• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ARGEVOLLEN (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
They took a character we barely know (Reika) and by the end of the 23-ish minutes I was fully invested in her story.

A component of overlooking some of the "usual stupidity" is that Argevollen (at least for my tastes) creates characters that are intriguing enough to have at least some investment, even if there fate is a foregone conclusion.
spoiler[Hell, I was expecting Reika to look akin to a bloody smear from Tokyo Ghoul but for dramatic purposes they chose a dramatic death scene for her final moments, pretty much sealing the premise that at least for a short while she and Samonji were "close enough" on a personal level.]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Another scene from episode 12 I loved was when Samonji and Saori arrived at the base, the command mecha spoiler[was "hiding" behind a building, just peeking out with its head and a hand visible.] It was a great way to introduce Reika in the episode.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Another scene from episode 12 I loved was when Samonji and Saori arrived at the base, the command mecha spoiler[was "hiding" behind a building, just peeking out with its head and a hand visible.] It was a great way to introduce Reika in the episode.

command mecha: "I hope senpai notices me."
empire170

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:54 am Reply with quote
Where is episode 13? It's been three days already. Shocked
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:32 am Reply with quote
empire170 wrote:
Where is episode 13? It's been three days already. Shocked

It's on break this week.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Episode 13

Another strong episode. I still have no clear idea where the armed conflict is going, but the characters are what I enjoy the most about this anime. And I like that the new character is being voiced by Maaya Uchida and her adorable voice.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:55 pm Reply with quote
That new girl reminds me a little of Chelsea from AkG. I think it's probably because of the spoiler[lollipops].
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:45 am Reply with quote
Good to see this show back after its one week hiatus. I was glad to see that spoiler[Namie survived the eppie - she was reeking of death flag and even though she's still alive now, I'm not sure I like her chances of making it to the end.] Hope I'm wrong, though.

Better step up your game, Jamie, or somebody's gonna be eating your lunch. Wink
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:51 am Reply with quote
Episode 13

Stepping aside my past hatred of the series, this was actually a good episode, the main character is starting to feel tolerable.

Something I really want in this series, it is for Tokimune to actually not get with Jamie. Personally I have found that there is no romantic chemistry between them, unlike every other series like this the characters have seemed pretty okay not to get all embarrassed and bring romance into it just because they are forced together and around the same age. With him and Namie though, he seems to act entirely different, he is open with her, worries, and his synching increases. Please, pleas, please don't go the cliché path of the leads having to be together because. Namie has not even shown any open jealousy, it would be so easy to take her looks just to be her feeling happy for him.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:01 am Reply with quote
I don't see why Our Hero has to choose. Get 'em both, sez I!
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:02 am Reply with quote
Cute transfer student, military style. Very Happy
phia_one

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:11 pm Reply with quote
I just caught up and wow, episode 12 made me go from feeling "meh" about the series to "I must see more!" 13 was a great episode as well.

DuskyPredator wrote:
Something I really want in this series, it is for Tokimune to actually not get with Jamie. Personally I have found that there is no romantic chemistry between them, unlike every other series like this the characters have seemed pretty okay not to get all embarrassed and bring romance into it just because they are forced together and around the same age.

I'm in total agreement with this. It's annoying how much the show brings attention to it with all the other characters' comments.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:31 pm Reply with quote
A {supposedly sarcastic} statement from Dusky Predator about the "bad mech" series as opposed to AD0 got me watching Argevollen; I'm at four episodes in and I'm liking what I see {generic? It's war, kind of a "insert name here" type too. They're common for a reason} unlike that other series where the main character started at Perfect and could only improve.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
I'm at four episodes in and I'm liking what I see

Episode 6, Run Jamie Run is the one that put me solidly into the like category.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
A {supposedly sarcastic} statement from Dusky Predator about the "bad mech" series as opposed to AD0 got me watching Argevollen; I'm at four episodes in and I'm liking what I see {generic? It's war, kind of a "insert name here" type too. They're common for a reason} unlike that other series where the main character started at Perfect and could only improve.

But his actions are dumb to the point that it is a miracle he even got his position. Military decisions are terrible, they are unprofessional, and the chain of command is a mess. Episodes are filled with unnatural pauses between dialogue to fill time and avoids animating talking scenes more than usual. There is very little reason to actually believe there is romance between the leads, yet the show kind of acts like it does. Although if it does the right thing this might work.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 12