's leftover gets assigned. We only had to assign 2 shows this time around, which IMO is pretty good out of 31.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:16 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
I'm just afraid that if all of the reviewers pick their shows, and they generally choose genres they like, it'll be difficult to tell which new shows are good all-around and which are "if you like the genre, you'll probably like it" shows.

If you write about media a lot, like a lot of us do for our blogs or other sites or whatever, you often find the shows you have the most to say about aren't necessarily the ones you think are the BEST. Sometimes they are, but often you're more eager to write about something you think has some flaws.

invalidname wrote:
(I have a pet hypothesis that there's so much good TV nowadays and so much anime that it's impractical or impossible for a critic to keep up with both).

I think it's more that a lot of "serious TV geeks" still have kind of a stigma against anime or cartoons in general, and don't really understand it. Or they just don't think there's an audience for it. I've had trouble with the feminist or LGBT pop-culture sites I've written for, getting them interested in me writing about any anime other than really big stuff like Sailor Moon. Even stuff you'd figure would generate a lot of interest, like Attack on Titan. People who aren't paying attention to anime still don't necessarily know about this stuff, and therefore, don't think it's going to get them the traffic they want.

Last edited by SailorTralfamadore on Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:51 pm Reply with quote
SailorTralfamadore wrote:
If you write about media a lot, like a lot of us do for our blogs or other sites or whatever, you often find the shows you have the most to say about aren't necessarily the ones you think are the BEST. Sometimes they are, but often you're more eager to write about something you think has some flaws.

QFT, and the entire reason why Aldnoah.Zero was my top-priority pick to do. (By comparison, Tokyo ESP was my "I have to do the title aping American comic books" pick and Hanayamata is my "I have to do one of the best titles of the season" picks.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Out of curiosity, could we know which were the two shows that had to be assigned?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:31 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Out of curiosity, could we know which were the two shows that had to be assigned?

Nobunaga Concerto and Momo Kyun Sword.
varmintx

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:40 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
bin1127 wrote:

It should be noted that she does review a streaming show every now and then in this column as well. I don't know if that's going to stop now that the new streaming reviews have started.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:42 pm Reply with quote
had a feeling Momo would be one of them, yet that was still preferable over Fate/Kaleid?
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Sad to hear that no one wanted Nobunaga Concerto. I consider it one of the most underrated gems of the season, maybe even the year, and easily the best Nobunaga anime I've watched. I do understand that the weird animation would drive people away (even I was hesitant on picking it up after watching the trailer) and the first episode was less than stellar, but the characters are very greatly realized and they made a fantastic job in entwining the spoiler[time-slip plot] with the historical facts. Also, Miyano's performance as Saburo is brilliant.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Right now your option is to go to animenewsnetwork.com/news for just news and animenewsnetwork.com/interest for just interest.

Or go to animenewsnetwork.com/main-feed/ for just news and interest.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:10 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Sad to hear that no one wanted Nobunaga Concerto. I consider it one of the most underrated gems of the season, maybe even the year, and easily the best Nobunaga anime I've watched.

We actually tried watching it (it was on my list of "this sounds like it could be interesting" shows), but it really wasn't my thing, and my roommate, who usually likes the more historical-angled shows, felt that it didn't "feel" right as an anime, but she's hoping someone picks up the manga. It just struck her as a title that would be better in print than animated.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Quick note: today's pacing in terms of posting reviews is dramatically more indicative of what to expect on a day to day basis. Friday was an aberration given we had both Wednesday and Thursday shows to post, which resulted in a total of 13 reviews going up in a short period.

That probably won't happen again. 4-6 throughout the day on busy days, 2-3 on lighter days is more what you can expect. Hopefully people feel less like the news feed is being "clogged".
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:57 pm Reply with quote
maxwell3094 wrote:
Understandable that the front page clutter is the more high priority issue as it is kind of annoying currently. I would just like to agree with the idea of having the episode review threads be the official series thread in the anime forum when you get around to it. Assuming its possible it seems like a good idea since the series threads are already talking about a show as it airs so a separate review thread would probably end up really similar to the series thread.

Yeah this is pretty much my only concern with this, as it is there's going to be a major split in the discussion between the episode review and the anime threads, with some people only going to one and other posting there stuff in both. Having a new forum threads every week for every show also limit longer discussion.

For fixing the front page clutter, nothing really you can do without actually including a new section. If you do that you might as well re do the entire front page.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7