• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Haikyu!! (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
spoiler[And Shohoku lost in the end.] That's what makes it so great. I would've been happy for them regardless of the result, but I think it evokes that much more emotion spoiler[because they lost.]

Never, It has nothing to do with "Shohoku lost in the end."

The entire manga is about them winning. Nobody knows they are going to lose, the last vol was all about them beating the #1 rank team in the tournament.

The game that they lost in the national wasn't even show on manga. They just ohh, we lost, the End..... So you think it was great because they said "we lost at the end." What emotion?
The manga was selling because they were winning. It has nothing to do with the ending.

I don't even know why you need spoiler on it. The rule you don't need spoiler if it's more than 10 year's old.

I don't know why you keep bring up "hard to write", "more interesting". What it matter if the writers want to do it or not. You can have a team keep winning and make it interest. "hard to write" is the stupidest excuses for any writer.

The question should be either you can do it or you can't do it. Not "hard to write"
bigivel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
Quote:
spoiler[And Shohoku lost in the end.] That's what makes it so great. I would've been happy for them regardless of the result, but I think it evokes that much more emotion spoiler[because they lost.]

The entire manga is about them winning. Nobody knows they are going to lose, the last vol was all about them beating the #1 rank team in the tournament.

The game that they lost in the national wasn't even show on manga. They just ohh, we lost, the End..... So you think it was great because they said "we lost at the end." What emotion?
The manga was selling because they were winning. It has nothing to do with the ending.

I don't even know why you need spoiler on it. The rule you don't need spoiler if it's more than 10 year's old.

I don't know why you keep bring up "hard to write", "more interesting". What it matter if the writers want to do it or not. You can have a team keep winning and make it interest. "hard to write" is the stupidest excuses for any writer.

The question should be either you can do it or you can't do it. Not "hard to write"

The thing is that Shohoku in Slam Dunk didn't won all games! They lost against Kainan, if you don't remember! That was the reason why Sakuragi changed his hair style and focused more to play basketball! Did you forgot that detail? Did you forgot how Sakuragi cried like a baby when his last pass that maybe could give them a victory was made to a player of the other team? It seems you did.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Nobody wins all the games. As long as you win the important one, you are good. This is how sports works. The Kainan game was meaningless if you look at the big picture. It's not an elimination game.
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:39 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
Nobody wins all the games. As long as you win the important one, you are good. This is how sports works. The Kainan game was meaningless if you look at the big picture. It's not an elimination game.

Nobody wins all the important games, not even the best teams. This is how sports work in the real world.

And if i'm watching sports anime i prefer a sense of realism because what's the point if it's obvious that the main team will win all the "important games"?
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:49 am Reply with quote
@Spotlessden

Wow, I don't know why you are SO caught up in this.

One of the reasons why no one "can do it" is because it's "hard to write." If the team wins and keeps on winning, you know they're going to win even the hard matches and then it just becomes predictable and not interesting. You can argue that the main team losing the first tournament may be predictable but it's the journey that makes it interesting and that first tournament is just setting up what's to come, whether they end up winning or losing. Losing gives the team purpose to improve.

I already said previously that sports anime are about development and overcoming hardships. You try writing a story where there is no wall to overcome-- Yes, I'll say it again: It's hard. It's hard to write in a way that will keep readers interested. What makes a good sports series great is the development of the players more so than the actual sport. You have to care for the characters and the best way to achieve that is to show them grow as an individual. There's no need for any further individual or team development if the main team already has all the assets they need to win.

You basically want someone to write a sports story without using elements that make a sports story interesting and you don't think that's hard?

If there's a sports series where the main team wins the big tournament on their first try, I can almost guarantee you that it's not as long or as successful as other sports series that follow the usual formula. I'd almost want to say that the reason the main team wins in that case is just because the series is going to be canceled and needs closure.

ANYWAY, last episode of Haikyuu!! was great. Eagerly waiting a second season announcement. (Perhaps at MBS Anime Festival next month?) Though with the official website stating, "We can't end it with a loss," it sounds like they indirectly saying that there will be a second season??
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:46 am Reply with quote
There was no announcement for the second season this time although the other sport show (spoiler[Baby Steps]) got one.

Anyways, it was a great finale overall. I liked the focus on the team and what they hope to achieve in the future too. Well, I think there is a chance at the event soon. If anything, there's also that event OVA coming in the future so I'll keep my hopes up.

Rating the show as EXCELLENT.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:51 am Reply with quote
@GokuMew2 sounds like it to me.

