• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Haikyu!! (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:25 pm Reply with quote
I honestly don't care if they reuse the scene of Oikawa's serve twenty times (and god knows they have), because it looks really pretty and I can't give a flying fudge about 3 seconds of recycled material when the storytelling and character development is so rich and emotional.
Just because this is an animated medium doesn't mean animation should be the deal breaker when evaluating anime.
danilo07

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:52 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
I honestly don't care if they reuse the scene of Oikawa's serve twenty times (and god knows they have), because it looks really pretty and I can't give a flying fudge about 3 seconds of recycled material when the storytelling and character development is so rich and emotional.
Just because this is an animated medium doesn't mean animation should be the deal breaker when evaluating anime.

Those aren't the only instances of reused animation, there are instances where reused animation can hurt storytelling. I could swear that the spike made by Asahi in latest episode was reused from previous episodes and keep in mind that this was supposed to be a "special" spike ( the last one to be created by Suga ). But it didn't feel "special" at all, because as I said before it was already seen somewhere.
Just judging by animation Haikyu is one of the best shows currently airing, there were some exquisite cuts. Paradoxically, that makes reused or bad animation stand out even more. And I don't find the character development to be rich, not when that development solely consists of people learning to be a part of team or whatever. It's neatly executed and it fits what the show is going for, but I wouldn't call it rich.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:13 pm Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
And I don't find the character development to be rich, not when that development solely consists of people learning to be a part of team or whatever. It's neatly executed and it fits what the show is going for, but I wouldn't call it rich.

If that's all you've gotten out of these characters, then it's no wonder you don't think they're well developed. Only two characters have that as an issue - one because he thought he could do everything and the other because he was afraid he couldn't do anything and would be kicked out for failing. Everyone else is all about being a team player. They've got that part down, but they still have various other issues they need to work on.

And I never felt like any pre-game episode was to hype the next game, but to provide more insight into where everyone's head was at and what they were doing to improve themselves and their game.

If the gameplay is all that's holding you, well, that's apparently enough, but you're missing out on a lot by only focusing your attention on that. If you think these characters aren't well developed, take a trip through all the eyecatches. Those 5 second clips could be animated by generic stick figures and you would still know who each character was just by what they are doing and how they react to the result. Smile
Bugnin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:30 pm Reply with quote
This current match is the best of the bunch so far. It shows despite being tremendously talented that kageyama has exploitable weaknesses, as well as the worth of a senior backup that makes up for his lack of talent with experience and leadership.
danilo07

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If that's all you've gotten out of these characters, then it's no wonder you don't think they're well developed. Only two characters have that as an issue - one because he thought he could do everything and the other because he was afraid he couldn't do anything and would be kicked out for failing. Everyone else is all about being a team player. They've got that part down, but they still have various other issues they need to work on.

You are blowing my statement out of proportions. There is definitely a development occurring, but it is very cliched and simplistic development. The insecure one will become secure, the detached one will become a part of group and so on and on, you get the picture. I am absolutely fine with this, this is shonen anime about volleyball. But let's not call this development rich.
I have never said anything bad about characters, I think they are great. Unlike a lot of these shows, the characters always consistently written. They react to different situations in a way you would expect them to. All of the humor comes directly from the personalities of these characters, which creates a certain sense of believability. They all of have different relationships and dynamics with each other and that allows author to create an atmosphere of a real team. So, yeah these are finely executed characters but not rich.
Quote:
And I never felt like any pre-game episode was to hype the next game, but to provide more insight into where everyone's head was at and what they were doing to improve themselves and their game.

That makes it even worse, you can tell that sort of information with a less screen time.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:19 pm Reply with quote
I guess I don't understand your criteria for applying the word "rich" then. Everything you detailed is another point in favor of using it.
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:05 am Reply with quote
I honestly enjoyed the pre-game episodes a lot more than the actual games (which i am also enjoying quite a bit, definitely more than i expected), but i am not a huge fan of sports anime and endless tournament arcs usually bore me to tears.

So i'm probably the only one here hoping for Karasuno to lose this game and the show to go back to training camps and other funny slice of life-ish stuff... Wink
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:59 am Reply with quote
Episode 22:

I just love how the show spoiler[characterizes some of the players with clever background stories. The latest episode balanced that well with the match and tactics. I like how members of the team are able to collaborate and work effectively, especially for Karasuno as they are able to keep the momentum.]

Next week should be even more exciting!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:45 am Reply with quote
Kageyama's spoiler[smile] quite literally made me spit out my coffee. Laughing His attempts at getting along better with spoiler[Tsukki] were priceless, too.

Loved spoiler[Oikawa's and Iwaizumi's backstory] and we finally find out the reason behind spoiler[Kageyama's and Oikawa's..].complicated relationship.

As for the match, so it's really going to be spoiler[three sets], eh? Usually i would be annoyed by now at the show for spoiler[unnecessarily stretching the game,] but Haikyuu!! somehow manages to give you a feeling of true suspense and not just some pseudo-drama.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:11 am Reply with quote
Episode 22

Oh dear lord! For a second Kageyama looked like Midousuji. The episode was hilarious for Kageyama's spoiler[attempts to be friendly].
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:50 am Reply with quote
Another fantastic episode, loved the back stories and personality builds from multiple members of the team. I felt so tense during that final serve and spoiler[couldn't help but shout up when they got the point] Laughing

I feel like my thoughts on each episode become smaller each week but there is only so much praise you can give before you start repeating yourself Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:29 pm Reply with quote
With Kageyama back in the game things got interesting.
His happy face was totally creepy.
Lets hope he won't get sidetracked again.
It was nice to see him try to change for others.
His high fives were ROFL
2nd set was much better for Karasuno.
Tsukishima's game was off.
Looks like it was 'cause he didn't like Kageyama.
Thanks to Kageyama's lenience today anything can be fixed!
It was awesome watching Karasuno function as a real team.
Flashback to Oikawa-Kageyama past was a nice way to understand some things.
Great episode with nice progress!
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:34 am Reply with quote
I might re-watch the latest episode again but wow, that was just phenomenal. The match never lost its momentum and kept it going till the very end there.

Well, the match continues until next time but it was a great episode.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:29 am Reply with quote
What a phenomenal episode filled with non-stop action and intensity. Although it didn't quite go to plane I was happy to see spoiler[Yamaguchi get out into the game] and I'd be surprised if we didn't see him spoiler[out there again in the next episode.] Only two more episode to go so my guess is spoiler[this match will finish next game, most likely with a loss, Big Windup style but left so a second season could be feasible. To be honest I hope it ends with a win so there will definitely be a season two Very Happy ]

Will definitely start reading the manga over the coming weeks so I can continue with my Haikyu fix.
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:40 am Reply with quote
Is it just me or did the animation look kinda off this week?

Anyhow, great episode as usual, but i gotta say that i will be severely disappointed if spoiler[Karasuno win.] It was brought up over and over again that they are spoiler["inferior in every way" (and yes, i'm aware that sometimes inferior teams win against superior ones IRL, but that's not really my point...)and it's basically the Kageyama and Hinata combo that makes the difference.] So if they spoiler[won] because of that, it would be such an overplayed shounen sports cliché and i'm simply expecting better from this series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 23