• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Code Geass: Akito the Exiled #3 Slated For May 2015

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:48 am Reply with quote
At least there are official dates at the moment. Quite amazing how sustainable this series is despite the lengthy release schedule.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:27 am Reply with quote
no kidding. then again, it could say the same thing for gundam unicorn which also had these long ass delays too.

however for me is that who is gonna license the OVA now that Bandai is six feet under? Considering that no US companies haven't licensed any Sunrise titles especially any gundam series have me really doubt that this OVA might get licensed too even though Funi rescued the TV series when they went deep sixed into the ground.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:21 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
however for me is that who is gonna license the OVA now that Bandai is six feet under? Considering that no US companies haven't licensed any Sunrise titles especially any gundam series have me really doubt that this OVA might get licensed too even though Funi rescued the TV series when they went deep sixed into the ground.

If you are talking about Akito, Funimation already announced the license.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-08-10/funimation-adds-code-geass/akito-the-exiled-video-anime-series
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:11 am Reply with quote
About time but still such a long wait and I forgot what happened in the first 2
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:23 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
no kidding. then again, it could say the same thing for gundam unicorn which also had these long ass delays too.

I think Gundam unicorn wasvintentional , not delay. This one could be intentional too, who knows.
ZorinBlitz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Its about damn time, looks like they waited on purpose for better dates in theaters.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Wait this ova is sustanable ? R2 wasn´t the hit sunrise wanted and the the crazy delays. This was supposed to come out every 3 months ! Not that i care anymore. I don´t remember that the ova looked well or complicated enough to justify the time is is beeing worked on. Or my guess is that the funding just isn´t there. Unicord at least looked like a movie and made a lot of money. The origin will have to satisfy my mecha need,
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gal3riel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:58 pm Reply with quote
well at least now we have a date
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Interesting, I'm glad to finally hear some news about this project. I'll just have to rewatch the first two chapters early next year to get back up to speed, but that's something I'm willing to do.

To address what was posted above...I think that comparing Akito the Exiled to Gundam Unicorn is risky. Gundam is the flagship property of Sunrise and Unicorn has literally two or three whole generations of fans behind it. Evidently, they were going to give more priority and resources to Unicorn...and to the upcoming Gundam The Origin, for that matter. Every episode of Unicorn looks almost like a full length feature film while Akito simply looks like an OVA. Better than a standard TV series, but not true movie quality.

That said, the 3DCG mecha action is handled by the same people behind Majestic Prince, so I'd call it fairly impressive in that respect. I seem to recall they did mention the mecha action sequences were one of the reasons for the delays, so I'll be happy if those scenes remain at a high level after all this time.

In terms of sales, the numbers have been pretty good but not spectacular. In fact, the first two volumes have had relatively similar results (about 30,000 copies) to various Yamato 2199 releases and easily doubled Ghost in the Shell Arise last time I checked. It's within that range, all things considered, and not comparable to sales monsters like Unicorn or Rebuild of Evangelion.

Concerning the release dates, I'm not a fan of delays myself. However, I don't think that releasing an average of one chapter every year is too excessive, which they will meet by releasing 3 and 4 closer together in mid-2015. It's a longer wait than the six months between chapters that fans initially expected, even though Sunrise never officially announced this would happen.

Btw, a new promotional video was shown at a Bandai Namco event this weekend. I'd expect to see that uploaded somewhere, presumably on the official homepage, sooner or later.
KH91

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Finally. I was actually thinking about when Akito would continue and then this happens. lol Looks like I'll be rewatching the whole series next year.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:49 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
jr0904 wrote:

If you are talking about Akito, Funimation already announced the license.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-08-10/funimation-adds-code-geass/akito-the-exiled-video-anime-series

that i know already. but its for the streaming license for its website. unfortunately it haven't said anything yet on it acquiring the rights to release it on DVD.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:15 pm Reply with quote
So this is really happening. I better get on R2 at some point.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1