• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
なかの☆陽: You Nakano/Yoo Nakano?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:23 am Reply with quote
So, this came about because I didn't know what the hell to do with 絵コンテ:なかの☆陽

The storyboarder for episode 15 of Ippo Rising has a star in his(?) name.

One thing that seems pretty certain is that this is their twitter. It is quite clearly romanized as Yoo Nakano. But we have all their credits in You Nakano, I suspect that the page was created for the actor and later co-opted for the storyboarder. So I'm thinking we need a Yoo.

Anyway, my question kind of remains: What do I do with the star in the name? It won't go in the kanji field anyway, enter it as other? There are various star characters (★ ☆ probably more), if somebody searches for solid star, will outline star show up?
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:10 am Reply with quote
Can we treat it as an alias? Have the no-star version as the "main" name, and the with-star version as an alias, so both link to the same page?
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Yoo is just an alternative romanization of よう (Yō). An annoying one in my eyes (I have a Japanese book somewhere that insists on that scheme). I'm hoping there will be an update to the encyclopedia at some point that allows both a standardised romanisation while also accommodating your Range Muratas, Leiji Matsumotos, Shirow Masamunes and Lay Mutsukis of this world.

We've kept the ♥ in ぽよよん♥ろっく but then there's Satoshi Yamazaki was credited variously on Kiddy Grade as ザッキー・山崎", "ザッキー☆山崎" and "ザッキー♥山崎" etc..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:07 pm Reply with quote
In the case of なかの☆陽 it's quite simple. なかの as family name and 陽 as given name. The ☆ just disappears into the ether as an irrelevant separator Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1