• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Emiri Katō, Kaori Fukuhara Perform Inou Battle Within Everyday Life Anime's Ending Theme

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:30 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Man calls girlfriend a pig for not looking like his anime crush

• So we imagine the woman, who posted her story on website Kazoku Channel, was already feeling a bit of pressure when she found out her boyfriend was smitten with the orange-tressed anime pirate. She couldn’t have felt any better when her boyfriend told her that, in his mind, Nami’s body was what he thought the standard for a woman’s figure should be. “I told him there aren’t any real women with those proportions!” she recalls.

The boyfriend refused to give up on his fantasy, though, and one day showed his girlfriend a collection of pictures he’d found of foreign women who were indeed built like his anime crush. “He said I was a pig, that I didn’t try hard enough, and that I had the body of a lazy person. I may not look like a model, but at 160 centimeters tall and 53 kilograms (5 feet 3 inches and 117 pounds), I’m not fat, either.”

Needless to say, this didn’t sit well with the woman. “It’s a dirty way to do it, but I decided that he might come around if I made him feel the same way.” Adopting similar tactics, she armed herself with issues of three manga series: Fist of the North Star, Jungle King Tar-chan, and Otokojuku.

“Every time he’d look at Nami and say, ‘This is how a girl’s gotta be,’ I’d look at [Fist of the North Star antagonist] Raoh and say the same thing right back.”

The girlfriend hoped that through voicing such excessively high physical expectations, her boyfriend would come to understand how she herself didn’t like being put in that position. Fighting fire with fire tends to just give you a bigger fire, though, and one day he snapped. “Shut up!” she remembers him yelling. “Men and women are different, and you’re the one we’re talking about now!”

While laughter seems like a pretty appropriate response to this hissy fit, the situation’s comedic potential only lasted until the boyfriend decided to punctuate his remarks by hitting her. Thankfully, he lacked the brute strength of the musclebound manga characters the woman had made a point of overtly ogling and she wasn’t seriously injured, though she now found herself wondering just why she should continue dating her boyfriend.

Like that.

And your point? It seems you are showing an example of an abusive relationship which I announce as being an exception of what I've stated earlier.

enurtsol wrote:

http://fanlore.org/wiki/Rec.arts.anime.creative

I've known a few who'd later on become published authors of their own stories (with nods to anime/manga refs of course).

Good for those arthurs. As for the website, I imagine it was a nice place at the time for anyone who wanted to share their works be it fanworks or original.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:26 am Reply with quote
Aquasakura wrote:
Ali07 wrote:

I think that there are a couple of things that do contribute. Like you already mentioned, the hours of work you hear when it comes to Japanese workplaces does seem like a lot. I've heard about bosses being happy when they see their employees sleeping, because that means that they'll be working more hours of the day after having a nap.

That...sounds cruel in a way depending on how you look at it, or it could just be a way for bosses to punish their employees for sleeping on the job.

That's just what I've heard. Apparently, it's seen as a sign of dedication.

Aquasakura wrote:
By the way I finally found the video that talks about it. More like videos.

Huh, the guy sounds like he is from New Zealand. Never heard of this site before...but that was some interesting watching. His thoughts on romance in anime are pretty much the same as mine. Laughing

He's is so right when it comes to zombies. I don't care where they came from, I just want to see how the characters survive. Thing is, I do feel like the analogy falls a part a bit as most zombie movies reach a conclusion, where (to me) it seems like most romance/harem anime don't reach a conclusion when the overarching plot is the romance.

But, I guess that we aren't meant to see his analogy that way. It isn't meant to be viewed in a way where you take the endings into account. We're meant to view it from the point of there being something lacking in the overall story that the audience doesn't mind ignoring.

I won't get started on fan service...

Aquasakura wrote:
As to whether I would get confuse by the story I would have to see for myself when I watch it. I'm not going to look into discussion of this show in the hopes that one day I would enjoy the story entirely, so I don't want to risk getting spoil. Speaking of which I fully decided that I would still get the anime.

Oh, of course. I was merely talking about the confusion because I did get a bit lost while watching it. I would look at the discussion of the episode if I felt confused, only because some would explain parts well enough (without spoiling) where it helped me grasp something better than if I were to try and work through things on my own.

Some of the mythology might've been lost to me if I hadn't done so. Laughing

And, I hope you enjoy it. I did, for the most part, but I think that the fact they left one book out of the adaption will always irk me.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:

That's just what I've heard. Apparently, it's seen as a sign of dedication.

Oh! Well alright then. It's just how it was worded it sounded like those bosses were being menacing.

Ali07 wrote:

Huh, the guy sounds like he is from New Zealand. Never heard of this site before...

