• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Official Manga Recommendation Thread (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:40 am Reply with quote
Added Real Lies then. I actually just read Mitsukazu Mihara's RIP, I quite enjoyed that one too, it really makes me wish someone would mass- license some of her stuff (Viz or Kodansha? No clue who has rights there)

Didn't know Honey Mustard was on perm-hiatus, thanks for that info!

I've gone through Tokyopop and Yen's manhwa catalog, I'm missing NetComics and who else? It seems like all the big manhwa only people disappeared so...
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:41 am Reply with quote
Dark Horse and Udon publish small amounts of manhwa each. I wish Vertical would license more Mitsukazu Mihara. Most of her stuff is published by Shodensha in Japan.
Desertking22

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:44 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering, I've always loved the anime of One Piece and Dragon Ball Z....was wondering if the manga are worth it.
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:59 pm Reply with quote
You live in the US, right? Do you live near a library? Libraries often have manga these days, and definitely popular things like One Piece. It all depends on how you feel about the format of manga itself, and if you're not sure, all I can say is to borrow some from the library to start things off. I personally like the format, but it's a very subjective thing that no one on here can answer for you.
The manga for longer running shonen like that though tend to be a bit more streamlined. DBZ has a ton of filler, so the manga tends to feel like it flows faster. This means no awesome episodes where Goku and Piccolo try to get a driver's license, but it also means that it doesn't take 5 episodes for Namek to actually blow up.
On the plus side, both One Piece and DB/DBZ have some cheapo 3-in-1s if you decide to buy. MSRP of $15 for 3 volumes of manga basically (DBZ has VizBigs which are $20 but are glorious and oversized)
Desertking22

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:31 pm Reply with quote
I've read a few one piece sagas such as
The first chapter, the chapter with the guy stuck in a treasure chest, the current saga and the saga with ummm spoiler[death of luffys brother] and I reread them all the time through my shonen jumps, where as DBZ I did enjoy the anime but it's been awhile.
Jwright912

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:17 pm Reply with quote
[EDIT: Sorry. We don't allow advertising for personal projects or endeavors. Please try to keep threads and posts focused on pre-exising titles/franchises within the industry. Thank you for you cooperation. -TK]
thebeats42

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:43 am Reply with quote
I'm looking for some Yandere characters like Yuno Gasai in Mirai Nikki and Lucy from Elfen Lied. Thanks in advance Smile
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:59 am Reply with quote
^
I think that Shampoo in Ranma1/2 is yandere, after she switches from wanting to kill Ranma to wanting to kill Akane, or any other girl who gets close to Ranma. But she might not hide her violent tendencies well enough to be a real yandere.

The same could be said of Kikyo in Inuyasha.

Yuna is a very extreme yandere in the Maburaho anime but I do not remember if she is like that in the manga, which is only two volumes.

Belldandy* is a subconscious yandere in Oh My Goddess!, and a potentially lethal one.

Both Momoka and Tamama in Sgt. Frog are yandere, but considering the nature of the series you might call them yandere parodies rather than true yandere.

*Speaking of Belldandy, are there any others who might be considered a yamato nadeshiko yandere?
One of the characters in the Shuffle anime would probably qualify, but I do not think that there was a manga adaptation of that. And her identity is a spoiler.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Desertking22

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm looking for some manga to go with my collection. First of all for large extreme series I am working on One Piece and Naruto....maybe Bleach. Other series I enjoyed and have are:
Nisekoi
Deadman Wonderland
Death Note
Attack on Titan
Another
i am Here
Fruits Baskets
Juvenile Orion
Shaman King
.hack//Legend of the Twilight
Magic Knight Rayearth

Iffy on:
Ranma 1/2
D-Grayman
Mudang Harada

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:32 am Reply with quote
Any manga that displays dirty machiavellian history instead of clean cut heroes and tries to be historically accurate?
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:57 am Reply with quote
Mudang Harada wrote:
Any manga that displays dirty machiavellian history instead of clean cut heroes and tries to be historically accurate?

I can't think of anything strictly historical series or manga series, but I would try the anime series Legend of the Galactic Heroes, wherein a corrupt democracy fights a pretty awesome monarchy (but yeah, every form of government in this world is corrupt, some just seem to be worse than others). In space! But there's no clear cut good or bad guys and both sides have complete jerks on them and backstabbing on their own side. I recall one strategy from one side being to stop delivering food and supplies to some of their smaller planets to force the enemies to act all humanitarian and deplete their supplies by giving them to the planets, thus weakening them when they actually got to the big guns. Even though it's a scifi series, it seems to play out more like an historical epic that happens to take place in space, I was seriously expecting the last episode to pull back on some classy dude reading a history book in a big red chair next to a fire place with a glass of wine or something.
kojiro1137

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:43 am Reply with quote
Hi, Im a guy and my favorite manga is Angel Densetsu because its really funny. I like reading comedy, action, and adventure. Im not interested in romance but I dont mind a little.
Im wanting to read a manga thats about someone trying to survive in the wilderness.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:07 am Reply with quote
Btooom is the first series that came into my head -

Quote:
Ryōta Sakamoto is an unemployed 22-year-old young man who lives with his mother Yukie. He is one of the world's top players of the combat video game called Btooom!. One day, he awakes in what appears to be a tropical island, though he does not remember how or why he has been transported there. While wandering around, Ryōta sees someone and calls out for help. The stranger responds by throwing a bomb at him. Ryōta soon realizes that his life is in danger and that he has somehow been trapped in a real-life version of his favorite game.

Might not be exactly what you are looking for as the characters aren't trying to survive in their environment but more each other.

Limit is another series though it is only 6 volumes long -

Quote:
This manga focuses on Mizuki Konno, a typical high school junior at Yanno Prefectual High School. A group of girls is on their way to a camp when the driver passes out and causes the bus to drop from a cliff. The few survivors gather together and try to survive until rescue comes.

This short series does a good job of showing both the metal and psychical strains of survival.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AliceAlter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:27 pm Reply with quote
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:00 am Reply with quote
mahoromatic would count too i think
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 24 of 33