• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Vertical licensing Poll

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:09 pm Reply with quote
ElectroJane wrote:
I have been attempting to buy Vertical titles through B&M chains, but it's not always so easy. Sometimes titles don't show up until weeks after the release date, if at all, at my local BAM and BN. (Utsubora and Helter Skelter never appeared; Pink finally showed up, but well after the release date, and well after I gave up and ordered it online. Things like Wolfsmund and Tropic of the Sea showed up fine though.) But if preordering them is the next best thing, I will give that a shot.

Yeah, it is tricky. Shelving is based on demand. And now more than ever regional, even store-by-store, shelving is being done by statistics. So you literally have to buy stuff in your favorite store at a regular basis to prove to them that there is demand. As noted in other of these entries you can preorder books or simply order books that are not in-stock at your local B&N. They will almost always fulfill such orders. And that is more reliable than doing so at a comic shop.

BN.com or BAM.com are good alternatives. (BAM is an account we want to see grow. No offense to TRSI but they have overtaken BAM as our number 4 vendor. Not a good sign for BAM or manga readers in BAM neighborhoods.)
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:25 am Reply with quote
Alrighty. Waterstones it will be for all my Vertical books in future.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:29 pm Reply with quote
^^^ I will do the same - I think I might start buying more in general from Waterstones.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:38 am Reply with quote
The three titles I requested are:
Tomodachi 100-nin Dekiru kana (I Wonder If I Can Make 100 Friends) by Minoru Toyoda ~ I enjoyed Toyoda's Love Roma, and this one has a sci fi angle! Humor and sci fi sound good to me!

Akatsuki no Bremen by Tomomi Yamashita~ All I know about it is that it's josei, one volume, has something to do with (classical) music, and it's the only manga Yamashita has wrote recently that's not published by Akita Shoten. I love, love, love her Apothecarius Argentum, and I just really want to read another manga she's written!

Life Is Dead by Koizumi Tomohiro ~ Jason Thompson recommended this in his article about zombie manga. It's only one volume and it sounds really interesting.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Most in that article sounded rally interesting. I would like to see Nagi no Asukara or Anohana mangas released in English (this is due to my personal bias).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Nagi no Asukara has a manga? I thought it was an original show?
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:06 pm Reply with quote
I was surprised too, June last year apparently, there are 2 volumes so far and is on going.
Faiga_Raisa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Nagi no Asukara is an original show. Manga that starts only a few months before an anime airs is for promotional purposes. Because anime production starts 8-12 months before the first episode actually airs.

You can't honestly expect they sorted out legal paperwork and animated a show in only 4 months.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:58 pm Reply with quote
... I know in general how it works and I wasn't stating that it anime wasn't original but thats the date wiki gave me - I'm not expecting anything and the dates maybe incorrect which is fair enough but I don't see the problem with it being licensed at a future date.
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:36 am Reply with quote
I dunno if it has anything to do with me, but my local B&N which I pre-ordered my What Did You Eat Yesterday? at now has two copies on their regular shelves! Hooray! I also pre-ordered 2 and 3 while I was there. And yes, it's more Yoshinaga goodness! I am so very very pleased! I'll admit that while early Tezuka works can be pretty average to bad (like Lost World, ewww), all the Yoshinaga is good Yoshinaga, damn do I adore her works! I've never lined up for an autograph at Otakon before, but if she were there, I'd be in her line in a heartbeat! I'd probably get my Flower of Life 4 signed, because it's my favorite of her series and it'd only make that volume rarer, heh. I know you said "no license rescues", but the old Blu Yoshinaga books, any chance on considering those if What Did You Eat Yesterday goes well? I'd totally double dip.
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:17 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
I dunno if it has anything to do with me, but my local B&N which I pre-ordered my What Did You Eat Yesterday? at now has two copies on their regular shelves! Hooray! I also pre-ordered 2 and 3 while I was there.

Very likely. As we have stated...Order books in the store and the store may be motivated to stock more and stock future volumes of that series. It is simple "demand & supply".

Quote:
I know you said "no license rescues", but the old Blu Yoshinaga books, any chance on considering those if What Did You Eat Yesterday goes well? I'd totally double dip.

At this time, I would say that'd be very unlikely. We do not publish hentai or BL. But who knows, if EAT is all of a sudden the next Titan, I'm sure my bosses in Japan will be aggressively looking for more from her.
stove top stuffing

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:58 pm Reply with quote
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/VerticalFall2014

Fall survey is live.

Once again I am going to ask for Mysterious Girlfriend X.

Yes it's a long shot but I have to do it. I also know it's on crunchyroll but that does me no good. Physical manga or nothing.

Please Ed, if it doesn't make sense for Vertical at least try and con Kodansha in to it. =)
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:34 am Reply with quote
I don't see these titles getting licensed but I submitted:
Cradle of Monsters
One Week Friends
Kami-sama Ga USO O Tsuku
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun. The anime is excellent, Vertical has no issues with the publisher, it started in 2011, and it's only 5 voiumes long so far. Vertical isn't a big fan of 4koma, but as far as I know they never said that they wouldn't consider publishing it. I think it would be a good title for them.
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for posting the link to the survey guys.

It should be up through the following Monday (or so).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 21 of 24