• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dark Horse Licenses Fate/Zero Manga by Shinjirō

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:44 am Reply with quote
Does Dark Horse even have a history with censorship? If this were Viz we were talking about, you'd definitely have a third leg to stand on, but unless there's something I don't know, I'd hold off on the doom and gloom.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
I'm not sure why everyone is hung up on this supposed censorship. They published Hellsing. They publish Lone Wolf and Cub. And, on the American side, they publish ElfQuest, and in a book they recently published, there was an orgy. All of this is uncensored. F/Z will be no different.

I'm not familiar with ElfQuest, but the big difference between F/Z and most other things is that the scenes of concern involve children. I'm not aware of any other series that has anything like what Ryuunosuke does to the kids he collects. Normally I laugh off people worried about censorship, but America isn't nearly as okay with this kind of graphic violence with kids as they are with adults so it's something a publisher might be much more reluctant to take a risk with. Adding nudity to mix just makes it worse, though I guess the one you actually see naked looks at least closer to being a teenager than the ~8 year olds he's so fond of.

Anyway here's the scenes I'm talking about.

Quote:
Does Dark Horse even have a history with censorship? If this were Viz we were talking about, you'd definitely have a third leg to stand on, but unless there's something I don't know, I'd hold off on the doom and gloom.

They have a bit of a history, but it's from quite some time ago. Narutaru is the big one, where they removed like a dozen pages from a volume and then just didn't release the last few volumes at all due to the content. I know they censored one or two other things... Canon God Exxaxion, I think? And they did some dialogue changes in Gunsmith Cats relating to a character's age, not sure if they changed any visual content in the original release. That was a different era though, so it's not indicative of their current approach. And unlike Narutaru, they should already know about the content in this series.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:22 am Reply with quote
Oneeyedjacks wrote:
I'm 99% sure that Dark Horse is going to have to censor those rape scenes with Sakura and the dick worms, which I will not link to. (Do NOT look it up if you're squeamish!)

i think not. this is dark horse comics were talking about so i might have them.HOWEVER it will definitely depend on the conditions of getting it licensed.

if the author and the original licensor give DH the rains to do whatever it wants (which at times is really high), then the odds are high that DH will edit them out to prevent it from getting the dreaded M rating. but if they told them to have the US release not edited at all which was the case when they licensed Shiro's ghost in the shell series, then it will be there in all its glory.

Dessa wrote:
SoaringFalcon wrote:
I'm more interested in the original light novel from Gen Urobuchi which the anime was adapted all these manga adaptations aren't really necessary if you have the light novel, but i hope Yen Press at least licences and translates the the light novels there only 4 volumes at least one can hope Smile

Urobuchi has said that he's not comfortable with the F/Z novels being released here until the F/sn VN is released first.

Also, for anyone worried about "censorship" with DH titles... they're putting out ElfQuest, uncensored, which gets pretty dark and gory as well.

and unfortunately the odds of the fate stay night VN being released here is slim to none. no company not even DH would touch that unless there is a shitload of censorsing for the VN. so the idea of the fate zero VN being released too is a real pipe dream.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:32 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
and unfortunately the odds of the fate stay night VN being released here is slim to none. no company not even DH would touch that unless there is a shitload of censorsing for the VN. so the idea of the fate zero VN being released too is a real pipe dream.

1) Dark Horse doesn't release VNs.
2) There are a number of companies releasing VN in the US, including eroge VN
3) Fate/Zero are novels, not a VN.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:03 pm Reply with quote
i know all of that . i was making my point to the other poster. its as i said. the odds of them being released in the US is very slim to none. especially when it comes to the fate series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2