• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sword Art Online II (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:12 am Reply with quote
Episode 9

Yeah his friends are making a joke about spoiler[him probably using a sword, until they see what he can do with one]. Good to see that they all know him pretty well, also they spoiler[figured out LC is involved].

On what gun Death Gun was using, I wonder if spoiler[it points to acts of someone familiar with Sinon's past, maybe got a sick fantasy about it], or could be entirely a coincidence. Although clearly DG is cheating too, I call hax.

On the final scene, there are a number of possibilities: spoiler[Kirito was using her as bait (this has precedence with Silica), Kirito saved her from a distance, someone else shot, or it was Sinon]. I was not too fond of the idea of spoiler[Sinon being the one who shot], by proxy that the idea spoiler[she got over her trauma]. But now that I think about it there is an implication that spoiler[Sinon has very strong survival instincts], I can see maybe it spoiler[kicking in and perhaps overriding the system like Asuna and Kirito have managed to do].
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:30 am Reply with quote
Shikiari wrote:
It was interesting that the spoiler[SAO players from Kirito's harem all recognised Death Gun as a member of Laughing Coffin] from just his catchphrase.

Hmm, are we watching the same anime?

None of Kirito's harem knows about Death Gun spoiler[as member of LC at the beginning]. They only know it because Klein told them. Asuna may recognized something, but even she wasn't sure. The other female characters were not high level enough.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:40 am Reply with quote
This game seems to be a different universe/game alltogether, how come Kirito's band can watch it? Would they not need to log into it or something, or is it so easy to just transfer their accounts to it? Even Kirito has a different 'avatar', but the whole group look exactly the same.
They probably explained it somewhere, but I missed it.

That was a nice cliffhanger at the end.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:50 am Reply with quote
Unicorn_Blade wrote:
This game seems to be a different universe/game alltogether, how come Kirito's band can watch it? Would they not need to log into it or something, or is it so easy to just transfer their accounts to it? Even Kirito has a different 'avatar', but the whole group look exactly the same.
They probably explained it somewhere, but I missed it.

A lot of the game worlds seem interchangeable. Kirito was able to move stats over from one game to another, the games are also all based off of "the seed". I would say that the feed for the competition would be streamed online, and it is just a lot simpler or fun to watch it together in their virtual hangout.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:08 am Reply with quote
That episode was awesome. They should be getting progressively better too over the next month.

Death Gun is a sick, sick bastard.

FYI, if anyone is sick of PTSD discussion in this thread LNspoiler[I advise not watching the next few episodes, because it's going to get cranked up a notch or twenty.]
Lain'sHairline

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:00 am Reply with quote
Sinon's butthole got so tight at the end. Delicious.

So far she's had an overarching attitude coming off like nobody can beat her at GGO or even catch her off guard minus Kirito, total denial of the situation.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
A lot of the game worlds seem interchangeable. Kirito was able to move stats over from one game to another, the games are also all based off of "the seed". I would say that the feed for the competition would be streamed online, and it is just a lot simpler or fun to watch it together in their virtual hangout.

Yeah. The gang are all in ALO, in Kirito and Asuna's apartment in the main city. They can watch the GGO tournament because various streaming video is available through the shared interface. To use modern gaming, you know how you can get an Occulus Rift and play an app that plays movies on it as if on a virtual movie screen? Well imagine there was an MMO you could play using the Rift, and then you had in player housing TV screens, and you could set those screens to display Twitch streams. Same thing basically.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Good ep!

.........I don't really have much else to say....;it's nice to see those two working together?

Sinon has established herself as 'tsundere'.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:38 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Good ep!

.........I don't really have much else to say....;it's nice to see those two working together?

Sinon has established herself as 'tsundere'.

Yes and no...Sinon isn't cold and distant for the typical reasons. She's mentally damaged and genuinely afraid of too much human contact because she's not comfortable in her own skin.

Likewise, Sinon really doesn't show real romantic interest in Kirito, or anyone else for that matter. She's essentially similar to vagabond Kirito in SAO after his association with the Black Cats and prior to his relationship with Asuna. She's in a very dark place and looking for a way out.

