• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tokyo Ghoul (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Damn, that was a lot of torture..
In all the pain he kept going back to his childhood.
His "talks" with Rize were more like negotiations.
That Jason is a true monster and deserves to die horribly.
Finally he embraced Rize and went to full power!
Kaneki's fight with Jason was amazing!!
Things just started to get very interesting.
Didn't get the feeling of a final episode from this.
Hope this will get another season at some point in the future.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Season 2 is coming out this January.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:04 pm Reply with quote
That was dumb. I hate when you know exactly what's going to happen but you have to wait 20 minutes for the show to catch up with you. Sitting through that torture stuff was repellent and tedious - gosh, that's what I watch shows for! Rolling Eyes

I did find the theme of being weak but passing it off as kindness interesting. But again, I picked up on it quickly and the show insisted on hitting me over the head with it long after it was already processed.

Now that Kaneki is finally out of his boring ineffective phase, the second season might actually be fun to watch.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
That was dumb. I hate when you know exactly what's going to happen but you have to wait 20 minutes for the show to catch up with you. Sitting through that torture stuff was repellent and tedious - gosh, that's what I watch shows for! Rolling Eyes

I did find the theme of being weak but passing it off as kindness interesting. But again, I picked up on it quickly and the show insisted on hitting me over the head with it long after it was already processed.

Now that Kaneki is finally out of his boring ineffective phase, the second season might actually be fun to watch.

Yea, Kaneki has been a massive, massive drag on this show. It's still been a pretty good show in my opinion despite his pitiful ineffectiveness though. But yea, waiting until the final episode of a season before the MC has any kind of serious development, and then throwing everything but the kitchen sink at us (with such insanely high pitched torture) was just plain bad. They have guts for doing it the way they did, but it didn't work.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:50 am Reply with quote
Episode 12

That is how they end the show? Bullshit! That is not how you end a story, not even if you are planning on using it to gain suspense for another season. I think they did exactly what was going on in the episode, they decided to focus on one thing and sacrifice the other, and they sacrificed "story" for "psychological drama". Although I guess that I do have complement it for the psychological drama as it was pretty top notch. I think that is one compliment to give the series in whole, it is why the first episode was so catching as it was really good at getting us into his head. But that quality was not passed onto all aspects on the show making some parts feel a little unfinished in comparison.

Analysing the episode it seems that a central theme was him transforming. After the accident he had his body transform, the moment when he first got the power released was a big moment in showing that he is not human. I might think that next he had his image transformed, him being wanted by the gourmet, caring to the little girl, and him wearing the mask was indicative of that. spoiler[Finally, in this episode, he had his mind transformed, in the end he broke free of his chrysalis, spread his wings, and was one monstrous butterfly].

Well, this show might have been excellent, but it failed at giving a fitting conclusion which seemed to be on part of some mistakes in story. I will rate it Very good, I think it is one of those don't miss it type of series just for the psychological aspect, not too far off from what happened with Attack on Titan.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:28 am Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:

The site removed the link from what I heard so I think it's just a rumor rather than legitimate.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:05 pm Reply with quote
I finally got to watching episode 12 and I really enjoyed it - there were a few minor changes here and there but overall it retained the manga's theme. The torture scenes were brutal, hard to watch, and well done -- spoiler[ Kaneki struggling to break out of the chains as he imagined his close ones die made me feel the pain he's going through in as he's being tortured. I also really like how Kaneki came to conclusion that he's not at fault but the world. This is quite a significant development to his passive character. ]

Aide from this episode ending in a cliffhanger, i find that the anime did a good jobs with covering the themes of the manga but the characters not so much. Now, if I could separate my manga bias, i would give this a Very Good but as of now it's Good -- the latest episode boosted my perception of the show. I would like to raise some discussion but I don't think I should until the second season (if there is one) airs.

DuskyPredator wrote:

spoiler[Finally, in this episode, he had his mind transformed, in the end he broke free of his chrysalis, spread his wings, and was one monstrous butterfly].

Not quite a butterfly but I'm going to leave it at that because I'll be saying too much. Wink
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:12 am Reply with quote
Even though I'd heard about how the show was (probably) going to get another season in January before watching this last episode, I can't say I expected an ending quite so...not-an-ending as this. I mean, spoiler[nothing from the previous episode was resolved, other than Kaneki finally freeing himself from the torture, I guess.] Also, while I can see that the psychological aspect of the whole thing was well done, and enjoyed watching the scenes that took place within Kaneki's mind, the actual torture scenes were hard to watch, although I admittedly have a weak stomach for things like that.

Overall I thought this show was really, really good, I just wish they had picked a better way to end it. But I'll still definitely watch a second season, were it to happen.
DjGreekhunter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:05 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
WhiteHairGirls wrote:

The site removed the link from what I heard so I think it's just a rumor rather than legitimate.

I think that there is an article here on ANN animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-09-19/website-2nd-tokyo-ghoul-anime-season-begins-in-january/.78943 I haven't seen any correction ( i personally believe it's just leaked info from unofficial chinese website that's why they dilisted it - no permission to post it) so probably season 2 coming January it's true cause ANN is an official website. The creator has already stated to the fans " Expect news in the officials sites for Tokyo Ghoul" (rephrased). Also correct me if i'm wrong in November 11th there is the Tokyo Ghoul event, which will be held in Tokyo. Mb they want to release tha date then (MCs VAs will attend also). Seems Legit!
source: http://otapark.com/archives/7175
PERSONAL OPINION: I think they were already fixing season 2 before season 1 ends & they are waiting for the right moment to announce it! END of season 1 was worst than a simple cliffhanger (all the fights plus the final fight which was left without a clear conclusion)

p.s I apologize for my English!
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:23 pm Reply with quote
I would of personally preferred a remake but the rumor wasn't true. It was listed on a random streaming site that I've never even heard of and later got delisted according to a CR news article.

