• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Can you get too old for anime?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:57 am Reply with quote
Neither is errinundra any more. I'm 64. I think Alan45 is a couple years older than me.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:59 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I've been 69 for a couple of months now. I was, supposedly, too old for anime when I started. "They" were wrong.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:19 am Reply with quote
Can I adopt you guys as my new anime grandparents lol? I hopw when I'm at your ages I still am a fan myself.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Just for amusement, I went back and reviewed the whole thread. It is amazing how many of the posters are no longer with us. I have to wonder if they quit anime or just ANN.

@Psycho 101

Only if you give up your security blanket. Mr. Green
Akemi Tachibana

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Not sure how to respond to that. Seeing as only 12% of anime is marketed at little kids, I see no reason why someone would become too old to watch Anime unless they just lose interest in entertainment all together.
Crusher X303

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:20 pm Reply with quote
It is nice to see that there are a wide variety of ages that watch anime. I am not "old" myself (28) but I have gotten my father into anime (he is 64) and he loves it.

It has almost become a weekly thing to sit down on Saturday and Sunday to catch up on the new episodes of the season as well as to watch older episodes of other shows.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Akemi Tachibana wrote:
Not sure how to respond to that. Seeing as only 12% of anime is marketed at little kids, I see no reason why someone would become too old to watch Anime unless they just lose interest in entertainment all together.

Yes, but the rest is targeting teenagers and young adults and you can see it that teenagers/young adults are often protagonists and shows tackle issues like first love, problems with parents, etc. Older people might not be interested in them.
mykokoro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:33 pm Reply with quote
quoththeraven wrote:
Muhahaha. The dreaded question that eats at the souls of anime-watchers beyond the age of twenty-five.

Or maybe not. Laughing

But its a fair question to ask i suppose.

For some, anime seems like this thing you watch with your friends starting as a kid and moving through till the end of college. You hang onto it for a few more years, and then *poof* your an adult with a mortgage to pay, kids to feed, a 9 to 5 job to go to.

Bada-bing bada-boom, your done.

Now, i'm not saying that this is the fate of everyone. But i can't help but noticing from my vantage point mid-way in the process that up ahead of me in the late-late twentys and early 30s, the crowd of anime lovers thins out ALOT.

And i haven't met a single person in their 40s who still likes anime and isn't somehow connected to it as an industry. Whether they own a manga shop or whatnot.

In other words, i haven't met a 40 year old who likes anime and hasn't turn that relationship into some sort of business.

So what do you think? Is this simply a fated process? Life will get more busy and anime will slowly sink into the back of our heads until we're all in our 60s watching our grandchildren watch Lupin III and going "Hey, i remember that!" Razz

NO! I WILL NEVER STOP LOVING ANIME!

Unless, of course, at some point in my life I lose the strong bond between the characters that fuels my intense emotions for them.

...Which will never happen to me anyway. :3
...I hope. :/
wizard55

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:56 pm Reply with quote
I haven't posted here in a LONG time, but figured I would put in my two cents. Im almost 26, and I haven't watched an entire anime series in a number of years. I find every series is a recycled plot involving mechas, teens, young girls, magic, or card I agree with the poster a few pages back where I prefer anime with adult characters and a more mature theme and I don't like over the top fanservice. Witch Hunter Robin I really enjoyed...Read or Die was good but has some parts I feel are annoying. I know if I dig enough Ill find newer series with mature thenes like "Bartender", which I only watch two episodes of but it was quite intriguing that a animated series could be so like real life.

I also have a son now and literally the only time I'll sit and watch anime is when he is watching it with me. I watch Medabots and Digimon and a lot of my old DVDs and tapes with him and he enjoys them a lot. So it's a mix of life's other responsibilities and lack of original series.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Going blind or death are the only things that would get me to stop watching anime!

Thanks Alan45, yuna49, and errinundra for making me not be one of the oldest members on the site! At 44 it's good to know that I'm not the "old man" on these boards.
ShiroKingyo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm 32 and I'm returning to anime after a long break. I definitely feel a little awkward talking about it to people, but I've discovered that even in a smaller town like this I can find people my age who also still enjoy it :)

I just went to DragonCon for the first time this weekend, and contrary to what I expected I did not really feel much older than the general crowd; and I even did cosplay!

I have a daughter and I'm looking forward to sharing a lot of my favorites with her as she gets older.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:52 pm Reply with quote
@Beltane70

Always happy to be of service. For what it is worth, I was older than you are before I discovered anime.

Now if I can just get someone here to admit to being older than me ...
pibburns

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@Beltane70
Now if I can just get someone here to admit to being older than me ...

I am only 61, so I cannot claim to be older than you. I may however have started watching anime at a younger age.

I was and still am a great fan of all types of animation. I watched all the usual domestic Saturday morning cartoons as a boy.

My first anime were Astro-Boy, Gigantor, and 8th Man which I watched as a child when they initially aired in the U.S. in the early 1960s.

I grew up bilingual (English and French) which helped with my interest in Japanese animation, particularly that of authors such as Leiji Matsumoto whose works were (and I believe still are) very popular in France, but less so here in the United States. There are series which received a French dub that were never licensed in the U.S. or never received an English language dub.

After fifty years I am still a fan, and I expect I will continue to be. I have no connection to the anime industry. I just really enjoy animation of all kinds.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Still here too, and watching as much anime as always. I'm 32 this year and started when I was 12.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Just for amusement, I went back and reviewed the whole thread. It is amazing how many of the posters are no longer with us. I have to wonder if they quit anime or just ANN.

@Psycho 101

Only if you give up your security blanket. Mr. Green

You should go and read through the Intro thread from page 1. I feel like a geezer here. Almost everyone I used to talk to is gone. Yet somehow I am still here. I feel like that old guy in a neighborhood living at the house on the hill at the end. All the other original owners are gone. Sure the community association (staff) is mostly the same but most of the neighbors I had have left and moved on. Now I sit alone at the top of the hill as a sort of ghost story to be passed along by the new neighbors. "I heard he once watched all of Ranma 1/2 in one week." "Late at night you can hear the sounds of 80's anime coming from his window across the wind." Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 12