• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sega Also Has Copyright Complaints Against Hi Score Girl Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:53 am Reply with quote
All this is showing is it also happened to Sega.

But if more stories open up that it also happened to yet other game companies, then it would show that Square Enix was systematically jumping the gun and asking permissions later.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:11 pm Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:
As far as pulling the manga off the shelf all Square Enix is doing is making a "Good Faith" effort to stop infringing on SNK's IP. There is no real chance that all the copies of the manga would be pulled, especially on this side of the Pacific.

I actually have all five volumes sitting on my bookshelf right now.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:18 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
Hameyadea wrote:
SNK: We did not receive any form of request to use our material, we're suing
Sega: ALL ABOARD!

What am I missing here? Nothing in what I just read made me think that Sega were actually going to be suing SE.

Are some just reacting to the headline?

Anyway, it seems like Sega were alright with it in the end. They gave their blessing on the proviso that they get to see how their characters are going to be used/portrayed before it's released. They also see it as a little piece of PR for their game.

Sega seem so nice! Laughing

OK, it seems you've missed my point. I meant that Sega is boarding the Hate Train. The issue was resolved a few years ago, why do they feel it necessary to mention it now. Also, the deal with SNK is going on a few weeks now, which rises the same question: "why now?"
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:31 am Reply with quote
I think Sega is just making a statement now, because of the SNK thing, because it's evidence that there is a pattern to the use of copyrighted characters without/before permission is granted.
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Haaaaaaaa yeah, SEGA actually one of the more cutthroat companies in the industry, they cut their own throat constantly just to prove this.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:07 am Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
OK, it seems you've missed my point. I meant that Sega is boarding the Hate Train. The issue was resolved a few years ago, why do they feel it necessary to mention it now. Also, the deal with SNK is going on a few weeks now, which rises the same question: "why now?"

I did miss your point, because I don't see it that way at all.

This all would stem from SNK's action against SE over the use of their characters. Thought it would be obvious that someone would end up asking another company about the use of their characters and when/if permission was granted.

From what I gather, this article doesn't elude to Sega coming out and making a statement on the use of their characters. It does seem like Sega was asked about it and they answered. If there was something that made me think that it was Sega who came out to talk about this issue, then I probably would've been following your train of thought.

As for SNK's timing, it seems like the issue was brought to their attention when those making the anime went out to get permission to use their characters in the anime. Because, whatever agreements SE had in place for the manga (or didn't have) would probably not include animation.
Master Chief Snake

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:48 pm Reply with quote
First was SNK, now SEGA. Square Enix has got sued again. Remember when SEGA sue Level-5 for patent infringement on Inazuma Eleven series for Nintendo's handhelds such as DS and 3DS. Similar court between Philips vs Nintendo when Philips has won the lawsuit against Nintendo for patent infringement over with Wii motion controller. So Square Enix has close partnership with 3rd-party game industries such as Namco Bandai. As right now, I have not support and boycott SEGA just like TotalBiscuit (British video game critic) who also boycott SEGA for removing Shining Force III videos on YouTube. Unlike TotalBiscuit, I just got banned by SEGA out of their forum. SEGA are ruined everything such as Alien: Colonial Marines (which is lack of innovation and launch failure). I haven't played Alien: Colonial Marines, but I saw Angry Joe reviewed Alien: Colonial Marines which he gave 4/10 (due to bugs and glitches, the storyline and walkthrough is too short, difficulty is to broken and false, the A.I. controls are badly programmed and messed up, lack of scary effect, and worst ending. But he gave the praised for this game due to good graphic, better customizable for both faction (such as Marines and Aliens/Xenomorphs) on loadouts and skins). Right now, there is suit and dispute between Gearbox Software and SEGA after Alien: Colonial Marines were released. Oh yes, I am member of Angry Joe Show Army (AJSA) clan led by Angry Joe. So anyway, if anyone making an copyright and using license references without permission will get sued. Kind like did on Anita Sarkeesian who's talk about female characters on video games (Feminist Frequency's Tropes vs Women in Video Games). However, she was being attacked by gamers (mostly male) and other attackers for what she did on many reasons. Besides she is not a gamer (which is rarely played on video game) due to dislike playing violent video game, she is feminist and girl power, and she is greedy on Kickstarter. She had to copy the YouTube video about playing video game and video game cutscenes. Then she paste it on her own video without permission and no credit to the YouTube gamers that they were played. She also stole the art from Dragon's Lair made by CowKitty (Tammy as her real given name) on her own Kickstarter and no credit to Tammy without permission. Then she apologies to Tammy because it's the banner and brand promotion by Anita Sarkeesian. What an copyright problem on video game. I just saw Angry Joe's Top 10 Gaming Controversies of 2013.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:50 am Reply with quote
Master Chief Snake wrote:
First was SNK, now SEGA.