What a fabulous series and a cracking way to end the first season, definitely left open for an easy second and I wait for an official announcement with excitement.

Watching the end credits with the flash backs from previous episodes if had forgotten how far the series and the characters have come and grown.

Right now to pick up the manga Very Happy

Edit: rated Haikyu as a Masterpiece
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bigivel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:37 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
There was no announcement for the second season this time although the other sport show (spoiler[Baby Steps]) got one.

Anyways, it was a great finale overall. I liked the focus on the team and what they hope to achieve in the future too. Well, I think there is a chance at the event soon. If anything, there's also that event OVA coming in the future so I'll keep my hopes up.

Rating the show as EXCELLENT.

Well Baby Steps has 31 volumes already(If paced correctly around 4 seasons of content), Haikyuu!! has 12(A little more than 1.5 seasons). So Baby Steps only needed success, Haikyuu!! still needs content, and I'm not talking of only content to make the 2nd season, but to minimize future seasons, if it happens, production time, while still maintaining the high quality of course.

Now about this episode, it was an Amazing ending! Loved it!
They changed things from the manga, but nothing to much, except the entire Shiratorizawa play, in the anime they only showed Ushiwaka spike :'(, but that spike was EPIC.

Now waiting 1 year for 2nd season! :'(
Bugnin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:46 am Reply with quote
I really hope there will be a second season, but if there is they will need to give the manga time to create more source material.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:52 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
Quote:

It was more realistic that Shohoku lost in the end. Not only that, but they still went out as winners despite that.

Using an American college analogy, Shohoku was like a small school that struck gold with a handful of talented players, earned a #9 seed in the NCAA tournament, defeated the #8 seed in round one and then shocked the tournament's overall #1 seed in the second round.

That scenario has played out several times in the NCAA tounament. And you know it almost always ends? The #9 seed usually gets throttled by whoever they play in the third round. They don't have the depth to keep up that high level of play. And that's what happened to Shohoku. Heartbreaking for them, but from their standpoint they already accomplished beyond their wildest dreams.

I consider Slam Dunk the best piece of basketball fiction ever written, by anyone anywhere. It's that good.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:00 am Reply with quote
Bugnin wrote:
I consider Slam Dunk the best piece of basketball fiction ever written, by anyone anywhere. It's that good.

I agree. While the series would still have been very, very good, I don't think it would have had the same emotional impact had the series stretched on to show Shohoku win the entire tournament. The way it ended was just perfect.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:01 am Reply with quote
Our team was obviously in an angry-depressed state.
The tournament continued without them.
spoiler[Aoba Johsai] made it to the nationals after all..
Flashbacks to Karasuno's last game were a reminder of the heavy loss.
There came a point where spoiler[older members need to put more time into studying and their future.. but they still chose volleyball over it ^^]
Guessing volleyball days are pretty much over for them.
spoiler[Kageyama and Hinata] vented their frustration in the gym.
spoiler[Preparations for spring tournament gave them new wings!]
Nice final episode.
bigivel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:31 am Reply with quote
ookamigirl wrote:
Our team was obviously in an angry-depressed state.
The tournament continued without them.
spoiler[Aoba Johsai] made it to the nationals after all..
Flashbacks to Karasuno's last game were a reminder of the heavy loss.
There came a point where spoiler[older members need to put more time into studying and their future.. but they still chose volleyball over it ^^]
Guessing volleyball days are pretty much over for them.
spoiler[Kageyama and Hinata] vented their frustration in the gym.
spoiler[Preparations for spring tournament gave them new wings!]
Nice final episode.

Aoba Johsai didn't made to the nationals! Didn't you saw the episode? They lost against Shiratorizawa in the prefecture finals, they didn't even won a single set!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Episode 25

Haikyu was so good, it gets nothing less than an Excellent from me. From the first episode I found myself strangely attached to this show, and was one of my favourite recent anime, despite my initial thoughts when I saw that it was going to be a sports anime. That is what I like about anime, I can always end up surprised by things I would not think would happen.

So many of the characters ended up being totally awesome. Fitting with surprises, I found Tanaka a favourite like how he represented the series, hot blooded, kind of goofy, but with heart. And there is character development Kageyama had some great bits, and following with Hinata was never boring. Games could be long, but there was a masterful use of tension that never made it feel like it was overstaying its welcome.

Just like the characters, we can't let its stop here, we have to continue on, if we have to wait, so be it.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:12 pm Reply with quote
that was an excellent show. wasn't sure if I'd keep watching in the beginning, but I'm glad I'm stuck to to it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 23