• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
General Questions / Identifying Anime.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ignatz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:34 am Reply with quote
Question: Must I watch Gunbuster before watching Diebuster?

You see, I'm one of those spoiled kids who don't really like watching old stuff. However, I really want to see Diebuster, since it's written by Yoji Enokido, who is one of my favorite writers in the anime industry. The question is, will I understand everything that will be going on in Diebuster without having seen Gunbuster?
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:09 am Reply with quote
For the most part, yes, you can watch Diebuster without having seen Gunbuster and not really be lost. However, I do think that you're doing yourself a disservice by not watching Gunbuster.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Gunbuster isn't very long (three hours total), so you could just watch it anyway. On the other hand, it was pretty bad, and I found Gunbuster 2 hard to follow even after having seen the old OVA, so maybe it's better to leave it.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:30 pm Reply with quote
I've been looking for a show I saw on VHS in the 90's that I still have yet to come across again.

All I remember is Its the cyberpunk era, its about a cop, there are two people standing in a 2 floor military bay where they are surrounded by mobile suits, military green and small. The suits are like a skid steer bobcat. One person is working on the suits, the other is chitchatting. Suddenly attention is called outside and the talking character goes outside with the suit on, jumps to the second story awning and pursues the threat.

I don't think its dominion tank police, black magic m66 or patlabor. I've checked Orguss 1 and 2, bubble gum crisis, angel cop, riding bean and cyber city oedo.

It was back when OVAs and part 3s and 4s were the only available VHS titles in those mom and pop video stores. Any help, or you simply know would be greatly appreciated.
Code21

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know what anime this character is from?

zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:07 am Reply with quote
Ever since Tony Oliver's Q&A at Otakon, I'm thinking I want to get Gungrave. Reviews seem to indicate it's good, so I'm not looking for opinions on that, my question is: DVD or Bluray? I finally have a PS3 so that's a huge plus, but that show is from 2003-4, I have no idea if it's native HD or if the upscale is good enough to warrant the extra money.

Actually just in general, what's the approximate cutoff for when anime started being made in mostly native HD (not counting movies, just TV shows and OVAs). I've heard some upscales are really good, some are ok but not worth the extra price over DVD, and some are god-awful.
Ignatz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:00 pm Reply with quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg2j4YPcwR8

What anime is at 0:06-0:09?
pibburns

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Ignatz wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg2j4YPcwR8

What anime is at 0:06-0:09?

The scene appears in the opening for the God Eater Burst game.

Check for "God Eater burst opening" on Youtube or similar sites.
Ignatz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:41 pm Reply with quote
So, it's not an anime. Sad

Well, thanks anyway.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:33 pm Reply with quote
pibburns wrote:
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
I am trying to remember an anime I watched last year. I am not sure if these characters were mains or just side characters for one specific episode. There is a kid that wants to be a hero so at night he would sneak out to "beat" the bad guys. The bad guys were actually thugs paid by his father. The thugs would pretend to lose the kid. Later on the thugs wanted more money but the dad couldn't pay. I think the dad gets saved by the main character.

This plot sequence occurs in the Yu-Gi-Oh! manga. See the details at:

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Yu-Gi-Oh!_-_Duel_022
http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Yu-Gi-Oh!_-_Duel_023

I have never watched the Yu-Gi-Oh! anime series so I can't say which episodes might have adapted these manga chapters. I'd suggest though that Yu-Gi-Oh! is your best bet as the source of the episode you watched.

Lol wtf!! Yes it was Yugioh. I have no idea why I remembered a random Yugioh episode when I watched it as a kid like 10+ years ago. I could have sworn that I watched this recently.
Mudang Harada

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:56 am Reply with quote
Testing if i can post.
No Comment

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Was the dub of the Mobile Suit Gundam Movie Trilogy ever released on DVD? I know it's terrible, but I find it endearingly bad.

I picked up the three individual 2002 releases at Half Price Book's labor day sale today, and I figured since they were the earliest North American DVD version of the anime, they would have the dub. But alas, they don't as far as I can tell. Would I have to go back to VHS tapes for the dub? It obviously it wasn't made for a later release and I imagined they'd want to bury it for any future releases like the Anime Legends version, but I figured at least the earliest DVD would have it.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:44 pm Reply with quote
According to an Amazon search, the Anime Legends version is Japanese only, but the 2002 edition is in English and Japanese. The UC Gundam Movie Pack (Trilogy, Char's Counterattack, and Miller's Report) also lists English and Japanese, but it doesn't note if all are in both, or if just some are.
pibburns

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:10 am Reply with quote
Code21 wrote:
Does anyone know what anime this character is from?

This is Kiyoko from Strange+. Please see episode 11.
pibburns

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:24 am Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
I've been looking for a show I saw on VHS in the 90's that I still have yet to come across again.

All I remember is Its the cyberpunk era, its about a cop, there are two people standing in a 2 floor military bay where they are surrounded by mobile suits, military green and small. The suits are like a skid steer bobcat. One person is working on the suits, the other is chitchatting. Suddenly attention is called outside and the talking character goes outside with the suit on, jumps to the second story awning and pursues the threat.

Are you sure this was a Japanese cartoon? You might want to try to find an episode of the domestic (U.S.) mini-series The Centurions, which was animated for Ruby-Spears by Sunrise in Japan, and see if that might be what you're seeking. The original mini-series was five episodes long (the TV series was much longer).

Somewhere packed away I have a VHS tape of a few episodes of the mini-series released under the "Children's Video Library". It appears the entire mini-series is now available on DVD or DVD-R from distributors like Amazon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 487 of 569