Sinon's interest in Kirito is more self-serving than anything. She's in this game because she's desperately holding on to the belief that if she can win this game, then she will be strong enough to overcome her PTSD (hence why she got enraged when Kirito didn't want to fight her). In Kirito she sees a fellow strong player that's "damaged" like she is, and she wants to understand how he copes.

I'd say that Sinon is probably more similar to Kirito than anyone else in the series, which makes for a solid friendship but not really romantic sparks. They don't really compliment each other as much as they duplicate each other.

I suppose that's why Sinon is my favorite character....her mental baggage usually doesn't allow her to really show how strong she is. She's really only playing the game as a means to an end instead of the thrill of competition, but when she's locked in, she's extremely good. Definitely more of a natural fighter than any of the other girls.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:14 am Reply with quote
Bugnin wrote:
Likewise, Sinon really doesn't show real romantic interest in Kirito, or anyone else for that matter.

Seems to me she has already started to react to Kirito. Girls like to fall in love with guys who are doing something interesting and who aren't actively pursuing them for sex or romance. Like all the other guys in that game. And it doesn't hurt that Kirito is in a girl-like avatar and hence non-threatening.

It will only be worse when she ends up sitting on a moss-bank with the other girls watching Kirito and Asuna canoodling on top of a mushroom. But Sinon doesn't know about that yet and for now the story is is developing her personality type with at least four digits of precision.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:05 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

Seems to me she has already started to react to Kirito.

Hard to tell, really. She doesn't blush around him much. The two times she did were times of an embarrassed blush over "I'm attracted to you" blush.

The reason I called her tsundere is because of things like checking for Kirito's avatar and then going "I don't care about that jerk!" Anime hyper and "I'm only helping you THIS time!"

Those are tsun lines...though I guess charas can say tsun lines without being the tsundere type....

I can't believe I'm saying this but....if Kirito didn't have Asuna, I might be inclined to ship him with Sinon a little. I like their interaction. Out of the girls who lost, Sinon's the most interesting.
Just my opinion.

Yet I absolutely want them to remain friends. If they are friends yet. Anime hyper Kirito probably already considers her a friend....don't know if that's mutual. lol
Key

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:15 am Reply with quote
Oh, I would very much like to see Sinon wind up being strictly mutually platonic friends with Kirito once everything is said and done. Would be a refreshing change of pace as well as just feeling right.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:23 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

It will only be worse when she ends up sitting on a moss-bank with the other girls watching Kirito and Asuna canoodling on top of a mushroom. But Sinon doesn't know about that yet and for now the story is is developing her personality type with at least four digits of precision.

If this were to happen it would be an utter disaster for her character (and for the show). It's not surprising at all that one would consider the possibility given that Kawahara has relegated all of the other female characters to that harem role, but I doubt he would make that mistake again given that he seems to be aware of how stupid it is now.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Oh, I would very much like to see Sinon wind up being strictly mutually platonic friends with Kirito once everything is said and done. Would be a refreshing change of pace as well as just feeling right.
exactly. They don't interact like that. It's just assumed they'll end up that way because it's a common anime trope.

They make a hell of a duo, though. In a different timeline Sinon could have been the hero of SAO.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Right....but we don't know if she's skilled with a sword. :'D

I wonder if she could shift to archery; they both involve shooting something. Laughing

I hope when this all ends, they'll stay friends and she'll join ALO. She needs more friends who can help her relax and have fun...and once you get sucked into a game, you're inclined to try out more....

"I'll just shoot him and forget about him after this..."

GURL, WHO ARE YOU KIDDING!! Rolling Eyes

If they go completely separate ways, I'd be sad. Sad I don't want her to join the harem...but she could join the party....(yes, of course there's a difference!)

Quote:
They make a hell of a duo, though.

They do....that's probably why I'm slightly attracted to the idea of them being together.

Last edited by Chiibi on Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 37 of 115