• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Accounts for 26% of Top 100 Wikipedia Searches

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iritscen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:01 am Reply with quote
Well, it's nice to see that Wikipedia has so many readers interested in informing themselves about the nations of the world and the way our political system works and the cultures of other peoples and the arts and sciences, and... oh, wait.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:23 am Reply with quote
Iritscen wrote:
Well, it's nice to see that Wikipedia has so many readers interested in informing themselves about the nations of the world and the way our political system works and the cultures of other peoples and the arts and sciences, and... oh, wait.

Laughing

Anime is pretty much all I use Wikipedia for, but I never expected roughly a quarter of Wiki searches to be anime related. Then again you can get some pretty good information from Wikipedia in regards to anime. Of course you always have to take Wikipedia with a grain of salt, but still.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Iritscen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:03 am Reply with quote
I don't think I've ever looked up an anime in WP. I would use our ANN Encyclopedia before I'd read what some schmuck on Wikipedia wrote.
Brand

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Sometimes wikipedia is pretty useful. I find it handy when I read American comics and you run into characters who I don't know who they are. Quick wiki look up and I can get some quick background info.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
aluria

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Well I know that I make quite the contribution to that 26%. I'm always on Wiki when work gets slow. I just start doing random searches and see what I find. Can learn a lot of random facts that way.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Iritscen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:20 pm Reply with quote
brand wrote:
Sometimes wikipedia is pretty useful. I find it handy when I read American comics and you run into characters who I don't know who they are. Quick wiki look up and I can get some quick background info.

Oh yeah, I look up cartoons, comic book characters, movies, actors, etc., as well as the occasional obscure science topic. I just never use it for anime, on account of the ANN Encyc.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:48 pm Reply with quote
I have to be careful with Wikipedia, it will start with a simple search on Hi-Cap magazines and will eventually lead me to reading about the Alchemy, which leads to Count of St Germain.......which takes a few hours out of my day.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Shocked Now that's is something. I pretty much use the wiki as well to look up all kinds of stuff. If often found it interesting to see game and anime info. on it. I was impressed that fans are willing to put that much time into it.

For example, when I was looking up info. on 'Narutaru' you couldn't find much on the internet. For the bit of sites I came across it wasn't enough. Even the wiki had an entry for it but nothing more. Went back a year later and now there's more info. Meaning someone eventually took the time to fill it in. Which made me happy. There are so many entries that have been put in that have yet to be filled. But the good thing is that someone is being dedicated fill in the holes. Of older stuff is a work in progress and that takes quite a bit of research. But hell you can find all kinds of stuff relating to anime, genres, terms like (moe, tsundere, hentai, seinen, etc...) and all kinds of stuff. So it's a good thing. Wink
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I don't think I've ever looked up an anime in WP. I would use our ANN Encyclopedia before I'd read what some schmuck on Wikipedia wrote.

:begin troll
All I know is that if you try to change the word 'influential' to the correct term, 'over-rated', in the first sentence of the Neon Genesis Evangelion article it doesn't take any time at all for some schmuck to change it back. Laughing
:end troll

ANN's Encyclopedia is fantastic for concise information, but wikipedia does tend to have a lot of in-depth factual details omitted by ANN. I used it just yesterday to find release dates for Japanese DVDs for some anime movies. Naturally I checked ANN first, but the information just wasn't there.
Iritscen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:57 pm Reply with quote
MokonaModoki wrote:
All I know is that if you try to change the word 'influential' to the correct term, 'over-rated', in the first sentence of the Neon Genesis Evangelion article it doesn't take any time at all for some schmuck to change it back. Laughing
:end troll

That would be me doing the revert back to the correct word "influential". Laughing
Proman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:10 pm Reply with quote
I guess a lot of people just google the title of anime and end up on Wikipedia.

Last edited by Proman on Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total
KAtchan15

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Proman wrote:
I guess a lot of people ust google the title of anime and end up on Wikipedia.
That's true. I don't use wikipedia as much. It's cause people feed the information in, so sometimes the information given isn't reliable, or so they say.
Dorian

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Well the 26% makes alot of sense.

On November 4, 2006 Jimmy Wales, founder of Wikipedia was on Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me! on NPR.
http://www.npr.org/programs/waitwait/index.html

On the show he said that about 33% of all the articles are about anime.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6432206
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:43 pm Reply with quote
I've found that with anime Wikipedia tends to be pretty accurate. Probably because they might be more common knowledge than, say...rocket science. Anime hyper;
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Dorian wrote:
Well the 26% makes alot of sense.

On November 4, 2006 Jimmy Wales, founder of Wikipedia was on Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me! on NPR.
http://www.npr.org/programs/waitwait/index.html

On the show he said that about 33% of all the articles are about anime.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6432206

And about 90% of those were are articles about individual Pokemon :p
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2