• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Share A Picture of your Manga Collection.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:51 am Reply with quote
^Do you have any idea how much worse some of our collections would be if a lot of us could read Japanese? It makes us all insanely jealous! I mean, you can read and buy series that don't have a snowball's chance in hell of making it over here (and old classic 70s shojo, argh!)
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:39 pm Reply with quote
haha yeah id have 100+ volumes of ippo for a start
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:49 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
^Do you have any idea how much worse some of our collections would be if a lot of us could read Japanese? It makes us all insanely jealous! I mean, you can read and buy series that don't have a snowball's chance in hell of making it over here (and old classic 70s shojo, argh!)

Manga (ones that have furigana) make for really good kanji learning material. =P

My only problem is space, really. And the prospect of one day returning to the States, OMG. I've got TONS of magazines too. I don't want to even think about how much it'll cost me to ship all this. x__x

So much manga I want to buy but have to resort to borrowing... Shingeki, Magi, Oofuri, Dia no Ace......
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:32 am Reply with quote
oofuri, another series id be buying were it possible.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:54 am Reply with quote
RAmmsoldat wrote:
oofuri, another series id be buying were it possible.

Same here, that Haikyu and Kimi to Boku would be my top 3 that I'd wish to own. I own all Kimi to Boku releases in Japanese though I can't read them - looking to eventually do the same with the other 2 listed above.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tamaria

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:34 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:

I'd fly past the 3000 mark in no time. Good thing Japanese editions are generally smaller and cheaper than English ones...
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:49 pm Reply with quote
I'd have pretty much all the sports manga ever made and Rose of Versailles and all the Ai Yazawa Viz doesn't want to touch.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:20 am Reply with quote
Only a small fraction, since a majority of mine is back in storage in the states, but here's a picture from a year ago:

I have a lot more now. -_-; I moved the DVDs to a completely different shelf.

This is usually the picture I give to TV stations when they want to see my collection when I'm on.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:07 am Reply with quote
Hey, a Rollo... thing!

They handed out masks based on the same image at Animecon and one of ours ended up sitting on our table for a good part of the weekend.

(We're a crafts club that gives workshops and sells cute stuff at anime conventions. What you see there is our makeshift homebase. We had a water cooker for tea and lots of German chocolate <3)
CarolinaMangaLibrary

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Here's the most recent images of the Carolina Manga Library. We've got about 500-600 books sitting on the floor of our office right now because we don't have the shelf space yet (if you want to help go to [url]igg.me/at/carolinamangalibrary[/url])

Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:42 pm Reply with quote
I take it those photos were taken when you set up at a specific convention?? The room itself, especially the tables and chairs scream hotel meeting space.

Do you have a permanent location where you set up when you are not at convention? If so where is it?
CarolinaMangaLibrary

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
I take it those photos were taken when you set up at a specific convention?? The room itself, especially the tables and chairs scream hotel meeting space.

Do you have a permanent location where you set up when you are not at convention? If so where is it?

Yup, this was our setup at Matsuricon in Columbus, OH in August 2014. Right now our library is strictly a traveling library. We set up at conventions, events, and shows to allow free access to all sorts of graphic novels. We are also free to conventions that want a manga library for people to sit down and chill during the shows. We even have an extensive anime DVD library with personal DVD players to check out from us. For even more fun (and our only revenue) we raffle off our wallscrolls throughout the weekend.

Currently we do not have a permanent facility. We found that we can serve more people by doing shows and cons and spread the gospel of literacy via graphic novel must better on the road.

We're actually doing an Indiegogo campaign right now to get better shelves (those plastic ones are horrible but functioning) and to get our own trailer. If you know someone willing to donate a couple of dollars, please send them our link: http://igg.me/at/carolinamangalibrary
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:03 pm Reply with quote
I just realized that that is South Carolina on your logo. That puts you beyond reasonable reach even if you did have a permanent location.
CarolinaMangaLibrary

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
I just realized that that is South Carolina on your logo. That puts you beyond reasonable reach even if you did have a permanent location.

Yup, hence the "Carolina" in our name.

However, we ARE getting more and more shows from north of the Mason Dixon to invite us. We will be at Ohayocon in January, and most likely back at Matsuricon again in August. Both are in Columbus, OH. We pretty much go to any show that will have us, so simply write to your local conventions, give them our website, and tell them in invite us.

The website for the organization is www.carolinamangalibrary.com And we do ALL graphic novels, not just manga. We have comics from DC, Marvel, Image, Vertigo etc, plus webcomic compilations, stand alone graphic novels, and even comic strip anthologies.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Well, there is a North Carolina which is only about an hour south of here. Laughing The Mason Dixon Line is a good four hours north of here. (That is the border between Pennsylvania and Maryland).

And, sorry, I'm not a convention goer. I'm a bit out of that demographic.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 37 of 38