• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hatsune Miku to Sing on The Late Show with David Letterman

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
victor viper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:15 pm Reply with quote
This is huge. How often does anything even remotely anime-related get a chance to appear before a mass audience?

I wonder what Miku will perform. Will we get English Miku, or will the producers just throw caution to the wind and give us Japanese Miku? Odds and Ends live on Letterman would be pretty awesome. Or, maybe Last Night, Good Night? It got the attention of Pharrell Williams after all. Heck, maybe she'll sing PoPiPo.*

*---will never happen.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:26 pm Reply with quote
victor viper, another instance was 5 years when Bang Zoom was featured
on Conan O'Brien.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:30 pm Reply with quote
victor viper wrote:
This is huge. How often does anything even remotely anime-related get a chance to appear before a mass audience?

You do realize this performance is going to get booed out of the building, right?
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:35 pm Reply with quote
'll be going to NYCC the following morning.
Darstorm-Sandude

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:16 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
I guess since Letterman's retiring soon, he's more willing to throw in oddball acts. After all, it's only going to get weirder once Colbert takes over.

Wait so the content of Late Night with Stephen Colbert is not going to be similar/same to The Colbert Report, but it's going to be American pop culture & celebrity interview focused instead of satire domestic and international news and "less pop culturish" guest interviews? If so, then fudge that shit and The Daily Show should be one hour long.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:07 am Reply with quote
^ Colbert won't be using the Colbert persona for Late Night, no, which is going to be really surreal. But I'm sure his version of the show won't be completely unlike the Report.

victor viper wrote:
I wonder what Miku will perform. Will we get English Miku, or will the producers just throw caution to the wind and give us Japanese Miku?

There's about a 90% chance it'll be the promo song for the U.S. concerts, which is in (fortunately only marginally broken) English.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:20 am Reply with quote
You don't see this often. This Hatsune Miku singing on "The Late Show with David Letterman." For years,the only reason I even tuned into that show was to see the Top Ten List. Well,having a singer who isn't real is a little odd. How is old Dave going to talk with her? She's computer generated. I guess I'll try to tune in. Who knows? Maybe he'll have giant robots,samurai,or bizarre demons in the Top Ten List.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:20 am Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
How is old Dave going to talk with her? She's computer generated.

You realize that about half of the episodes end with a musical performance of a singer/group that never gets interviewed, right?
L stole my cookie!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Kebble

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Between Jay Leno and David Letterman, the only way someone is still in the audience by the end of the show is if they're too boozed up to care or have fallen asleep. Both of those late night talk show hosts needed to retire... either literally, or euphemistically.

I listen to Japanese music, just not Miku and her synthesized Vocaloid cohorts. I don't think I can survive Letterman's monologue or the humdrum celebrity chitchat until the musical segment of the show comes on. You see, I'm sleepy just thinking about it.

But hey, I hope everything goes well.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Kebble wrote:
Between Jay Leno and David Letterman, the only way someone is still in the audience by the end of the show is if they're too boozed up to care or have fallen asleep. Both of those late night talk show hosts needed to retire... either literally, or euphemistically.

Umm... Jay Leno has retired. Jimmy Fallon is the host of the Tonight Show now, and NBC seems to have more confidence in Fallon at 11:35pm than they did Conan O'Brien. Jay Leno still has a career making online videos, but he's mostly talking about cars.

Also, David Letterman is retiring soon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Well this is going to be interesting to see. The last time Letterman had a artist from Asia on his show was Girls Generation/SNSD when they debuted in the US. So yeah I'm hoping Miku could get the same type of reception like SNSD got. Good luck to Miku. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:56 am Reply with quote
Hater's are gonna hate, but I have to agree that this could go either way. I'm hoping for good things. I trust it will be Miku's English VB they will use. I hope someone from Crypton Future Media will be there to explain it all, and it would be cool if there could be a Q & A session with Miku as well. Maybe you haters might learn that Vocaloid isn't so much as a threat as an opportunity. Wink
Sinbad96

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
This can help America to get a little more interested in anime.

I got to stop you there. Miku is not apart of the anime culture, never was, never will be. She's like the killer whale, wants to be a whale but's she is a dolphin.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Sinbad96 wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:
This can help America to get a little more interested in anime.

I got to stop you there. Miku is not apart of the anime culture, never was, never will be. She's like the killer whale, wants to be a whale but's she is a dolphin.
Miku can be whatever you want her to be. That's the whole point, and why she and all vocaloid are so popular round the world. It's about the voice, the character is secondary. Watch these to see what I'm on about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-nJABvZlO8&list=PLBcqpAtRdMdHe5Eb1R48m9aBNAGcEkIqy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqx5R22xgiM&list=PLBcqpAtRdMdHe5Eb1R48m9aBNAGcEkIqy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhmQDph5yAs&list=PLBcqpAtRdMdHe5Eb1R48m9aBNAGcEkIqy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3