• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Looking for this rare anime (legally).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mizu.usagi1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:01 pm Reply with quote
I am looking for a legal way to watch nangoku shounen papuwa-kun from 1992, not 2003. I own all of the DVDs from the 2003 series and know that they didn't release the 1992 series in America. Does anyone know where I can find this?
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Looks like they're re-releasing it in Japan fairly soon:

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/BFTD-108
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/BFTD-109

Better have ~$500 and a DVD player that can play Region 2 discs, though.
mizu.usagi1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:08 pm Reply with quote
D: That's insane!! I have been looking for years online, hopefully there will be people who find this and make it popular in the US and dub it (that would make the DVDs cheaper)

I may actually have a region free DVD player and I know a lot of Japanese, just getting that kind of money is insane.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:03 pm Reply with quote
mizu.usagi1 wrote:
hopefully there will be people who find this and make it popular in the US and dub it (that would make the DVDs cheaper
I wouldn't count on that ever happening. It doesn't seem like the 2003 sequel sold very well, since all of the volumes and the collection are still available on Rightstuf, and only one (Vol. 6) even has a counter. The '92 series, in addition to being old and "weird" without any nostalgia value in the US fanbase, is also being weighed down by being low-res and 4:3. In this economic climate, with fans demanding that everything be new and shiny, it's doubtful any company would even license a show like this, let alone take the risk of dubbing it. Sorry Sad
mizu.usagi1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
mizu.usagi1 wrote:
hopefully there will be people who find this and make it popular in the US and dub it (that would make the DVDs cheaper
I wouldn't count on that ever happening. It doesn't seem like the 2003 sequel sold very well, since all of the volumes and the collection are still available on Rightstuf, and only one (Vol. 6) even has a counter. The '92 series, in addition to being old and "weird" without any nostalgia value in the US fanbase, is also being weighed down by being low-res and 4:3. In this economic climate, with fans demanding that everything be new and shiny, it's doubtful any company would even license a show like this, let alone take the risk of dubbing it. Sorry Sad

Thanks for the info D: If I was able to afford it, I would. I will keep searching for some kind of raw or fan sub online. Thanks
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1