• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 6 Series Starring Aspiring Mangaka

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:12 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I have to say that Bakuman and Nozaki-kun have been giving out diametrically opposed views of the lives of high-school manga-ka. The former makes it sound like a miracle, and even then only attained through super talent, insane work ethic and the support of experienced professionals, while the latter suggests it's a nearly stress-free, after-school gig, with little to no talent required - just a bit of (unpaid?) help from your artistically inclined friends. Smile

And then there's the difference between the monthly shoujo and weekly shounen. Or is there no difference?

And there's the fact that one seems to be innately talented enough to write, plot, draw and ink his own shoujo romance comic while the other artist duo not only have to force everything, they have no idea what genre of shounen they want to do in the first place.

Bakuman drove me nuts; "What kind of story do you want to tell?" "One that's successful enough to get made into an anime." "No, that's product, what kind of story do you want to create." "Something that's easy for us to do. And Death Note's already been done so we can't do that." I tried to latch onto to anything other than the nonstory they were trying to sell and I stuck with it through their third successful failure. Or second.

What was interesting to me was that guy who did the Otters manga. He did that rather than work only to find it another kind of work and equally distasteful. But no matter how they tried to paint him, he was ore impressive than they were. Still, is it reading too much into Bakuman that the duo of the story are talented hacks up against actual artists are not only avatars of the writer and artist but how they view the world and how they want the world to view them? "WSJ is the only manga publication that matters!" "Fan service is the basest form of pandering!" "We are every bit as good as the real creative people here! They compete against us! They wish they were as good as us!"
SnaphappyFMA

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:44 am Reply with quote
I'm fascinated by the manga industry (and anime industry) in Japan, and always watch animes that have the industry as their setting.

And Bakuman... someone please rescue that series on DVD/Blu-ray and let us buy it!!
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:50 am Reply with quote
Thanks to Mike Toole's (or was it Daryl Surat's?) comments in a recent ANNcast, I've been watching the Aoi Honoo/Blue Blazes live-action drama, and I'm loving it. It's all very exaggerated, but it's a really entertaining portrayal of what it was like to be an aspiring manga author in the early '80s. I hope it drums up interest in licensing or at least scanlating the manga.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:51 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
No Genshiken?

even i am wondering about that. and how in heck is haruhi isnt on the poll?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sepherest

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:11 pm Reply with quote
No mention of Aoi Honō or Even a Monkey Can Draw Manga? Confused
I think this list should've been a little bigger than six.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:41 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
configspace wrote:
No Genshiken?

even i am wondering about that. and how in heck is haruhi isnt on the poll?

Sepherest wrote:
No mention of Aoi Honō or Even a Monkey Can Draw Manga? Confused
I think this list should've been a little bigger than six.

While the topic of this list relates to manga pop culture, it's was specifically focusing on stories that were about characters working/participating in the manga/doujinshi industry. Genshiken isn't a story that directly focuses on making manga nor doujinshi (one person here mention that the manga industry was only a side plot of the story). The focus on Genshiken was on otaku life, which while it would include/relate to the manga and doujinshi industry they would just only be components of otaku life.

Now both "Aoi Honō" and "Even a Monkey Can Draw Manga?" however would be good additional choices to add to this list since the topics of both stories do in fact relate to creating manga. In the case of the latter book perhaps what kept it from being listed was that it wasn't either a manga nor an anime. Either that or perhaps Lynzee never even heard of the book. The same can be said for Aoi Honō in that she might not have heard of this manga as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Aquasakura wrote:
Either that or perhaps Lynzee never even heard of the book. The same can be said for Aoi Honō in that she might not have heard of this manga as well.

Quote:
The dream of being a manga artist is a common one in the anime fandom. ... Every once and awhile, an anime series will set its focus on the manga industry and offer a few hints of what it's really like. *list start*

Well, the list is anime series, not manga or books. If neither of those had an anime, then they wouldn't be on the list whether she knew about them or not. (that's not to say they wouldn't be good reading for anyone interested in the subject)
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:13 am Reply with quote
I see your point. I mention it was possible for those two books to be on the list because most of the anime feature were adaptation of manga.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
jcaliff

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:09 am Reply with quote
Possibly the saddest portrayal of a manga artist in anime I can think of is in Ojarumaru. I can't remember the character's name off the top of my head, but I do remember that she lived in abject poverty, reusing tea bags and then hanging them up to dry. It's especially sad when you consider that the manga author who created Ojarumaru killed herself a few years later.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sydney2K

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:48 am Reply with quote
So, no The Comic Artist and His Assistant (Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to)?

Widya Santoso
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2