• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yen Press' Light Novel Imprint Adds Log Horizon, No Game No Life, Devil is a Part-timer!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:19 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:

I know its their work and they have the right to do what they want, but I would flip the argument, and force any publisher that cancels a series to buyback any previous volumes of a work. Simple as that. You start collecting manga under the assumption you will have the whole work. You can't have it both ways, you want people to buy the product, but then you only release as much of it as you want.

Then no business would want to risk starting any long series. There's no point in continually sinking money into if what turns out to be a losing venture. The company would be out of business before getting to the end, so the series still not gonna get finished.

Dessa wrote:

Dfens wrote:
I'd gladly pay more if official English light novels could be done quicker but I hate the long wait.

It's less that they can't be done faster, and more that it hurts the sales and industry as a whole if they're released closer together. It always gets asked at industry panels at Sakura-Con, and multiple companies have explained why closer releases hurt in the long run (I just can't remember the really good explanation at the moment).

Also, if there are more people buying books, then they can afford to hire more workers to get the books out faster. But without enough money coming in, they won't have the money to get things done faster. They need more time to wait for enough books to sell before there's enough money to pay the costs for the next one. (Unlike videos, books are one thing that's helped by their presence with increased foot traffic in stores since customers can "quickly" sample them on the spot.)

Blanchimont wrote:

If it was Viz or Del Rey, I'd have waited until the whole thing was out. I don't trust either of those two, especially with things like long-running light novel series...

It becomes a Catch-22.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5