• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Episode Review: Barakamon

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fam Fan Fan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:45 pm Reply with quote
I love Barakamon. It's laid back, easy to watch and has good characters and plot development. A nice change of pace from all the idol, magical girl, and hack and slash shonen series that we've been bombarded with recently.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:00 pm Reply with quote
I got into Barakamon relatively late, since I was waiting for Funi to post it on their site and then, uh, kind of forgot about it once they actually did. But I really like it. It's a nice relaxing slice-of-life of the kind that is often rare in anime, and has some interesting ideas about art that I think any creative person can chew on. I'm kind of glad that there wasn't an episode this week so I have more time to catch up.

I think it would be more relaxing if my Sunday shows weren't all slice-of-life stuff, since I'm also watching Nozaki-kun and Haikyuu!. It's weird how this season is doing that, grouping similar shows together. Like, Saturday is Mecha Day, Sunday is Slice-of-Life Day, Wednesday is Fujoshi Day, etc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Yay! Nice to finally see reviews of this series on ANN. Barakamon is definitely one of my favorites of the season. I immediately went out and bought all the manga after watching the first few episodes I'm so sad there was no episode this week.

Handa's relationship with Naru and the village people, and the village people with Handa, are just priceless. The series depicts life in Kyuushuu pretty well too, from what I hear. My former roommate and her friend are from Kyuushuu. I showed the latter the series and she was hooked right off the bat, and even finished reading all my manga before I did, LoL. She said the stuff that happens in the manga is common stuff that people from the countryside of Kyuushuu would definitely understand, and when she watched the anime, she said none of the performances sounded fake.

The voice performances in the series are amazing. The voices for all the kids are by actual kids. I listen to the radio show too and it's hilarious. Apparently Hara Suzuko, the voice of Naru, got so used to speaking in a dialect that she starts accidentally using it at school too! So cute. Anime hyper Also in the recording studio, OnoD (Handa) is very popular with the kids and they always want to play with him. They all call each other by their character names, so OnoD is called "Sensei," and Suzuko chan is called "Naru," etc.

The spin-off manga Handa kun is also hilarious too. I think I laughed more reading that than Barakamon itself. I hope it'll get animated one of these days.
Northlander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:21 pm Reply with quote
It's also streaming on Crunchy, which is where the internationals will have to go for it.
Bobduh

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Apparently Hara Suzuko, the voice of Naru, got so used to speaking in a dialect that she starts accidentally using it at school too! So cute. Anime hyper Also in the recording studio, OnoD (Handa) is very popular with the kids and they always want to play with him. They all call each other by their character names, so OnoD is called "Sensei," and Suzuko chan is called "Naru," etc.

Aw jeez, that's all so adorable. As if I needed more reasons to find this show endearing.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:55 am Reply with quote
Bobduh wrote:
Aw jeez, that's all so adorable. As if I needed more reasons to find this show endearing.

In the current issue of Animedia (the one with Kuroshitsuji on the cover), there's a little Barakamon recording studio manga in it that shows how things are in the studio. The kids are all hanging off OnoD's arms. XDDD I've mentioned it before, but OnoD also helps Suzuko chan with kanji written in the script that she hasn't yet learned.
ShinigamiBabe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:21 am Reply with quote
Greetings to all the distinguished Otaku's here;

Like you I have fallen in love with this refreshing anime, Barakamon has reminded Me of my youth, I come from a small island in the Caribbean I'm from the south and every one knows every one, and even with cultural differences is funny how I can relate. ( We took over a dilapidated bungalow on the beach till the real estate agent caught us sleeping there after hours of playing at the beach)

The characters are well balanced, the relationship between Naru and Sensei, how it develops and the changes She promotes on his troubled
mind are just too tender, You end up falling in love with Naru.

The dynamics between Sensei and the Villagers are just plain Hysterical!
Every scene is well laid out, if they could only see us (I got 2 friends hooked..Buahaha We do anime nite'o) laughing and saying there goes Naru again and the ohhhh how cute!!! and the words She comes up with The Junon Boy killed me lol...If the animators could see me they would be high fiveing and going yeahh!!(They have done an exceptional job)! because We laugh like crazy... We do have the ocasional play it again, just in case we missed anything..lol

To me this has been one of the best animes of this season and many to come the reason why is as follows:
1-You cant help falling in love with the characters 2- If you run out and buy the Manga 3- If you get your friends hooked
4-If you totally blow a gasket because they took a week off
5-If you go on line looking for merchandise..... these and many more.. feel free to add ... the reasons why you like this anime.

P.s:
@ Northlander Barakamon is not on CRUNCHYROLL, nor have I seen the Manga Spin off..... I'm a member of CR and if you know where to find it let me know..(thanks's)

The next Ep.is coming out on 9/06 on funimation.

Cordially;
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:38 am Reply with quote
ShinigamiBabe wrote:

P.s:
@ Northlander Barakamon is not on CRUNCHYROLL, nor have I seen the Manga Spin off..... I'm a member of CR and if you know where to find it let me know..(thanks's)

It is here on Crunchyroll. You're not going to be able to watch videos if it's not available in your region (the available regions are: Europe (excluding UK and Ireland), the Middle East, and North Africa). I'm in the US, and so have to go to FUNi to watch an official stream.
grooven

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:12 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed the episode. I don't think the gags are repeated they seem different each time to me. I love his over reacting, it's great. I wondered why he didn't have a girlfriend. When he explains why it makes sense.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:12 am Reply with quote
grooven wrote:
I really enjoyed the episode. I don't think the gags are repeated they seem different each time to me. I love his over reacting, it's great.

I agree. While the point they make may be the same, the way those points are expressed are different and I found them to be very funny. I literally LOLed a few times watching this episode.
endallchaos

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:39 pm Reply with quote
This is the funniest episode so far. This is probably my second favorite anime of this year, after Terror In Resonance.
Northlander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:32 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
ShinigamiBabe wrote:

P.s:

It is here on Crunchyroll. You're not going to be able to watch videos if it's not available in your region (the available regions are: Europe (excluding UK and Ireland), the Middle East, and North Africa). I'm in the US, and so have to go to FUNi to watch an official stream.

Beat me to it.... which, well, is my fault for not checking by earlier, I guess. ^^;;

And it's not available in the US? Well... I guess that sort of thing might happen too, but... yeesh.
Barbobot

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:01 pm Reply with quote
This show has been a pure joy to watch every week and I'm gonna be sad when it ends next Saturday. It was the perfect conclusion to the Saturday lineup of shows like Aldnoah, SAO and Mahouka to wind down from the more serious action those.
endallchaos

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, I don't even know which anime to put on the top of my "most relaxing anime series I've seen"...

It's between these:

Spice and Wolf
Mushishi
Barakamon
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:54 pm Reply with quote
manga is out the end of next month for those who enjoyed this and want to carry on
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2