That's because he is from New Zealand. He mention that in one episode. I can imagine you must have more contact with people from New Zealand considering you're from Australia and from what I've heard those countries seem to interact with each other often. As for the site it s a wonderful site if you like watching critics review media of different kinds be it movies, comics, manga, anime, music, shows, and other things. There are also a couple of podcasts, a radio show, and other neat stuff. If you get the time you should give the other videos a try. My favorites are the following:

Nostalgic Critic
http://thatguywiththeglasses.wikia.com/wiki/The_Nostalgia_Critic#Summary

Atop the 4th Wall
http://thatguywiththeglasses.wikia.com/wiki/Atop_the_Fourth_Wall

Note: You might also need this if you do decide to watch it (or you can start at the very beginning) http://at4wplotguide.tumblr.com/

The Blockbuster Buster
[url]http://thatguywiththeglasses.wikia.com/wiki/The_Blockbuster_Buster_%28show%29
[/url]

The Rap Critic Review
http://thatguywiththeglasses.wikia.com/wiki/Rap_Critic_Reviews

Shinkara
http://thatguywiththeglasses.wikia.com/wiki/Shinkara

Ali07 wrote:

...but that was some interesting watching. His thoughts on romance in anime are pretty much the same as mine. Laughing

He's is so right when it comes to zombies. I don't care where they came from, I just want to see how the characters survive. Thing is, I do feel like the analogy falls a part a bit as most zombie movies reach a conclusion, where (to me) it seems like most romance/harem anime don't reach a conclusion when the overarching plot is the romance.

But, I guess that we aren't meant to see his analogy that way. It isn't meant to be viewed in a way where you take the endings into account. We're meant to view it from the point of there being something lacking in the overall story that the audience doesn't mind ignoring.

I won't get started on fan service...

Alright you don’t have to. You must have a lot to say on fan service that you don’t feel like sharing right now. Anyway. I can see as much from the conversation we've been having. Concerning the analogy of zombie stories being similar to romance anime that was the whole point of him making the connection. That there is something missing with each genre. I can understand what you mean with how zombie stories at least have an endings compare to most romantic anime. As a side note, I don't think I can get fully on board with zombie stories as I actually do prefer stories explaining why certain events happen.

Ali07 wrote:

Oh, of course. I was merely talking about the confusion because I did get a bit lost while watching it. I would look at the discussion of the episode if I felt confused, only because some would explain parts well enough (without spoiling) where it helped me grasp something better than if I were to try and work through things on my own.

Some of the mythology might've been lost to me if I hadn't done so. Laughing

And, I hope you enjoy it. I did, for the most part, but I think that the fact they left one book out of the adaption will always irk me.

I know. I understand. I’ve been thinking that perhaps it would be easier for people to understand the Red Data Girl anime if they were familiar with Shintoism, but it’s only a guess. I won’t know how confusing this anime is until I watch it. I look forward to watching it probably later this year as I am planning on buying as many things until December. I plant to read the novels when I learn to read Japanese so I'll be planning to buy them as well. I'm not going to let the fact a studio couldn't both to adapt a whole series to stop me from enjoying the story to it's fullest.
[/url]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:27 am Reply with quote
Thanks for those links. Always like to get different perspectives on things, so will check out what the reviews they do are like.

On fan service, all I'll say is that as a whole it doesn't annoy me. I've found that a lot of it does seem out of place in the shows I watch, whether it's badly times shots or just plain unnecessary. I do like Highschool DxD and To Love-ru, and think they probably handle it well enough...but even though they're fan service shows, they don't always use it properly.

Fan service isn't something that keeps me around. If I find the story either lacking or just too stupid for me, it'll be dropped...no matter how good the fan service may be. Laughing
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:46 am Reply with quote
So do I when it comes to perspectives. You're welcome. I was going to leave a summery of each show but it was getting vary late so I left the links to the channel awesome wiki pages that explained each web show. Those were just my favorites as I mention before, so be sure to explore the others and find your own favorite web shows (if you can).

As for fan service I'm not bother with it either so as long it doesn't interfere with the story or becomes too successive. Like with your case I don't watch anime just for fan service and will stop watching a series if I find it s too ridiculous. For me anime anime series that I've seen so far that handle fan service well enough was the ova Original Dirty Pair by Sunrise. The two main characters wore cleavage as their uniforms, and it seems as if the studio recognize that what they were wearing was enough fan service for the audience as it was. From what I've watch so far (I haven't finish watching the whole thing) they don't take it too far like showing boob and butt shots for example. Perhaps among anime with fan service Dirty Pair is the most settle of them all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2