I can only assume you didn't read the article. A SEGA representative was asked about the issue at hand and they said that initially characters were used before permission was given, so they placed a restriction on the use of their characters (being able to check how they're used before things are published) which is entirely reasonable.

They're not suing. The matter was handled and permission was given.
The Ancient One

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
I wonder why Sega waits a few weeks to do these complaints. There could be even more trouble if the series would get itself in if they made an anime of it.

Personally I find it surprising that Sega never considered filing lawsuit against Square Enix when it came to using characters for the High Score Girl Manga, especially in light of one of the High Score Girl Manga pages actually showing the Jurassic Park Arcade and even more-so when High Score Girl already featured characters from Sega before Sega got the chance to say either yes or no.

Considering the fact that Sega did get the licenses to make Jurassic Park video games back in the 1990s (among with a few other video gaming companies back then) this doesn't even mean that Sega owns the rights to Jurassic Park since that alone belongs to Universal Studios.

Further more this lawsuit SNK Playmore filed against Square Enix awhile ago is just the beginning, due to the sheer fact that the Special Thanks on Square Enix's High Score Girl manga doesn't even credit NeitherRealm Studios since Midway went bankrupt back in 2009 and NeitherRealm Studios formed and bought the rights to Mortal Kombat back in 2010 (good thing its formed by the same people who made Mortal Kombat beforehand).

In any case, I highly doubt neither Square Enix nor the High Score Girl creator Rensuke Oshikiri ever asked NeitherRealm Studios nor Universal Studios permission to feature neither Jurassic Park nor Mortal Kombat in any of it's forms (including the Jurassic Park arcade Sega made way back) so if somebody from Sega is reading this, you guys should reconsider while you still got the chance, otherwise someone from Universal Studios will be knocking on your door and ask on why Jurassic Park arcade is doing on the High Score Girl manga.

As for Japanese Copyright Laws for those who don't know, here's some light into what I'll explain as mentioned in this older article.

Article 119
A person who infringes on the copyright, right of publication or neighboring rights (excluding, however, (a) a person who reproduces by himself a work or performance, etc. for private use purposes as provided for in Article 30, paragraph (1) (including cases where applied mutatis mutandis pursuant to provisions of Article 102, paragraph (1)); (b) a person who, pursuant to the provisions of Article 113, paragraph (3), commits an act deemed to constitute an act of infringement on the copyright or neighboring rights (including rights deemed to constitute neighboring rights pursuant to the provisions of Article 113, paragraph (4); the same shall apply in Article 120-2, item (iii)); (c) a person who commits an act deemed to constitute an act of infringement on a copyright or neighboring rights pursuant to the provisions of Article 113, paragraph (5); (d) or a person described in items (iii) or (iv) of the following paragraph) shall be punishable by imprisonment with work for a term not more than ten years or by a fine of not more than ten million Yen, or by both.

To simply put also means copyright infringement in Japan is either a 10 million yen fine, 10 years in prison or both.

Further more because Square Enix committed over 100 violations of copyright law also means they'll have to defend those 100 copyright violations not to mention the fact that they'll end up paying a whooping 1 billion yen fine plus more from court fees as well as lawyer fees, in addition if NeitherRealm Studios gets involved and perhaps Universal Studios (assuming Square Enix didn't ask permission to use their respectful franchises), they'll end up joining in among with SNK Playmore.
Master Chief Snake

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
Master Chief Snake wrote:
First was SNK, now SEGA.

I can only assume you didn't read the article. A SEGA representative was asked about the issue at hand and they said that initially characters were used before permission was given, so they placed a restriction on the use of their characters (being able to check how they're used before things are published) which is entirely reasonable.

They're not suing. The matter was handled and permission was given.
I know, right. That was my imagination. SEGA has close partnership with Square Enix. Remember there is ESA (Entertainment Software Association) members for video game industries such as Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, EA, SEGA, CAPCOM, Namco Bandai, Square Enix, Ubisoft, Take-Two Interactive (such as 2K and Rockstar), and some of video game companies they are existed. THQ has been removed due to THQ went out of the business back in 2013. But Eidos has moved to Square Enix due to buyout acquired. So Square Enix has published the credit for video game industries on High Score Manga.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2