• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Final Fantasy XIII Trilogy Heads to PC via Steam

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Psajdak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:05 am Reply with quote
Well, even if I said I don't want to give SE my money, but rather pirate it, actually, it's not really like it's some rebellion, or whatever.

I mean, I don't consider myself buying one game as something that will benefit SE at all...

It's just that pirate version is something that have what I want, and I'll enjoy playing it, while original doesn't.

As for the price of original, it's rather cheap, and I don't play that often anyway, so it's not like I'm trying to save money by pirating it.

And about DCL with japanese language, I know latest FFXIII game has it, but that sort of thing should be by default included in game.
It's almost like "What's next? Paying for >> being able to move your character around DCL<<?
SynergyMan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:54 am Reply with quote
Julliant wrote:
Leland Lee wrote:
Psajdak wrote:
As usual, I won't buy any Final Fantasy game without the option for original audio, so I'll just wait for someone to release fan patch for it, and just get myself whole pirated version from torrent.

I don't mind paying full price for games that have option of choosing language, so there's no way am I going to waste my money on a butchered product, and support it, thank you very much.

Weaboo much?

What's wrong with that? Anyone holds the art in higher regard will always want the original audio as opposed to a dub. I will watch a French show in French (Wakfu), a Bollywood movie in Tamil/Hindi, a Japanese game/anime in Japanese, and a Hollywood movie in English, because that was language the script was written in. When a writer pens a script, he does so in his or her own language, and it carries a lot of nuances, subtleties, and references to culture, plus different languages have different means of expression.

If people go for dubs, that's their prerogative, but there is a reason why people want the original audio.

Anyone who compares dubs of animation/games to live action dubbing really needs to work with better analogies. They tend to compare apples to oranges, but here's three reasons why you're wrong. 1. The game was recorded in English before the game was completed, so that implies both languages were part of the game's development. Two, it's a game, so more important things matter. To rephrase the lovely and funny RickyRay, it's more about controls and gameplay than voice acting. To equate video game voice acting to animation voice acting is pretty far fetched. Not comparable at all. One is obviously more important than the other. Three, video games aren't art. As the definition of art implies creativity, this rules out video games, at least the modern ones, as many are not creativity when it comes to graphics, gameplay, sound, design, etc.

@Hawkwing If you hate the English language, why are you typing in it? Also, you made a mistake on lip syncing. Lip syncing was done for the English dub of FFXIII. It's every bit as good as the Japanese version. It's not like Final Fantasy X or something. Get with the times. English lip syncing has been done in FF since X-2.
Fishmoose

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:18 am Reply with quote
SynergyMan wrote:
Anyone who compares dubs of animation/games to live action dubbing really needs to work with better analogies. They tend to compare apples to oranges, but here's three reasons why you're wrong. 1. The game was recorded in English before the game was completed, so that implies both languages were part of the game's development. Two, it's a game, so more important things matter. To rephrase the lovely and funny RickyRay, it's more about controls and gameplay than voice acting. To equate video game voice acting to animation voice acting is pretty far fetched. Not comparable at all. One is obviously more important than the other. Three, video games aren't art. As the definition of art implies creativity, this rules out video games, at least the modern ones, as many are not creativity when it comes to graphics, gameplay, sound, design, etc.

@Hawkwing If you hate the English language, why are you typing in it? Also, you made a mistake on lip syncing. Lip syncing was done for the English dub of FFXIII. It's every bit as good as the Japanese version. It's not like Final Fantasy X or something. Get with the times. English lip syncing has been done in FF since X-2.

Your last two points are subjective. As for the first, you ignored what Julliant said about cultural references, etc.

People have different preferences and that's fine. I reported Leland Lee's original post as soon as it was posted because I knew it would lead to another one of these pointless original vs. dub fights. Don't know why it was left alone, because frankly it was quite obviously just a rude remark.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:57 am Reply with quote
Psajdak wrote:
It's just that pirate version is something that have what I want, and I'll enjoy playing it, while original doesn't.

As for the price of original, it's rather cheap, and I don't play that often anyway, so it's not like I'm trying to save money by pirating it.

Fair enough, FFXIII is a 4 year old game at this point, and they've already made a ton of money off it.

Psajdak wrote:
And about DCL with japanese language, I know latest FFXIII game has it, but that sort of thing should be by default included in game. It's almost like "What's next? Paying for >> being able to move your character around DCL<<?

Yeah, S-E should've just included it in the first place. Even with Drakengard 3 the japanese audio was included as a preorder bonus, so its weird they didn't do the same for FFXIII. Hopefully, they'll include it for XIII-2 and Lightning Returns.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:58 pm Reply with quote
CoreSignal wrote:

Even with Drakengard 3 the japanese audio was included as a preorder bonus,

There's not that much lip-synching in Drakengard 3. Most speech don't involve mouth movements.
ThisGuy010

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:09 pm Reply with quote
I would like to say that I am a supporter of buying whatever voice work is put in front of me be it Japanese or English. It matters more to me in this case that I support more S-E games going to PC than it does to want different voice work. I'm looking at the bigger picture here.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:36 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
There's not that much lip-synching in Drakengard 3. Most speech don't involve mouth movements.

This probably explains why it was a preorder bonus/DLC. Drakengard 3 not being a big budget title, makes it less of a hassle to include the japanese audio. Well, if you have to have the japanese audio, I guess its better than nothing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3