I agree that the show does deserve a sequel though considering the way it ended. Maybe we'll hear from that in the next event. I also have a feeling the manga might get a continuation as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Apparently, season 2 will be titled: Tokyo Ghoul √A

The latest update we got just yesterday is that amazarashi will be performing the new ED song. Along with that, there are also info revealed that Ishida (the author) will be "credited with the original story concept for the second season."

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-10-11/tokyo-ghoul-2nd-anime-season-video-teases-new-story-by-creator/.79825
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Watching it right now, 6 episodes in, and... well... it's a conventional plot with standard themes and characters, but that doesn't mean it can't be executed well enough to be fun and likeable, and this show for the most part does enough... except for one HUGE misstep that kind of ruins its for me.

I've heard this cuts out a lot of content of the manga, and never read it but wau does it show. They try to avoid an exhausting dense two-lines-in-one-second pacing and nice for them, but this clearly had a lot of content that now that is missing makes some parts of the story or scenes look very very rushed. You still get the intention, but you can't feel any conexion when you are more distracted thinking "Wait, you are going so fast showing this part/dialogue already? Too soon!". Examples are Kaneki in episode 3 hugely concerned and asking about the ghoul little girl despite only seeing her in one scene (two dolars that there were more little scenes where Kaneki interacted or at least was interested in the girl between), or glasses ghoul suddenly reappearing in episode 5 (I thought he was dead!) and forcing us quick constant nonstopping exposition about him and his human kind-of-girlfriend, backstory, and being their appearance too convenient so the villain ghoul can kidnap the girlfriend and force that situation.

They try to cut all the small moments and dialogues/lines (or that's my guess, but it's unlikely it's that minimal in the manga) to keep only the minimal esentia pieces to tell the story, and that's a problem because it makes you see every episode as a template of plot/character devices: "Oh, this is the episode where the main character will reflect about whether he will be able to resist his hunger against his friend, oh the scene that establishes their friendship directly to the audience, oh the scene where the main character doubts about being with him, oh the scene where it almost tries to eat his friend, oh etc.". It's so transparent that's what I feel while watching it, there's no little moments or lines that make me forget that this is a work of fiction and get me into the characters or something, and it's not an unpredictable plot that hides its schemes. With this mindstate, when this first line with the ghoul mother and daughter's argument (ep. 6) was said I only could see this right up in the screen.

So I feel bad for this show because it's not that bad, and even the direction, animation, etc. is solid, and probably this is due to a limit of episodes and they wanted to end it in a specific point so they had to rush content, so I cannot be mad with anybody (maybe with the 11/13 episode limit?), but sorry, doesn't work for me. I'll still end this 1st season, but not sure whether it would be better to read the manga if it goes on like this.

P.S.: Lovely Ending's pictures <3
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:09 am Reply with quote
Season 2 (root) episode 1:

spoiler[Well, that was actually impressive imo although I'm not sure I like the new OP song. I like the OST/theme song at the end before the credits much better.

Action was good on most parts especially with Kaneki involved with his new abilities. And wow, that is quite the development at the end there....]
The artwork was great as well.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:48 pm Reply with quote
It's baaack!! and it has white hair now ^^
spoiler[Touka got one hell of a beating from Ayato..
Those anti ghoul guys were in an interesting fight.
Touka got lucky Kaneki showed up to make things right.
Kaneki]
seems so calm now... calm and dangerous.
Great first episode!
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:55 pm Reply with quote
As much as i loved this episode I can definitely say it would have been better suited as last season's finale. No harm done though.

They haven't exactly explained the process of making their weapons yet but why exactly wouldn't the police have stock piles of that spoiler["ghoul armor"]? Sure it's just a spoiler[prototype] atm but at as long as they don't go into spoiler[overdrive mode] it works perfectly fine from what we've seen. Maybe the Doves are the only people who can use it but even if that's the case Amano should have had one regardless. Then again their weapons are made from the Kagune's of ghouls and I think only decently powerful ghouls have those in the first place so they might be tricky to get a hold of. Bleh just theory-crafting here. Hope there is some clarity on that though. The bullet proof vests don't exactly do much when ghouls can just impale them or shoot them with their Kagune's which have much more power than normal bullets.

I'm glad Kaneki spoiler[still retains his human side even with his new powers.] Last season kind of scared me into thinking he might jump the shark and turn into another psycho killer character but it's nice to seespoiler[ he's still able to think straight while making rational decisions.] He was able to see the spoiler[group Touka's brother was a part of had more to it than everyone else thought (which slowly became apparent to the viewers as well during the episode) which is likely why he joined them.] Yeah he could have at least gave spoiler[Touka a better farewell than he did] but given how big of a shock it was going to be to her I think it's generous spoiler[he said anything at all.
]

Oh and Kaneki and his cheeky badassery makes me giggle like a school girl. I already loved him before but now I'm 100% gay for the guy Embarassed
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 15