• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Nobunaga Concerto

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SHODAN93

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Against the review's credit, this show is a personal favorite of the season. for everyone else who hasn't watched it, give it a chance, and you'll be pleasantly surprised.
meepsheeps

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm one of the people that don't know anything about Japanese history but I completely enjoy and love this show. xD It's not necessary to study your butt off to enjoy some nice historical anime.
xyz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:34 pm Reply with quote
laureninspace wrote:

I wanted to say something about how this show is probably doing better in Japan because the names are common knowledge there, but I later removed it because as it turns out, this show is doing very poorly in Japan, too. Now I want to find out why, because I'm 100% sure it has nothing to do with recognizing the history.

I love this show but I don't feel that it would be popular not because the story isn't good. I actually think this is the best of the season. It has a different visual style that doesn't seem to be appealing to the masses (but is very appealing to me.) No moe. No fanservice. Most fans would just take a glance and feels that it looks weird then drop it or don't even bother watching.
sunflower

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:23 pm Reply with quote
This seems to be a show with a small intense group of fans who love the idea and style of it, and a large group that hates it. So it could be the same in Japan and have little to do with how much of the culture and history you know, and more with how much you're likely to enjoy the fantasy basis for the story.
gerbilx

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:31 pm Reply with quote
I don't know any of the history, but the thrust of the show is very entertaining. I don't see the details as overtly important. He wins some, he loses some.
asckj1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:12 am Reply with quote
Quote:
star-studded voice acting and a gorgeous musical score.
<----- totally !! Other than that loving each moment of the show.

As the reviewer said, even though each character and incident hasn't be explained in detailed by animating, its still extremely engaging to watch. Probably even if you know very little of the era you just need to pay really minute attention to all the narration + scenes to join the dots fairly smoothly.

hmmm... is it really necessary to have a review of every single ep? Because I personally think that for series which are like a continuous story rather than being one story per ep, passing a judgement on each ep and rating it seems sort of useless.
sunflower

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:51 am Reply with quote
asckj1 wrote:
hmmm... is it really necessary to have a review of every single ep? Because I personally think that for series which are like a continuous story rather than being one story per ep, passing a judgement on each ep and rating it seems sort of useless.

I have to agree, though maybe not for the same reason. I'm finding it overwhelming to keep up with. It's a lot of content to have to read for every episode of anime I watch, and a bit much per episode. I do think the grade for each episode is a little ridiculous, but that's just me. Anyway, I'm finding I'm reading fewer of these as the season goes.

And it's also kind of annoying because I am rarely able to see an anime episode the day it airs or close to, and I scroll through the main page here and see brief summaries of episode reviews that I really don't want in my head when I go into an episode. I'd prefer that they say nothing but the title of the anime and the episode number. If I want their opinions, I'll click on the link.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:12 pm Reply with quote
It's really a shame that this isn't more episodes. Episode 9 really did feel rushed to me, like someone looked at the calendar and said, OMG, we only have 3 more episodes to cram all this in!

Even so, I'm still getting the sense that the gravity of all this is finally starting to sink in for Saburo. It seems like after this many years he shouldn't still be acting like a slacker teenager, and maybe they're about to try to mature him a bit. It's certainly overdue, because his unchanged personality is one of the things that make it seem like little time has passed (that and he hasn't aged a day physically either).
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:26 pm Reply with quote
I definitely agree it wasn't a good episode as a finale, but otherwise it was really great, so I find the D grade highly unjustified. It had a lot of character development, especially for the two Nobunagas and as a regular episode, it was mighty well-written.

As a side note, I really liked the scene of thespoiler[ burning down of Enryaku-ji with the monk saying Nobunaga is the "Demon King of the Sixth Heaven" and Mitsuhide's "I'll take that name". It was a definite step up for Mitsuhide and showing how convinced he's become of Saburo's quest for conquest]. I also liked the scene because I climbed Hieizan in June and visited most of the temples up there, and all of them had the "This building was burnt down by Nobunaga" note in their panphlets (the reconstructions are still beautiful though), so for me it was kind of special to watch that historical event in animation and being able to recognize some of the buildings. Although as a historian I have a natural gut reaction of disgust when I see historical places or documents being burnt down, even in fiction, but I think it was handled with a lot of artistry.

Still befuddled by the 10 episode count. It's sad because the chances of this getting a second season are wildly non-existant, and I was really interested in seeing how they would handle the Honnouji incident. Guess I'll have to read the manga
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Er... You DO understand that manga is still ongoing, right? It's impossible to demand answers when the story is still not finished. Or have you hoped for a filler ending that closes the entire story and killes any chances of the sequel?
WhoCares

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:00 pm Reply with quote
I really don't see how anyone would need to know the history to understand the story, it's pretty straight forward for me, who only knows of the relationship between Nobunaga and Mitsuhide and their fates.

laureninspace wrote:

I wanted to say something about how this show is probably doing better in Japan because the names are common knowledge there, but I later removed it because as it turns out, this show is doing very poorly in Japan, too. Now I want to find out why, because I'm 100% sure it has nothing to do with recognizing the history.

Because it's rotoscope CG. The style scared everyone off with ep1, which is a shame, it's definitely my favourite of the 14 shows I'm watching from this season.
meepsheeps

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Yeah D is so unjustified. I'll just cast that as hate Wink Kidding, but seriously, great series overall even with the lackluster ending. The main problem was that it didn't have more episodes to shine.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:40 pm Reply with quote
WhoCares wrote:
Because it's rotoscope CG. The style scared everyone off with ep1, which is a shame, it's definitely my favourite of the 14 shows I'm watching from this season.

That may be partly true, and probably a major problem for western viewers at least, but Kingdom was really crappy CG too (without the rotoscoping to provide any fluidity that Nobunaga managed in some of its scenes), often looking like an amateur MMD video, and yet it was popular enough (in Japan) to get 77 episodes. Also it was another historical series, so even the genre doesn't explain it.
iatheia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Definitely agree that as brilliant of a series it was, the ending is terribly lackluster. I guess there is only so much that could be expected from a still ongoing manga, but I have hoped that they would bring in more of a sense of the closure than this. It truly is a shame, though, that there is so little interest in this series, because as is it is rather doubtful anyone will license it =(

Speaking of manga, reading the first volume it is amazing how different it is from the anime in terms of the pacing and the amount of details they go into in terms of stringing together a more coherent narrative. I definitely want to read more of it.

I guess live action series will air next month, so we'll see how that turns out.
WhoCares

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:25 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
WhoCares wrote:

That may be partly true, and probably a major problem for western viewers at least, but Kingdom was really crappy CG too (without the rotoscoping to provide any fluidity that Nobunaga managed in some of its scenes), often looking like an amateur MMD video, and yet it was popular enough (in Japan) to get 77 episodes. Also it was another historical series, so even the genre doesn't explain it.

You can't compare a show that aired at 2am on Fuji with one that aired at 7pm on NHK, the audience is different. And I believe the note on popularity is based on the more dedicated anime fans (ones who would stay up late to watch anime, and discuss about it on anime boards), which the Kingdom anime also isn't popular with.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3