• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Devils and Realist GN 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sakuragtin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:59 am Reply with quote
I'll have to disagree with you on this review. I actually quite enjoyed Devils and Realist and didn't find it mediocre at all. I'm enjoying it better than Black Butler. I guess William would make or break the series for you though. Personally, I loved him. His cynical attitude toward everything was hilarious and for me it made him adorable.
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:08 pm Reply with quote
sakuragtin wrote:
I'll have to disagree with you on this review. I actually quite enjoyed Devils and Realist and didn't find it mediocre at all. I'm enjoying it better than Black Butler. I guess William would make or break the series for you though. Personally, I loved him. His cynical attitude toward everything was hilarious and for me it made him adorable.

Yeah, William is probably one of my favourite things about the series. I like how with all this madness going on around him he doesn't really want any part in it. He just wants to live a normal life so it's perfectly understandable that he wouldn't be particularly nice to those trying to drag him into the demon's world.

--

I didn't think the first volume was perfect but I think it does show promise. The whole "new character tries to get William's vote" thing does get a bit repetitive but towards the end of volume 2 it seems that there is more to the series than just that aspect. The lack of female characters also changes in volume 2 (the colour page at the start is two female characters bathing together which was a bit of a surprise for a Comic Zero Sum title). Overall, I'm really looking forward to seeing where the series goes now that the foundations have been laid.
traveling

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:25 am Reply with quote
Does anyone know how much of the manga the anime adapted?
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:56 am Reply with quote
I think "mediocre" is a good way to describe DaR. I enjoyed reading it well enough, but there was just something missing for me, that I felt the anime did much better, that I can't quite put a finger on. Maybe it was the great performances of the voice cast, or maybe it was the pacing, or maybe it was a combination of that and a little bit of something else. But while I liked the anime enough that I wouldn't mind rewatching it, I can't see myself going out of my way to reread the manga. I'll read the other volumes, and I'm hoping it does get better, but it's not something I'd buy (libraries FTW!).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1